Start by marking “Carrie's War” as Want to Read:
Carrie's War

Carrie's War

Albert, Carrie and young Nick are war-time evacuees whose lives get so tangled up with the people they've come to live among that the war and their real families seem to belong to another world. Carrie and Nick are billeted in Wales with old Mr Evans, who is so mean and cold, and his timid mouse of a sister, Lou, who suddenly starts having secrets.

Their friend Albert is l
Published October 28th 1993 by Puffin Classics (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Carrie's War, please sign up.
Marcella I (and most of my friends) read this when we were 9 or 10 after the tv series came out. Loved it at the time and re read as an adult (for nostalgia's …moreI (and most of my friends) read this when we were 9 or 10 after the tv series came out. Loved it at the time and re read as an adult (for nostalgia's sake). Loved it still.(less)

Start your review of Carrie's War
Joey Woolfardis
As soon as I finished Carrie's War I instantly felt a little silly for enjoying it. I'm not entirely sure why, but it is a pure and simple tale that would take a lot of overthinking and analysis to not enjoy.

We follow Carrie and Nick, two children of London who are evacuated with little labels like parcels to a small mining village in Wales, away from the bombings and the terrors of the war. Immediately they are thrown from the comfort of a family life to a strangers house, where the war might b
Duane
Like the four Pevensie children in The Chronicles of Narnia, Carrie and Nick Willow were evacuated from London to the countryside during the German bombing blitz at the beginning of WWII. The Willow's end up in a small town in Wales staying with Mr. Evans, a strict shopkeeper/preacher, and his sister "Auntie Lou". But the story is mostly set in a neighboring farm, Druid's Bottom. There Carrie and Nick will meet Albert Sandwich, Hepzibah Green, and Mr. Johnny, and their lives will be forever chan ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
This book was a trip down memory lane for me - it was one of my favourites growing up.

If Carrie's War does nothing else, it teaches you a few lessons and it makes you happy and thankful for your lot. And if you have siblings, it makes you appreciate them more.

Carrie and Nick are children, and the story is told from Carrie's perspective. It was never going to be amazing and insightful in an adult way, but reading it as an adult has helped me better understand it.

A great read and a modern classic.
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
3.5 Stars.
Nicky
Reading this book was rather distracting, since some other English Lit student had helpfully annotated it before me. Comments like "she takes refuge in household tasks" and "here gender roles are reasserted" are rather irritating when you're trying to read a book as a child. Carrie's War is set during the World War, and contains little details that place it well in that time -- the gas masks, the trains, the rationing -- in a way that's pretty matter-of-fact. Not "ooh look at me I'm historical f ...more
Stephanie Fitzgerald
This book had a different twist to it that I liked. It begins 30 years after WW2, with an evacuee bringing her children back to the Welsh town she was sent to at age 12. She then relates to them in flashback what life was like for her and her brother as war refugees. It’s more of a story of children just being children, and learning to adjust to different circumstances, than it is just a war story.
Nicki
What a lovely story!
G. Lawrence
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, an interesting tale of life in wartime England, interwoven lives, the drama of families
Kerry
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is set within the Second World War and centres on Carrie and her brother Nick being evacuated to Wales from London.

We are told of Mr. Evans and his sister who own a shop and Carrie and Nick are sent to live with them, Mr. Evans is very strict and even his sister - Auntie Lou as she is referred to is fearful of him!

The book tells us of the adventures Carrie, Nick and another evacuee- Albert sandwich get up to in Druid's bottom, the curse of the skull which is locked in the library and w
Michael Mills
I read this in bits and chunks when I was at school (when you go to school in Wales, it's a book that's very difficult to escape) but didn't really have much of a coherent memory of it in my head. It's been a loose end in my reading history, one I've meant to go back and tie for a while.

Now I have and... well, I wish I'd paid a bit more attention at the time. I was surprised how clear my memories were of big chunks of the book, particularly the early parts, but often I was remembering the effect
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC School Radio:

Episode 1:
Carrie returns, as a grown up, to the Welsh town where she and her brother Nick were evacuated in World War 2. She takes her children along the old railway line, but everything is overgrown and looks different. Carrie tells the story of her time there, starting with the train journey from London to Wales…

Episode 2:
Carrie and Nick go to live at the grocers shop with Mr Evans and his sister, who they call Auntie Lou. Auntie Lou is kind, but tells them lots of house
Brett
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was very young, probably about eight years old. Then in Year Five in primary school the teacher read it to us. I was obsessed with this book, renting the audiobook from the library (even though I could read the book no problem) and watching the film nearly every weekend.

In secondary school we had to read it again and the teacher was so impressed about how much I knew about the novel. We used to have English on a Friday afternoon and my teacher would read the book aloud t
Yve-Anne
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this old children's book which, reading as an adult, has not lost its charm. Short and sweet. Give it a go! ...more
Wayne
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages
Recommended to Wayne by: a TV dramatisation in the 1970's
The magic names of characters and places in this book
- Mrs Gotobed, Albert Sandwich, Hepzibah Green, Mister Johnny, Druid's Bottom, Druid's Grove,
remain magic, even when you realise this is no Harry Potter.

Then there is mean Mr Evans, a bully and referred to as an Ogre, and his bullied younger sister, the mousey Auntie Lou, to whose Welsh home Carrie Willow and her younger brother Nick are evacuated to escape the German bombardment of London.

