Start by marking “Peoplemaking” as Want to Read:
Peoplemaking

Peoplemaking

Paperback
Published December 1st 1990 by Souvenir Press (first published 1972)

Start your review of Peoplemaking
Julia
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clinical-work
I pulled this off the shelf at the clinic I now work in - it's a classic for a reason. Satir wrote this for parents, and I cannot think of descriptions that are more clear, concise, and compassionate than Satir's as she explored communication, self-esteem, and the complex dynamics of family systems. I was going to write that my one quibble is that it's now outdated - a fair amount of heteronormative assumptions, etc. - except that once you get to the last chapter, Satir pointed to divorce, ...more
Thomas
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
A colleague provided me a copy of this book as a Christmas gift in 1978. The communication stances are timeless. Although not the best writer, her ideas continue to be relevant in understanding communication on multiple levels rather than just verbal ones. I trained with her in 1986 and I can't begin to explain how this experience transformed me personally and professionally.
Dearbhla
Oct 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
quite dated e.g. explicitly states that homosexual relationships are not as valid as heterosexual relationships. Kinda lost interest after that point.
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a classic in family therapy and communications theory. Written in the 1970's, it has the brave and bold sweep of those times. Intuitive, nurturant, and creative, Satir takes on too much in this book, which in general was the problem of the era in which this was written. But, when she hits she is brilliant. The best part of the book is the description of the role-playing that she feels bog most of us down and cause us to live lives of interpersonal misery. Those roles are The Blamer, ...more
Crystal
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many aspects, it is easy to forget that this book, written about family therapy by a pioneer of family therapy, was published in 1972. A lot of the techniques and schools of thought in this book are things still taught and used today. This was a decent book on understanding family systems and how they operate. The one key to realizing that this book is dated is the clear exclusion of same-sex couples, and a bias towards heterosexuals and their families. A good primer on family therapy!
Jackson
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at family dynamics and how they have helped shape us and how we might perpetuate or change those roles. Be ready to have yourself simultaneously validated and realize the work that could lay ahead of you.
Nyssa Hoerner
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Read the last chapter first. The language in parts of the book is very dated and might be construed as offensive, but the last chapter shows he views better, so start at the end! Wonderful tips and tricks for being in a family. I highly recommend this book.
Darlene
AMAZING FAMILY DYNAMICS
Kanyshai
Feb 04, 2016
Abhi
rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2011
Elazar
rated it did not like it
May 15, 2012
Shirley
Nov 14, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Family Crucible: The Intense Experience of Family Therapy
  • The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth
  • Games People Play
  • I'm OK - You're OK
  • The Road Less Traveled and Beyond: Spiritual Growth in an Age of Anxiety
  • Mental Disorders & Spiritual Healing: Teachings from the Early Christian East
  • Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses
  • On Becoming a Person: A Therapist's View of Psychotherapy
  • Mastering Competencies in Family Therapy: A Practical Approach to Theory and Clinical Case Documentation
  • The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook
  • Socioculturally Attuned Family Therapy: Guidelines for Equitable Theory and Practice
  • A Town Like Alice
  • The Wall
  • Terrors and Experts
  • Principles of Trauma Therapy: A Guide to Symptoms, Evaluation, and Treatment
  • The Art of Being
  • Atticus (feather new)
  • You Get So Alone at Times That it Just Makes Sense
Virginia Satir (1916 – 1988) was an American author and psychotherapist, known especially for her approach to family therapy and her work with Systemic Constellations. She is widely regarded as the "Mother of Family Therapy" Her most well-known books are Conjoint Family Therapy, 1964, Peoplemaking, 1972, and The New Peoplemaking, 1988.

She is also known for creating the Virginia Satir Change