Start by marking “Aguecheek's Beef, Belch's Hiccup, and Other Gastronomic Interjections: Literature, Culture, and Food Among the Early Moderns” as Want to Read:

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  2 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
We didn’t always eat the way we do today, or think and feel about eating as we now do. But we can trace the roots of our own eating culture back to the culinary world of early modern Europe, which invented cutlery, haute cuisine, the weight-loss diet, and much else besides. Aguecheek’s Beef, Belch’s Hiccup tells the story of how early modern Europeans put food into words a ...more
Published December 15th 2006 by University Of Chicago Press

Be the first to ask a question about Aguecheek's Beef, Belch's Hiccup, and Other Gastronomic Interjections

Annabel
This fascinating critical work is an important piece of literature in the field of Early Modern history. Appelbaum presents interesting and new ideas about food during this period and directly and relevantly interweaves them with literature of the time, such as Shakespeare. This clever way of writing means that all of Appelbaum's ideas become clearer and stick in the reader's mind long after reading. He also uses other critical material well, and this book never becomes boring.
Candace
Jan 16, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: food-lit
that dear miss tiffani jones gave me this book to me awhile ago, because she knows what i like. somewhere along the line, it got buried and i recently uncovered it. oooooh, excited to read it someday.
Emma Reese