No magic here - dislocation,an unhappy household.
Nick
Bettie
Laura Anne
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was a kid and read it again a couple of years ago, because I found a copy in a second-hand shop. I really liked it. The setting in the Welsh valley, I believe, the description of how the kids find the house on the side of the valley, away from the village is so real.
Lucy
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whilst I would like to award this story more than 2 stars, I feel I cannot, sadly. Whilst I like this story, I felt that something was distinctly lacking and at first, I wasn't sure what that was.

Written many moons before I was even born and based in the war you can definitely distinguish the difference between today's children and war children, though I do believe a modern type of child shone through in this story.

The main characters, Carrie and Nick Willow, like many children their age were
Chris
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Guilt is a terrible thing. And when it's brought about by such a tenuous belief as sympathetic magic, the sense of culpability can overwhelm---even when there may be no actual cause-and-effect involved between an act and what happens subsequently. Such is the case with Carrie when, as an adult, she revisits the South Wales mining community where she was evacuated during the Second World War and where she has to confront fears engendered thirty years before.

As with many child evacuees Carrie and
Rhian Niblett
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
CharlotteN
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting thought provoking book. I remember reading it a few years ago and not understanding it but now it is clear. The character that stood out the most to me was Albert their was something about his character I found interesting:a very deep character who I would like to know more about.
Rose
I've seen some spoilery blurbs in my life but this has to be hands down one of the most spoilery covers.

Nevertheless, this book was devastatingly good. And that ending. So sad yet so beautiful in execution.
Jane Scholey
My old English teacher, Mrs W, almost murdered this book for me at school. However, years later, I reclaimed it when I read it to my own Y6 class. Loved it.
Julia
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Carrie’s War by Nina Bawden is a children’s historical classic and just perfect for ages eight and above.
As a child I read Carrie’s War and watched the BBC series of it. I loved it then and I love it now. I had a desire to become reacquainted with the characters so purchased a copy.
The story is set in the Welsh hills as eleven year old Carrie and her younger brother are evacuated from London. The novel is written in the third person from the point of view of Carrie. The reader hears about her fe
Moore
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I found this recently in a second hand shop, and was transported by the cover, a still shot from the 1970’s BBC tv drama version. I just polished it off in front of the fire, in a couple of very happy evenings.

This is a slim little thing, simple but clever and rather moving. It dances across the heads of some complex issues- about place, childhood, and a sense of responsibility to others and how to live up to those feelings. With only 8 or so characters, it’s probably rather a plain tale for mo
Michelle
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a childhood favourite and I'm really glad to report that it stood up to a reread as an adult. I don't know how many times I read this growing up, but it obviously had a big impact on me; as I could remember whole paragraphs as I read it this time.

This is such a moving and quiet story about Carrie and her brother, Nick, who are evacuated from London to Wales during the war. Although the impact of the war is prominent, this is more of a character-driven story and has such well-written and
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book 10 stars, I would!

I read this book aloud to my kids. It's a WWII story set in Wales. It follows the adventures of two siblings, Carrie and her brother Nick, who are sent from London during the bombings to live in Wales with an older shopkeeper and his sister. It's a beautiful mixture of history, legends, as well as it just being a simple story of childhood. I absolutely loved every second and would heartily recommend it.

My children were a mixed bag of responses. No one
Novelle Novels
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 stars
This a beautiful tale of a pair of children Carrie and Nick who are evacuated to a Welsh village during world war 2. We start off with Carrie as an adult bringing her children to visit the village and she tells them about it a little bit but she has a bad memory which means that’s she is scared to go to one particular area. The story then goes back to when she is first evacuated and we hear about what happens from the start. I loved hepzibah and the tales from when they go there.
Jonathan
Although with slightly less of the adventurous spirit of such classics as E Nesbit's 'The Railway Children', Nina Bawden's more recent staple of children's literature is just as involving, and a bit more relatable. Reference is made to Britain's slave-trade past, even if these days there would be more condemnation, along with bullying, and disability, in what is on the surface a tale of Carrie and her brother Nick, two evacuee children, spending a year in a small rural Welsh community, getting t ...more
Alwynne
Nina Bawden's classic story of two siblings evacuated to a remote Welsh village during WW2. There they are billeted with a dour brother and sister, and find themselves embroiled in the family's mysterious past and long-held feuds. It's an excellent story, that's been adapted for television more than once, but Bawden's prose style is disappointing and often clumsy. It's not often I prefer the adaptation to the source material but that was definitely the case here. ...more
Ciaran Mills
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice book set during the second world war, following two sibling evacuees in their time in the countryside. Not exactly rip roaring, but enough to keep me interested during the book.

I debated between three and four stars in the end, deciding to round it up because of the book's appeal to younger readers.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Carrie's War 1 4 Sep 22, 2014 02:50AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Review Number Two 1 3 Aug 08, 2014 02:51PM

• Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Stig of the Dump
  • Tom's Midnight Garden
  • When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit (Out of the Hitler Time, #1)
  • War Horse
  • What Katy Did
  • Back Home
  • Letters from the Lighthouse
  • The Railway Children
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • War Game
  • Attack of the Demon Dinner Ladies (Baby Aliens, #4)
  • The Mozart Question
Nina Bawden was a popular British novelist and children's writer. Her mother was a teacher and her father a marine.

When World War II broke out she spent the school holidays at a farm in Shropshire along with her mother and her brothers, but lived in Aberdare, Wales, during term time.
Bawden attended Somerville College, Oxford, where she gained a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

Her nove