Start by marking “The Tale of Tom Kitten” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Tom Kitten

The Tale of Tom Kitten

(The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

The Tale of Tom Kitten is set in the cottage garden Beatrix created herself at Hill Top, the farm she owned near the village of Sawrey. Tom and his sisters look so smart in their new clothes. When their mother sends them outside while she waits for her visitors, she couldn't possibly guess what kind of mess they are going to get themselves into!

The Tale of Tom Kitten is nu
Published March 7th 2002 by Warne (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Tom Kitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Tom Kitten

Spencer Orey
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My kid's grandma bought us a 12 book set of the original Beatrix Potter books. I'll be reviewing them at random and out of order.

This one's been on loop at my house for the last few days. It's a general mix of typical Beatrix Potter kinds of child abuse, with an oddly light tone to it.

The mother cat forces the kittens to get dressed up for a party she's throwing, but then she puts the kittens outside to play while she readies the house. They immediately get dirty. Then they lose all their cloth
Stacy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Beatrix Potter stories, and this is no different. Tom Kitten and his siblings, Mittens and Moppet are sent outside to play until their mother's company comes for tea. They get dirty and lose their clothes. The kittens miss out on tea, and are sent to their rooms in punishment. Naughty kittens!
Shirley Revill
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Beatrix Potter books are really wonderful and my children and grandchildren really have enjoyed the stories. Recommended.
Prashant
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Does someone remember the movie Despicable Me made by Disney. One fine movie and it had an adorable scene of the 3 girls being read a book by their despicable and conniving (adopted) father.
The story that was read to them had three little kittens who were forced to go to bed by their mother. Let me reproduce the little poem here.

3 little kittens loved to play,
They had fun in the sun all day,
Then their mother came out and say,
Time for kittens to go to bed.

3 little kittens started to brawl,
‘mumm
Annet
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Traditionally I start the year with a Beatrix Potter, I believe this is my 7th story now... so several more to go. As a child, although loving to read, I was not familiar with the Beatrix Potter books, so I'm catching up.
This is a sweet little story about three naughty little kittens up to mischief, helped by a couple of ducks, in short :-)
I admire Beatrix Potter for her career, her creativity and I love the cute little drawings. 3.5 stars for me.
Christy
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I love the names of Mittens, Tom Kitten, and Moppet. I also like words like "pinafores" that take me back to author Potter's time. As for the puddle-ducks, well aren't they clever, only Mr. Drake puddle-duck is cheeky to put Tom's clothes on himself rather than on Tom. Oh what fun to revisit these books that I loved as a girl :)
Manny
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
"His hat fell off, and the rest of his buttons burst." Isn't that a great line?
DD
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
One of the books I will be teaching this year.
Gerry
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This edition of Tom Kitten is different in that the illustrations are not by Beatrix Potter but have been created for the 1990s TV series 'The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends'. This does not detract from the tale or its visual appeal, for the illustrations have their own charm and suit the book perfectly.

In this story there were three little kittens, Mittens, Moppet and Tom Kitten who used to roll about and play in the dust and dirt. One day their mother, Mrs Tabitha Twitchit, was expecting fr
Sam
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
With his two siblings, the cat Tom Kitten dirties clothes and otherwise frustrates mother Tabitha Twitchit before a dinner party at the family home. This is the second appearance of Miss Moppet (see: The Story of Miss Moppet) and Tabitha Twitchit too (see: Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan). Equally interesting is the mystery of the absent father character, like in Peter Rabbit's family and the Good Rabbit's family. Readers seeking a story about children's manners and their parents should be amu ...more
Leigha
I decided to do some rereads of Beatrix Potter. I loved them as a child, and still enjoy them as an adult.
Calista
A cute story about the kids getting all messy while waiting for their mom to have friends over for a dinner party. Very cute story. Enjoyable.
Mimi
Ah, those silly kittens! Serves them right, the ducks waddling off with their clothes... ;)
Aldon Rau
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is not always easy to find something to read at our house. Reading material is plentiful, but oftentimes immediately after I settle upon a book, some family member discovers that he or she is in dire need of that exact volume. Hence, I have been forced to adopt some stealthy methods of getting my fair share of literary diversion.

