Start by marking “Batman/Captain America” as Want to Read:
Batman/Captain America

Batman/Captain America

(Batman)

/John Byrne As World War II rages on, Batman and Captain America, along with their teenaged sidekicks Robin and Bucky, must become allies to combat the villainy of their greatest foes, the Joker and the Red Skull. This fun, fast paced tale is co-published with Marvel Comics and is drawn in a style reminiscent of the 1940s Golden Age of
Published January 1st 1997 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman/Captain America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman/Captain America

Start your review of Batman/Captain America
Gianfranco Mancini

This Elseworld cross-over is John Byrne's awesome and heartfelt tribute to 40s Golden Age of Comic Books.

A fabulous modern and hilarious retelling of 1940s wartime comics style, totally nailing the characters and the vibe, enriched by Byrne's gorgeous artworks at their best.

This never too much grown kid here loved reading old Bat-Man's campy comics, with their cast of Bat-Women, Girls, Dogs, and weird villains, and this volume just made me go back there with mind and heart.

And that ending,
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exceptionally well done crossover between Marvel and DC. John Byrne does a fantastic job writing and drawing. This is what cross over teamup should be. Byrne captures the feel of both of the characters perfectly and their interaction is spot on. My highest recommendation.
Mike
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
This was a fun, modern recreation of a 1940s style wartime adventure of The Bat and the Cap. It has a few flaws - obvious plot progression, only a few pages, hero-battles-hero scene, miracle escapes -- but an enjoyable little adventure, warts and all.
The art, especially, adds to the fun. Action, characters, and scenery look straight out of a 1940 comic, but with clear, crisp lines and bright colors.

My Library September Reading Challenge.
Robin
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-13
Well, this was fabulous.

I don't read a lot of comic books, which should be obvious from my collection, because I have about three.

I see that I have been remiss.

So, I follow someone on tumblr that talks about comic books past and present, and does a pretty good job of trying to get everyone else up to speed. I think she works in a comic book shop in Asheville, so definitely check that out. I digress. She mentioned this Batman & Captain America in reference to something else in the DC/Marvel
Joanna
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
We all make mistakes,Captain.
That's why they put erasers on the end of the pencils.
Jorge Lopez
Jan 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Durante todo el cómic tuve la impresión de que el autor se lo ha pasado mejor escribiendo y dibujando esta historia que yo leyéndola.
Paul Griggs
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
John Byrne imagines a golden age tale where the Dark Knight detective and America's greatest soldier work together to thwart the evil wartime schemes of the Joker and the Red Skull. It was a different age when Bruce Wayne smiled and the adventures suffused with a sense of fun and adventure. Some great moments, especially when they trade boy sidekicks temporarily.
Jamie Sigal
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed John Byrne's Golden Age cross-over here, although I'm biased because I've been a longtime fan of Byrne and his 'Generations' take on the DC Universe from a few years ago, with which this story blends seamlessly. This is Byrne having fun with characters that he clearly loves writing, and it shows. Extra smiles for the Sgt. Rock cameo at the beginning.
Callie Rose Tyler
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, batman, dc, marvel
This is a fun comic with the feel of a throwback. Taking place in the 1940's during WWII we get a Red Skull/Joker team up to take on the Bat and Bird with Cap and Bucky. There are some amazingly wonderful lines and just enough camp to give it that vintage Golden Age feel. The only part that left me scratching my head was the epilogue, it is tacked on as an afterthought and completely disregards continuity within both the Marvel and DC universes, completely and totally unnecessary.

I would by no
Paul
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Old-fashioned retro fun from John Byrne. This isn't high art, as Byrne mostly gives the fans what they'd want in such a crossover. Set during World War II, this features the all-business Nazi-smashing Captain America teaming up with a surprisingly smiley Batman to take on--who else?--the team of The Joker and the Red Skull (with the obligatory fight stemming from a misunderstanding inserted for good measure). It would be wholly by-the-numbers if not for the real sense of affection that Byrne ...more
Boots
Aug 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
dreadful from start to finish: story, art, and all. its only saving grace was just how short it was ~ otherwise i think it's an unreadable disservice to batman and captain america both with the joker and the red skull playing camp as the worst villain team up since the bizarros got together back in the 50s (and frankly that was at least hilariously fun).

if you absolutely must read this, please be sure to especially enjoy the absurd image of captain america awkwardly flying at a perfect
Travis
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
A great Alternate earth story that reads like a really good Golden Age comic as Captain America and Batman team up to stop the Joker and Red Skull.

No modernizing, no attempts to make things realistic, none of that foolishness.
This is pure 'Wouldn't it be cool if...?' that you can feel the love in as Byrne pulls out all the stops. Great writing, beautiful art and just a lot of fun.

Michael
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
An unfair rating from me, this was probably never going to be a bell ringer, also Superman v hulk, and Batman v hulk were worse. This is a “spot fest.” A head turner, no need to read in depth, but this is two icons from two different universes, it should make history, even if that history is a bit “meh.”
Alexander
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun read from John Byrne in the style of 1940s comic art. Really enjoyed both the artwork and the writing here. If you read and enjoyed "Batman/Superman: Generations", then you should also very much enjoy this story. Highly recommend both.
Kevin Findley
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the best DC/Marvel crossovers and maybe even the best. John Byrne's love for Cap and Batman came through on every page. His take on "the heroes fight and then team-up" trope was hilarious and made sense especially for these two four-color icons.
Devero
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Una storia ipotetica molto ben fatta, divertente al punto giusto, con le giuste suggestioni per un amante della continuity Marvel e DC.
Con un epilogo che è davvero una gran bella trovata.
Lucas Brown
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
An absolute blast and a silly throwback. My only complaint is that the 90s house style of art takes away from the 40s-style dialogue.
Juan Jose
This is great art, great coloring, and the beginnings of the Generations Universe.
Chris
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Worth reading.
PJ Ebbrell
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novesl
OK, it is a team up and an enjoyable romp from Byrne.
Angela
Nov 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel, graphic-novels, dc
A bit of fun. Set in the 1940s, Batman and Captain America take on the Red Skull and Joker. It works really well, because that Batman is very similiar to Captain America.
Jayce

• Superman/Batman vs. Aliens/Predator
  • Aliens: Labyrinth
  • Superman vs. Muhammad Ali
  • The Teen Titans and the X-Men
  • Aliens: Music of the Spears (Aliens)
  • Leviathan
  • Aliens: Rogue (Aliens)
  • Cryptozoic!
  • Operation Storm: Japan's Top Secret Submarines and Its Plan to Change the Course of World War II
  • Ancient Iraq
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Batman & Dracula: Red Rain
John Lindley Byrne is a British-born Canadian-American author and artist of comic books. Since the mid-1970s, Byrne has worked on nearly every major American superhero.

Byrne's better-known work has been on Marvel Comics' X-Men and Fantastic Four and the 1986 relaunch of DC Comics’ Superman franchise. Coming into the comics profession exclusively as a penciler, Byrne began co-plotting the X-Men

Batman (1 - 10 of 373 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1