Start by marking “The Unicorn Girl” as Want to Read:
The Unicorn Girl

The Unicorn Girl

~A Fairy Tale, Coming of Age Fantasy~

Leah Vindral is suffocating--trapped in her own skin.

In a land where magic is feared, magic saved her from death ... but it came with a terrible price. Marked forever, she is shunned and isolated by those she loves most.

Brimming with bitter rage at those who abandoned her, Leah flees from her childhood home only to be swept into an
Published April 4th 2008 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about The Unicorn Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unicorn Girl

Start your review of The Unicorn Girl
Cindy
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, WOW, WOW! What an amazing fairytale! I am not sure were to begin, it had everything, witches,elves, prince, knight (not so shinning armor), unicorns, dragons,sweet beginnings of first love, I am sure I am missing something. Such a delightful read, I was so captivated by the Leah's story, and all her adventures. Leah is a strong, stubborn,unique girl who is not like the other girls her age. She isn't into appearances only or how to trap a man, she has more substance. Leah gets and illness ...more
I had promised myself to review books deserving special recognition. While I have neglected this special gem, I recently finished another novel, and wanted to finish this while it's fresh on my mind.
The Unicorn Girl looked appealing initially because of its fantastic cover art. A former art major, myself, I have always found hand drawn covers appealing, when done right. The designer truly hit the mark, evoking memories of "The Last Unicorn." The girl on the cover beckons you to read her story.
Mellissa
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book was beautiful. I actually took longer than normal to read it because I didn't want it to end. This was suspenseful, mysterious, and felt like a fairytale fantasy.

The characters are deep and engaging, with multiple levels and dimensions. I enjoyed the character dynamics and interactions- much like real life; we were never sure of what another character was really thinking or planning.

The Unicorn Girl was full of plot questions. Readers will find themselves wondering about various
Rosie Amber
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young girl has secrets kept from her, but this only causes her to search harder for answers. A world of magic opens its doors and Leah goes on her own quest, learning more about herself on the way. Witches, monsters, dragons and unicorns all become part of her destiny. I had a few doubts about the book at the beginning, but it soon grew on me and I wanted to race through it to follow the adventure.
Jasmin
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I LOVED this book. The magic, the friendship, the adventure was absolutely gorgeous. From the very beginning the author unfolds the story of Leah's life and journey that has the reader turning pages as fast as possible and never wanting to put the book down. This book easily becomes a favorite that you'll want to share with all your friends. This book was absolutely excellent. I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Alana
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, 2012
i really enjoyed this story. there was a richness to the discriptions within the story. i could visulize every detail as if i was standing right within the story. it had believable character dialog. it had action, adventure, and even a few characters one loves to dislike.
i would have liked the background infomation about leah's mother and information on the connection to the unicorns closer to the beginning. (i would've loved a novella on just the background information because i wanted to
Lynette
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After winning the book, I realized that the author was from near my home town and my family knew her family. It took me a while with my schedule to get a chance to read this book. What was exciting was knowing the author's family and how great it was to read her book.

The story was a easy read with the characters being one all can relate to. You feel the emotions shared by the lead character, Leah. You want to learn more and follow through her adventure with the unicorns.

This is a great tale and
Cassie C
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won The Unicorn Girl from a Goodreads Giveaway. I thought the book was magical. The book sucks you in and you don't want to put it down. The author's writing style was fun and imaginative. It takes you on a ride with Leah,who is fifteen years old, through her lessons with Miss Perish on becoming a proper lady, her sleeping sickness,the physical and emotional changes after her sickness and an adventure where Leah encounters witches, vors,crags, dragons and even a sphinx in order to save the ...more
Karen
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With The Unicorn Girl, M.L. LeGette has created a wonderful YA fantasy and/or coming of age story. Throughout her endeavour, you can ‘watch’ Leah develop from a whiny little girl to a young woman who makes her own decisions. The Unicorn Girl is a really entertaining and fast-paced read. I was drawn into the story right away. I felt quite close to the characters and their experiences. All characters were believable, still leaving room for the readers’ imagination. The Unicorn Girl is a great ...more
M.L. LeGette
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am so excited to announce that I will now be posting my fiction online in chapter by chapter installments! Find me as mlegette. Expect a new chapter every Sunday on Royal Road Legends, FictionPress, and Wattpad.

