Start by marking “Dead Over Heels” as Want to Read:
Dead Over Heels

Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden #5)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  13,249 Ratings  ·  458 Reviews
What's the world coming to - when you can't relax with an ice-cold beverage in your own backyard without a body falling from the sky and landing in your garden? Part-time librarian and frequent amateur investigator Roe Teagarden has good reason to ask herself this question when the remains of one of the Lawrenceton, Georgia police department's finest catapults into her flo ...more
ebook, epub, 272 pages
Published August 5th 2008 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Over Heels, please sign up.
George Well, Teagarden mentions previous events, but not in such detail as to totally spoil preceding books. Especially if you don't have a photographic…moreWell, Teagarden mentions previous events, but not in such detail as to totally spoil preceding books. Especially if you don't have a photographic memory.

Nevertheless, if you like this one I urge reading the rest in order. These are NOT like those TV series where everything resets between episodes so that nothing that happens matters later.

[Yes, I know this is a very late answer for the original questioner, but I'd be very surprised if nobody else wants a response!](less)

Annette Ahrens
Mar 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
These books just keep getting worse - and I keep reading. At this point I think it's morbid fascination to see just how bad they'll get. (And as I'm several chapters into book #6 - pretty bad).

Aurora Teagarden has got to be the most annoying protagonist I have ever come across. I haven't found a redeeming quality in her yet and since she has to recite a mantra to herself that she "likes black kids as much as she likes white kids and black patrons as much as she likes white patrons," I'm starting
Gizzard
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2011
A lower than average mystery. And sheesh, could Harris work out her racism problems with a therapist and not in her books. Ya know what all black people have in common Charlaine? Nothing! Not even a common skin color.
Dagny
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harris-charlaine
I love this one. Roe lost the aggravating attitude she had in the prior book and Angel is still around. Charlaine Harris has a definite knack for creating in her readers the urge to read the next book and discover how the characters are faring.
Terri
Aug 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
How can you not enjoy a book that begins: "My bodyguard was mowing the yard wearing her pink bikini when the man fell from the sky." ??

C'mon!
Another sweet and twisted glimpse into Aurora Teagarden's strangely complicated simple life.
Daiva
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
To describe this in one sentence (or even one word), I would say: "pop-corn" book – a quick read, that neither gives nor takes much; meaning you shouldn’t search for some deep/hidden purpose in it, but it doesn’t waste a lot of time or patience either – in that way, you can end up enjoying this type of story for the time being.

Random thought, #1 – Got to love, how it is enough to write one bestseller and then all of your books (series) have that “The No.1 Bestselling Author” mark all over it.

Ra
Karen B.
A body lands in Aurora's yard and it turns out to be the police chief who had been harassing her regarding her involvement in previous mysteries. Another person is attacked and later dies and eventually Aurora figures out that the two are related. How? I can't say without giving spoilers but Aurora once again gets immersed in mysteries and Martin's life is in jeopardy.
Jan 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Very disappointing! Harris can do *much* better than this book. The plot is just incredibly unbelievable. Once again the Youngbloods are wasted characters and Martin is just two-dimensional. But that's not really even the worst of it! It's almost as if Harris sat down one weekend and decided to write this book without any thought or planning.
Punk
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, mystery
Mystery. Two years have passed since the last book. Aurora is settled into her new house with her new husband and her new bodyguards and is presented with a new mystery when Detective Sergeant Jack Burns—always suspicious of Roe and her proximity to dead bodies—falls out of an airplane and lands dead in her backyard.

I was really disappointed in this. Aurora spends the entire book making poor decisions and being really oblivious about the mystery. While I like that these books change up the type
Brianna
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
I got this book from the library, without reading the first four in the series. Luckily for me, the characters were well introduced so that it wasn't necessary for me to have read the first books in order to understand this one. This was a very short novel, and it was easy to read, making this a fast read. I thought that the characters were interesting, and while I wouldn't say this was a good enough book (at least in my opinion) to spend money on, I think that it was a good way to spend an afte ...more
Marissa
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
Before I go into my review, just want to remark that I've always thought this title was wasted on this book. It would've been much better as a title for one of the SVM/Sookie books.
Moving on, this was definitely when the series jumped the shark. All this build up to who was doing all these horrible things, and then literally no explanation of why. I would've much preferred to find out WHY he was obsessed with Roe, what brought it about, how the other crimes were actually committed, etc. It only
Jessica
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot stop reading these books. Not because they are amazing, but in a "can't look away from a car accident or train wreck" kind of way. I am going to say it and not feel bad about it: Aurora Teagarden is STUPID. She's supposed to be well-educated and well-read, yet she has all the common sense and sophistication of a jelly bean. UGH. Not to mention I HATE HER HUSBAND! What. The. Heck. Again the stupidity and suspension of intellectual thought that a woman would have to possess to buy into Ma ...more
Regina
The weakest in the series. Hoping for better with #6.

