Start by marking “The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace” as Want to Read:
The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace

The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  579 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
You hold in your hand an invitation:

To remember the transforming power of forgiveness and lovingkindness. To remember that no matter where you are and what you face, within your heart peace is possible.

In this beautiful and graceful little book, internationally renowned Buddhist teacher and meditation master Jack Kornfield has collected age-old teachings, modern stories, a
Published August 27th 2002 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace

John Papadopoulos
Wonderful!
Megan
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: most anyone
Recommended to Megan by: it was a gift from Ainslie
My favorite quote from this book is "Forgiveness is realizing that you cannot change the past".

The book consists of passages and quotes from different people. It's great to keep on hand for those moments when you might need, ahem, a little strength (and patience) dealing with a situation or person.
Karla Strand
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. What an inpiration! Even if you are not a Buddhist, you will enjoy Kornfield's messages of forgiveness, lovingkindness, compassion, peace, and love. He includes wisdom from other thinkers and peacemakers. Kornfield walks readers though several meditations which are simple yet powerful. A wonderful read for Buddhists, meditators, or anyone searching for peace and joy.

Forgiveness releases us from the power of fear. page 12

Look within, be still.
Free from fear or attachment,
know th
John Papadopoulos
Wow left me in awe!
Micha Goebig
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book for my morning readings before my actual meditation. It's very inspiring.
Kara Lane
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jack Kornfield has written a small book that packs a powerful and inpirational punch. Forgiveness, lovingkindess, and peace are the three attributes that lead to a happy life.

The 3 attributes are explained through stories and quotes from people like the Buddha, Benjamin Franklin, and Nelson Mandela. Meditations are included for each of the attributes.

One comment on peace from Kornfield's book that really hit home with me was, "Peace requires us to surrender our illusions of control. We can love
Peggy
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
My rating may seem harsh. There isn't anything "bad" about this book and I could see it serving beautifully as a daily meditation book--page a day, etc.
and yet it continually annoyed me. It was a $19 trade-paper-sized hardcover. Its contents are not original, as he acknowledges at the end of the book. Most pages have one short paragraph. Much content is quotations. Most of the rest is guidance for meditations not created by Kornfield.
In short, an assistant probably assembled most of this and h
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book is packed full of inspiration and practical steps. With a book like this you need a journal beside you so you can, in a manner of speaking, co-author the book, write your own story as you are having such a wonderful conversation with an inspired, full of compassion guy like Jack Kornfield. I definitely plan and hope to read every book of his as I already enjoy with great relish all he has to say. You are going to cry reading some of the stories in the book and feel ashamed probably that ...more
Marla
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jack Kornfield's soothing voice makes it all seem possible.
Evelyn
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful reminder of metta meditations.
Andi
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This simple, fast read book of quotes and stories is always a pleasure, especially when the chaos in the mind begins to stir.
Molly
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jack Kornfield is pretty awesome- he sums up huge ideas with short sentences, making you pause and really reflect. I really enjoy his podcast. This particular book is about the themes listed in the title, but it's not so much of a "book-book" as a collection of thoughts upon which to meditate. So it seems short and sweet, but it really requires spending some time in reflection about what he writes. I don't think you need to be a Buddhist to appreciate this (I'm not), but be aware that that is hi ...more
Kelly N. S.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So many pearls of wisdom in this book -- and though I have yet to try them all - the book also includes several meditations around forgiveness, acceptance, lovingkindness and peace. Those meditation exercises I have tried were both meaningful and fruitful. A wonderful book to pick up if I need a word of wisdom in support of mending any rift - even (especially) those times I need to forgive myself.
Pamela Frickmann
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
I have kept this little gem next to my bedside for several months, and open it up at random to absorb bits at at time... such gentle, encouraging wisdom!

I did not imagine that this book would be quite so meaningful to me.
Angie
Feb 27, 2008 added it
This is a great book to read when you just need to relax your mind and stop worrying. My favorite quote:
"If you let go a little, you will have a little happiness.
If you let go a lot, you will have a lot of happiness.
If you let go completely, you will be free."
Leslie
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much wisdom in this collection of quotes and tiny essays and meditations.
Linda
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful inspiring book to be kept and treasured
Indilee
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Received this from a friend a few years ago when going through a very tough time - it's very inspiring and helpful with its little stories within.
Curtis
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
meditations on these virtues
Darrell Brown
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simple, but profound. I'll probably buy a copy so I can refer back to it often.
Meredith
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lovely book with a lot on which to meditate.
David Roberts
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short book, very inspiring, with some nice guided meditations.
Candace
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This will be an inspirational reference for me. I know I can pick it up and read a page or two or ten at random and find peace.
Laurie
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of wisdom. I have put the prayer for lovingkindness up on my wall.

A gem!

Amanda
Dec 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
A little book of spiritual vignettes for anyone requiring a top-up of Kornfield.
Luca
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism
some good guided meditations, but some cheesy new age gooeyness too.
Bryan
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insights and some great quotes throughout, some by Kornfield himself and many from others. He provides a simple approach to enrich your spiritual life.
Savanna
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read and re-read this book many times. Anytime I'm unsettled, I turn to it to feel grounded again.
Tricia
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book is fairly elemental, with a few quotes that are meaningful. However, I am anxious to do the suggested meditations.
Ingrid Williams
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one of my favorite books by Jack Kornfield. Very inspirational and some great guided meditations.
  • Still Forest Pool: The Insight Meditation of Achaan Chah
  • Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Inner Revolution
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • The Sanity We Are Born With: A Buddhist Approach to Psychology
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Radical Self-Acceptance: A Buddhist Guide to Freeing Yourself from Shame
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still, American Style
  • The Faith to Doubt: Glimpses of Buddhist Uncertainty
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • Illuminated Prayers
  • A Gradual Awakening
Jack Kornfield trained as a Buddhist monk in the monasteries of Thailand, India and Burma. He has taught meditation internationally since 1974 and is one of the key teachers to introduce Buddhist mindfulness practice to the West. He began his training after graduating from Dartmouth College in Asian Studies in 1967. Then he joined the Peace Corps and was assigned to the Public Health Service in no ...more
“There are many ways that I have hurt and harmed others, have betrayed or abandoned them, caused them suffering, knowingly or unknowingly, out of my pain, fear, anger, and confusion.

Let yourself remember and visualize the ways you have hurt others. See the pain you have caused out of your own fear and confusion. Feel your own sorrow and regret. Sense that finally you can release this burden and ask for forgiveness. Take as much time as you need to picture each memory that still burdens your heart. And then as each person comes to mind, gently say:
I ask for your forgiveness, I ask for your forgiveness.”
55 likes
“If you put a spoonful of salt
in a cup of water
it tastes very salty.
If you put a spoonful of salt
in a lake of fresh water
the taste is still pure and clear.

Peace comes when our hearts are
open like the sky,