Start by marking “The Doorbell Rang” as Want to Read:
The Doorbell Rang

The Doorbell Rang

Each ring of the doorbell brings more friends to share the delicious cookies Ma has made in this beloved classic.

This enjoyable read-aloud picture book about friendship, sharing, and cookies can also be used to introduce basic math concepts to young children. "Refreshing, enjoyable, and unpredictable."—School Library Journal

Pat Hutchins is the celebrated creator of numerou
Published October 26th 1989 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Doorbell Rang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doorbell Rang

Cheryl
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Well now that's pretty darn cute. Simple, but fun. Apparently popular among my library's homeschooling families, which makes sense.
Paloma Calvillo
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book The Doorbell rang is about a mother who bakes delicious cookies enough for her children, but what will she do when her doorbell rings and rings with each one more children coming in to snatch a bite of her homemade cookies? This is a great and easy read for children. It has just enough excitement, fun, and suspense to keep the reader going. The loud colors of the illustrations also keeps the readers eyes focused on the characters.

The text structure was in a sequence because it went ste
Dolly
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Now this is how you incorporate math into a story. The rhythmic, repetitive narrative and simple, but entertaining plot have a math lesson woven into them without being overly didactic. The way in which the cookies are divided based on the number of children is easy to understand.

The illustrations are not my favorite, but they are cartoonish and colorful and help tell the story. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Becca Ramsey
This book is a cute book for sure. The story is about a little boy and girl whose grandmother made them cookies. They were so happy because they were each going to get 6 each. However, their friends kept ringing the doorbell and coming in. Before long, there were 12 friends over. which meant everyone only got 1 cookie. The little girl was upset because she wanted more cookies. The door bell rang one last time and the Ma told them that they better eat their cookie before she opened the door becau ...more
Katie
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yes, I am in a weird mood, so this is a weird "review." Don't say I didn't warn you.

The recipe for a good reading of this book.

Est. Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
Brain Sprinkles
The book
Plastic cookies
Children
Imagination

This recipe works best when all children are in one specific area (for instance, on a rug) together. Begin by tossing the brain sprinkles to the children. They will get excited, and possibly begin hopping about whilst squealing and throwing their hands in the air. That is perfectly
Sheeba Virani
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
What an interesting way of introducing children to the concept of fractions and division. Children identify with real life experiences such as the one this book talks about. These can be used to teach children about diving in order to share.

Extension
After reading the book divide children into 3 groups of even numbers. Give each group a large cookie or pizza. Then ask each group to cut the number of members in each gropu and discuss how many pieces each item needs to be cut into so each member ge
Monique Williams
This is a book that could be used for math and when used with a felt board is very useful for teaching one-to-one correspondence. The book also teaches social emotional skills about sharing. Not only is this book good for counting it can also be used to teach higher level math such as subtraction or division.
Karen
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Good book about sharing and math!..krb 2/10/16
Amandasaved
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
So this book was on Reading Rainbow I think. When I began to read it to my daughter I got a flash back of hearing this story. It's actually really cute, and I wonder if there is a sequel to it, because I have some questions:

How do all 12 kids know Sam and Victoria's Grandma? Like is she world famous for her cookies or what?

Also, All these kids need to learn to wipe their feet. This poor mother made cookies and is washing the tile floor but every time the doorbell rings the kids trek in mud all
Ryan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Doorbell Rang is another great book by Pat Hutchins. A mom makes more than enough cookies for her two kids and tells them they can share the cookies with each other. They count out how many they each get. Then the Doorbell rings and they redistribute the cookies evenly between four kids instead. Every time they are about to eat their cookies, the Doorbell rings again and more friends show up to share the cookies, until there is only enough for each child to have one cookie each.

This is a go
Paiton Larson
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Ma makes cookies for Victoria and Sam. They split them evenly between themselves, but then their friends come over. They decide that each person can have three cookies, but then two more friends came. They decide each person now got two cookies, but then six more friends came. The children decided that each child now got one cookie. The doorbell rang again and luckily it was grandma with a whole new tray of cookies.

This story has a good idea for teaching fractions, unfortunately the fractions a
Jessie
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
The math in the story is very present but not super explicit. I'm pretty sure it's never directly stated that the mother initially makes a dozen cookies. We just know that there are two kids at first and they think they'll each get six (and the rest of the arithmetic in the book stays consistent with that). In the illustration on the title page, we can see a 3x4 array of cookies on the tray, but they're harder to count once they're on the plate. (It is possible to look and count the 12, though.) ...more
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute picture book! Ma makes cookies and sets the plate in front of her two children to share. They get six each. The doorbell rings again and again, each time bringing more friends to share the cookies. The kids keep sharing until they each only have one cookie on their plates. And the doorbell rings again! What will they do?