For example, today my sister was sitting on the couch, having The Tale of Tom Kitten read to her by our mother. These small volumes are favorites of my sister; as she
Mimi
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-children
Those poor little kittens, expecting to walk on their hind legs in fancy clothes outdoors and stay clean! More than they can handle.

I chuckled when I realized what her explanation was for why ducks put their heads under the water with their tails up in the air.

I love how Potter's different stories connect in unexpected ways, carrying characters from one to another, here and there, popping up like old friends where you don't expect them.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Trying to antropomorphize you cute kittens with clothes seems crazy, but then Tom's mother also beats him... on a side note, I loved my Tom Kitten toy when I was little and was always taking his clothes off, because he just wanted to be a cat!
monica ♪
Very cute story. I own kittens too and one of them named Tom as well. And they're all very naughty!! I always feel so exhausted every time I'm done catsitting them.
So I know how does it feel to be Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit. LOL
Wanda
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another sweet story of mischievous young disobeying mama. The kittens lose their nice attire while playing outside and some ducks come along and don them. Nicely illustrated and written.
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Vaishali
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, art
A delightful journey back into childhood. So innocent and funny!
Ivan
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Classic Potter.
Serge Smagarinsky
Fun seeing the kittens getting up to mischief, but the plot didn't really deliver much apart from that - and the older language (due to infrequent use today) interrupts the flow of the story.
Jennie
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Kimberley doruyter
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
if you know you naughty kittens don't let them out when they have to stay clean
Joey Woolfardis
Usually I am dead against dressing up animals in clothing because the indignity is unbearable and the smugness of their owners is incredibly punch-worthy (and I do not need any more persuading for that, thank you), but since my fondness of cats is barely in existence I would say if you vote for me, your party candidate, I will make it law for all cats and kittens alike to be dressed up like Tom Kitten.

Blue, frilly shorts; a waistcoat that barely fits and a wee straw hat; with their little paws s
Octavia Cade
Compared to its sequel (and my all-time favourite Beatrix Potter book) The Tale of Samuel Whiskers this is perhaps a little bit disappointing, being nowhere near as creepily awesome. Taken on its own, however, it's a perfectly charming little book, even if the kittens unsurprisingly behave exactly as kittens do when dressed, by which I mean they are total disasters. (I still remember my younger sister trying to stuff a cat into a doll's dress. It did not turn out well for her; she should have re ...more
Andy Hickman
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
“The Tale of Tom Kitten”

“Once upon a time there were three little kittens, and their names were. Mittens, Tom Kitten, and Moppet. They had dear little fur coats ...”

“I am affronted.”
[affronted = offend the modesty or values of.]

“repose”
[a state of rest, sleep, or tranquillity.]

Tucker!
Australian/NZ informal = for “food”.

Historical = a piece of lace or linen worn in or around the top of a bodice or as an insert at the front of a low-cut dress.

North American informal = exhaust; wear out.
- - -
Rose English
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-fav-s
Book 89 of my Goodreads Challenge

Of all the British Fashion Designer Collection this is my all time favourite the beautiful hardback cover is bright and reminds me of Mondrian. The designer is 'The Rodnik Band' here I need to delve a little deeper I feel another book purchase coming on LOL

Oh whilst the outside cover is by a British designer the internal images are still true to Beatrix, stunning I never tire of looking at them.
Jennifer B.
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun and hilarious romp this one is! It had me cracking up from the get go with fat little Tom Kitten bursting his buttons and the ridiculousness of her Mr. Puddle Duck, and then the scene where Mama Cat loses her shit. As if the illustration of her beating the tar out of the lil'uns isn't enough, she adds "you are not fit to be seen. I am affronted!"

It makes one wonder what kids and parents of today's politically correct world make of this.
Steve
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • Babar and His Children
  • It's a Busy, Busy World
  • Little Miss Naughty
  • Three Little Kittens
  • My Goodnight Book
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who is best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a wealthy household, Potter was educated by governesses and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets, and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District, developed a love of landsc

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • The Tailor of Gloucester (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
  • The Tale of Two Bad Mice
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Story of A Fierce Bad Rabbit