Jim
Better than the previous books. There's not as much of a rush to wrap it all up at the end. Still a candy book - fun & quick to read. Engaging writing & characters. A good who-dunnit.
Lindsay
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan
The Aurora Teagarden series has become one of my go-to series when I need a fast, good read and this book was no disappointment. In Dead Over Heels Aurora and Angel are in their backyard when a body suddenly falls from a plane and drops into their backyard. Soon after when a woman Aurora has an argument with gets severely beaten, and other questionable events happen Aurora finds herself scared and wondering if this maniac is after her or her friend, Angel.

Many sleuths in the cozy subgenre break
Delonda
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Even though someone on Goodreads spoiled the denouement a bit by revealing the murderer early in their review and did not hide it as such, I found myself reading this book without wanting to put it down. It is not the best book in the series but neither is it the worst. As another reviewer noted, Harris wasted the Youngbloods, especially after such a promising introduction in the previous installment.

I like this series despite the unevenness of some of the plotting - the first and third books a
Andrea
2014 Review:
After a great series installment, we are back to a slightly plodding tale. The central mystery in this one is a bit ridiculous and felt forced and there wasn’t as much development of the regular characters as in the last book. In this book’s favor, the title is quite clever and it opened with bang, body tumbling out of the sky to faceplant in Roe’s front yard. I’m not giving up on my reread of this series, but I am remembering that there were some duds in the series and Roe isn’t as
Roxane Lapa
The fifth book of the 'Aurora Teagarden' murder mystery series starts off with the body of a policeman landing in Aurora's garden. Another murder and some attacks tie this little mystery together as Aurora tries to figure out the perpetrator and his motive.

It was a quick and easy read. Enjoyable, and sometimes unintentionally funny. For example, a direct quote from the book...

"Perry had dark hair, which he wore in a fashionable brush cut on top and rather long on the sides and back."

...accusing
Andrea Guy
I started reading this series when I stumbled across one of the movies on Hallmarks Movies and Mysteries.

I enjoyed the movie, mostly because I hadn't read any of this series before. Dead Over Heels is one of the movies I've seen, and I have to say, if you have read the book you will be shaking your head quite a bit with the changes they've made to Aurora. I mean, Candace Cameron as Aurora? DJ Tanner as Aurora?

All of the quirkiness that Aurora has in the books is gone in the movies. I would have
Reenie
I was introduced to the wonderful world of Aurora Teagarden through the hallmark movies, and my oh my, do I enjoy them. They're normally shown on an afternoon, when I'm just ready to snooze after a middle-of-the-night shift at work. They're lovely cosy mysteries.
In this one a body is dropped from a plane into lovely Roe's garden. What follows is a trip through the sleuthing world of Miss Roe, this is an easy read but will still keep you gripped nevertheless.
Rachel
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books!!
Cara
May 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, mystery, ebook
This was so bad. I don't know why I finished it.
Christine
The ending was a little bizarre on this one.
Kelly-Marie
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
yet another fantastic novel. love this series so much.
Robin
Not quite as good as the ones before I'd say 3 1/2. I liked it but not quite as much.
Elyse
Some things about it bothered me!! And it's all fading from my mind (it's been a few weeks since I finished it...) Didn't like who died. Didn't like WHY they died. Didn't like WHO killed them. All felt a little weird to me, since there was nothing in any of the previous books to even hint at this kind of situation. Also, wow 2 years passed without incident?! Just didn't flow/match up well.
Jeanette
Abby
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waring: Spoiler/Rant

Wasn't Paul Allison the same nice guy from Three bedrooms, One Corpse? The guy who wooed Sally Allison?
When did he suddenly become obsessed with Roe? When did he go crazy?
These are just a few of the many questions left unanswered from this book.

It would have been nice if they'd gone into Shelby/Angels relationship a little more. I'm confident the baby was Shelby's, but it'd have been nice if they'd given us the results of his checkup, etc.
It just skips so much!

I also di
reea
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Főhősnőnk szokatlan együgyűségről tesz tanúbizonyságot. Egy sereg dolgot úgy fogott fel, mint a véletlen összjátéka, és mire többen sejteni kezdik, valami nem stimmel ezzel a képpel, majdnem vége van a regénynek

Ed
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#5 in the Aurora Teagarden series. Death and mayhem follow Roe around and she tries to figure out who and why. Southern cozy has cultural info, for example, you don't wear black on a condolence call when the deceased wasn't a family member.

Aurora Teagarden series - When death comes from out of the blue, part-time librarian "Roe" lands smack in the middle of a baffling murder case. Roe never liked Detective Sergeant Jack Burns, but she never wanted to see him dead-especially not dropped from a pl
  • The Lies That Bind (A Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Home for a Spell (A Bewitching Mystery, #7)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • The Night Killer (Diane Fallon, #8)
  • Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #2)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Roast Mortem (Coffeehouse Mystery, #9)
  • Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Men Don't Crochet (Crochet Mystery, #2)
  • Skirting The Grave (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #4)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2)
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an
More about Charlaine Harris

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $7.99 $1.99
“Self-pity is like chocolate; as you get older, you can only afford a little bit.” 39 likes
“My bodyguard was mowing the lawn in a pink bikini when the body fell from the sky.” 31 likes