I love the sharing and caring for others going on in this picture book. The math lesson of dividing the cookies among the friends is easy for kids to understa
Lyla Muhlenkamp
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Doorbell Rang is such a fun and simple book to read to students. It's about a mother who bakes her two kids a plate of cookies, but then more and more kids start to come and they have to keep dividing the cookies by everyone that is there. They were to the point where each kid received one cookie, until the doorbell rang again. It was their grandma, who had another whole plate of cookies. This is a simple book that you could really get the kids to interact with you in. I really liked this bo ...more
Brandice Harrison
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ecce-2115-l-l
This book is about a mom and her two children. The mother makes cookies and told the two children to share. The doorbell keeps ringing and more and more children come over to share the cookies. The all say the same things each time. " These look as good as your grandmas" and the mother will say "No one makes cookies like your grandma." At the very end, each kid has one cookie and the doorbell rings again. They open the door and in walks grandma with a tray full of cookies. This story talks about ...more
Rhonda Davis, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
This delightful book was read by both my children in homeschool. They love it and still reread it. It has full-size illustrations which add details to the simple, repetitive language. It was a great way to introduce fractions. It also is a nice spinoff book for the topic of sharing with others. I enjoyed looking at the details in the background of the scenes as well--so I did not become bored as it was read again and again with them! Pat Hutchins did a great job keeping a simple story moving for ...more
Sterlande Altidor
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-k
This book is perfect for reading out loud in a classroom. It is a great book to teach children about mathematics such as division. It is great that the ending event reinforces this spirit of generosity. In addition to the idea of sharing, children can also think about and learn a little basic arithmetic. The illustrations of this book are colorful, and talk about to diversity among people. I think that everyone needs to read this book, because it teaches children about sharing friendships.
Kaitlyn
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, food
I gave this book four stars because it is a great math book, 6 x 2 = 12, 4 x 3 = 12, and so on. You can also talk about sharing with friends. Looking at the Illustrations you can tell this is an older book so, there are somethings about the pictures that bug me. Because of this, I almost only it three stars. It's pretty good book. If you have it, use it for a math lesson plan. If you don't have it, don't go out of your way to get it. That's my opinion at least.
Juliana Lee
When Ma bakes up a batch of cookies the kids eagerly sit to divide the plate amongst themselves when the doorbell rings. More friends arrive and there are fewer cookies for each child. Just as they are about to dig in the doorbell rings again. Now there are even fewer cookies for each child. Sharing is okay, but when does it end? Should we hurry and eat the cookies before we answer the doorbell again? No need. Ma has baked more cookies.
Natalie Greaves
I really enjoyed reading this story. It has very colorful illustrations and just enough text on the pages. This book could be used for a math activity in a class. It can also be used to teach children about sharing. It is good for really young children such as 3-4 year olds and can also be used for children who are a little older such as 5-6 year olds.
Janice Ha
The book is interesting and teaches another important lesson that is sharing. This book shows that it starts from two kids to more kids coming for a snack and that the doorbell ringing scares the children of whether the snacks are enough for everybody. This book is best for children ages 7 and up, because this is bit difficult to read and children younger is best for read out louds.
Ten_zillions
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 123s
Enjoyable and fun are words that can describe this story. With every doorbell ring brings a new friend adding more to the party! This story encourages basic math concepts, the importance of sharing, friendship, and cooking. This book can supplement any cooking or math activity or just to have a good laugh.

Anthony
Ma has baked a dozen cookies for Victoria and Sam to share. As they all agree that no one makes cookies like grandma, the doorbell rings, and two friends enter to share the cookies. The doorbell continues to ring until there are only enough cookies for all the visitors to only have one cookie each. The doorbell rings again...
Amy
Marissa Estrada
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REPETITION! NO ONES COOKIES ARE AS GOOD AS GRANDMOTHERS! I have never read this book before this assignment and oh boy did it bring me memories. Th repetition in it as well, the children knew what was coming next and the suspense of who else could be at the doorbell? I read it to my children and when grandmother arrived, they were so happy! Who doesn't love grandma!
Brianna
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
I chose this book because this can be a math/counting book and also a book about friendship! This is a really good book to read aloud to kindergartners and get them talking about friendship and the importance of being a good friend. I like this book because it's a good way to get a real conversation going and these life skills will be good forever.
Lynn  Davidson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mama made cookies - as good as Grandma's. Soon her children are sharing cookies with more and more friends each time the doorbell rings.
This story demonstrates sharing and being polite, and also shows how subtraction and division work.

Fun story with a surprise ending. Lovely illustrations.
Holli Shipley
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book. Does a good job with math and deciding how many cookies a person gets. Uses a lot of familiar things that children can relate to; like grandma and her cookies, friends coming over and sharing, and doorbells.
Maddy
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ga-pre-k, counting
This is a good book to teach children about counting. It also teaches children about sharing because every time someone rang the doorbell they had to share the cookies. It has good illustrations for the children to look at.
Tameka Johnson
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jitters
This is a book I grew up reading. Even though it teaches math and I always hated math I always remembered this book and how much I enjoyed it. I bought this for my children library and love reading it to them.
  • The Greedy Triangle
  • Counting on Frank
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Grandfather Tang's Story
  • Inch by Inch
Pat Hutchins is an English illustrator and writer of children's books.

She won the 1974 Kate Greenaway Medal from the Library Association, recognising the year's best children's book illustration by a British subject. The work was The Wind Blew, a picture book in rhyme which she also wrote. It shows how "a crowd of people anxiously chase their belongings" in the wind.