Thank you everyone for the love and support.

xMelissa
Anne-katrin Clemens
A wonderful book.

It starts out a little slow but then picks up speed and you'll wonder where the pages went. A must read. I don't particularly like fantasy, but this book was really great.
Darlene
This is NOT McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl which is taking me forever to read. It is not on another planet or sci-fi interplanetary travel. In fact, it is set in a past of no cars. Horses provide the travel.

Though it is set in the past in a land I have never heard of, the author doesn't let it feel antiquated. She often uses modern colloquialisms that don't feel out of place even in the ancient world.

I was sad when the book ended. That doesn't happen often. Young People will love this, I think. The
Francine Soleil
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
originally posted here: http://alwayslostinbooks.wordpress.co...

I was pleasantly surprised by The Unicorn Girl. I would definitely pay for this book because it is simply lovely and entertaining. I just LOVE the covers for M.L. LeGette’s books. They’re all in grayscale, but they are simply stunning. This is the first book that I read from her (I have The Tale of Mally Biddle which I have yet to read), and I think she is a likable writer.

I’m sorry to say that I was a little impatient with the
Ryan
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read-won
When I started The Unicorn Girl, by M.L. LeGette I was hoping for a light easy entertaining read. That was exactly what I got. LeGette does a very nice job keeping the story moving and the reader engaged throughout.

The Unicorn Girl is the debut novel for M.L. LeGette. She started writing it when she was 14, and over the course of 6 years and many revisions her first novel was published in 2008. LeGette has since released another novel in 2010, For The Kingdom. LeGette not only uses her creative
Ty Zeiter
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first spotted this book while surfing Amazon I was immediately drawn to the beautiful fantasy/whimsical looking cover (at the time the cover was a colored version done by Mae Jones). After begging my parents I finally got it that winter as a Christmas Eve present. I read almost the entire 400-page book in one night! The characters were realistic and had different personalities, unique and entertaining. And they also had their own faults and failures which added so much depth to this teen ...more
Dani
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This YA fantasy novel follows the story of Leah, who is marked by the very magic that everyone fears. It saves her life, but sparks a series of events that are far out of her control and even further out of her comfort zone.

It's got such a fantastic plot; the book is exciting and relentless in its pacing. The visual story-telling just begs for a film adaptation (which I would be the first in line to go and see, by the way.) The simplicity and action orientation means that this book is perfect
Crystin McDaniel
Title: The Unicorn Girl by M. L. Legette
Genre: YA Fantasy
Leah Vindral isn't like other girls. She can't sew, pour tea, or dance - but she can ride like the wind. She doesn't look like a lady either with her pale skin, dark hair, and large green eyes. But after magic saves her from death, all of that changes. Suddenly she's beautiful - eerily so. The magic that cured her leaves an obvious mark - and now people she's known her entire life, the people she loves most, are afraid of her. Then there
Jenna
Could have been a very interesting story, but I don't know where to begin... I had a hard time reading this book. There were moments when I was having fun and enjoying it, but then I would feel absolutely frustrated!
I didn't understand why anyone was acting the way that they were. A lot of their actions weren't consistent with their personalities, it just seemed that the author forced some of the choices of the characters just so drive the plot. Also, the plot was a total cliche! Which, I guess
JanaMarga
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to an interview that this author made of one of my favourite writers (Jo Lallo), I got to know The Unicorn Girl. I was captivated both by the cover and the book description, and therefore, eager to read it.
Now that I finished it, I enjoyed greatly the story, and had a good time reading the book. However, I found that the events were too repetitive and the development of the book was going kind of slow. I was annoyed when I got to 60% of the book and still found no horizon to where the
Bernadette
There wasn't anything wrong with The Unicorn Girl. It was just... bland. Generic. The writing style felt stilted and stiff, with ly adverbs liberally scattered. There were elves - tall people with pointed ears who live in a shining castle, and about whom we know little else. There was the evil, cackling with her pet raven and plan to overthrow the world (all quite literally) and no other backstory. One dragon, who is described as the basic flying reptile. And the unicorns, white horned horses ...more
Brandi
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The Unicorn Girl completely surprised me. I judged this book by it's cover (not the best) and was so happy that I read it. M.L. LeGette has written a wonderful fantasy story that allows readers to follow Leah as she goes on the adventure of a lifetime. This book is packed full of fun, adventure, bravery, and the ever hard process of growing up. The writing in this story must be addressed, it is absolutely beautiful. There is nothing like being able to picture yourself in the story right along ...more
Bao
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I love this book! It is one of the page-turner that leave me breathless after every chapter. At first when I started the book, I thought that maybe I was a bit too old to start reading fairy tales stories like this. Boy, I was wrong! This novel is a mixture of suspense and mysteries, with such details that made me feel like I was traveling with Leah herself. I love the plot, love the characters (well, most of them), and can't wait for the author's next book.

PS: I want to thank the author
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-my-fav
I received a signed copy of The Unicorn Girl in a Goodreads giveaway. I was interested to see how ML LeGette was as a young writer and while I wasn't dissappointed in the way it was writen, the story took me on too many ups and downs. The beginning captured me, but then I became very uninterested, this made it hard for me to complete, and I'm sad to say, I haven't completed it as of yet. I'm hoping one day I will be able to get sucked into this book, but the story line just isn't what I'm ...more
Cherie
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Leah Vindral's story. You could see her growth through the book into the courageous young woman towards the end. My one complaint is that I would have liked to have gotten to know Ian better. I just did not feel the connection between he and Leah. His character really needed to be better developed. Also, the story dragged a bit in certain spots. I fund the part where she leaves home and wanders in the woods a bit boring. All in all, it was a good read. It just was missing that little ...more
Bonne Lynn
Remember in middle school and you had to create a story on your own version of a myth? That's what this reminded me off.

The first half of the book was your standard girl-doesn't-know-who-mom-really-is-strained-connection-with-dad-and-now-RUNAWAY. A little light on the dialogue, it was half deciding to be cheeky or real (e.g, you think witches ride on brooms, hahaha.)

The second half of the book was a little better.
Caitlin
Let me start by saying that this wasn't what I expected. The cover left me thinking that this would have been a book I would have enjoyed in my pre-teens, which isn't a bad thing but I've had a lot of trouble relating to books like that lately. But this one wasn't like that. It actual was cute and had a few twists that I didn't see coming.

I received this book through the Goodreads Firstreads Program.
Natalie
The Unicorn Girl is a young adult fantasy that is wonderfully clean. There is witches, elves, dragons and other creatures, and I love the cover. But what didn't endear me to it was the main character. I thought she was too whiny and full of angst, especially for a fantasy novel. Maybe it would appeal to a younger audience than myself? But even my young teen daughter gets annoyed at whiny characters.
Gaynell
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: legette-m-l
I got this for free on Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised at what a good fairy tale/fantasy story this was. It is obviously written for young adults, but I (60 years old) really enjoyed this story. It is set in medieval times with witches, elves, unicorns, and other fantastical creatures. I would recommend it for any age that enjoys reading fantasy stories.
Judie Dooley
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a goodreads win. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. the characters were defenitely interisting, and the story was full of twists and turns. I have found a new love for fairy tales that I once had as a child. Thank you for allowing me the chance to read this book. Judie
Aislinn
I received a signed copy of The Unicorn Girl in a Goodreads giveaway.
The Unicorn Girl was lovely. Mythical creatures,magic, evil forces, romance and plenty of adventure all contributed to a a fantastic story about hope and sacrifice.
Goodreads Librari...: alternate-cover edition 8 39 Dec 08, 2012 03:43PM
Goodreads Librari...: Someone changed the cover, revert back? 3 40 Dec 07, 2012 06:03PM
Fairy Tales, Kind...: The Unicorn Girl 1 6 Apr 11, 2012 05:37AM

• The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • Wild Beauty
  • Dark Horses
  • Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1)
  • The Seas
  • Growing Wings
  • The Woman Who Loved Reindeer
  • The Ice Queen
  • Ariel
  • Borne (Borne, #1)
  • The Mermaid Chair
  • The Firelight Girls
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Three Weeks With My Brother
  • Eliza and Her Monsters
  • Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)
  • New Blood (Vampire in the City, #1)
“There you go! That's better! You look good smiling! You know, you really shouldn't be gloomy all the time. I've met a good amount of gloomy people and they were just that--gloomy. Mopin' around like the end of the world had happened. Thinkin' that if they crack a grin they'll be carried away by goblins and such...” 4 likes
“Her name was Mora ... and she was waiting.” 2 likes