Start by marking “The Illustrated 9/11 Commission Report” as Want to Read:
The Illustrated 9/11 Commission Report

The Illustrated 9/11 Commission Report

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  1,486 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
On December 5, 2005, the 9/11 Commission issued its final report card on the government's fulfillment of the recommendations issued in July 2004: one A, twelve Bs, nine Cs, twelve Ds, three Fs, and four incompletes. Here is stunning evidence that Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón, with more than sixty years of experience in the comic-book industry between them, were right: far, ...more
Paperback
Published September 7th 2006 by Viking (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Illustrated 9/11 Commission Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated 9/11 Commission Report

Greta
This was a textbook-like, tough read. I only recommend it to readers who have a special interest in American counterterrorism and politics.

Could have been so much more engaging and gripping, if the author hadn't included every single detail of the original report in this graphic adaptation. This abundance of facts has resulted in an extremely boring read.

The top notch artwork couldn't save this, unfortunately.
Richie Partington
03 April 2007 THE 9/11 REPORT: A GRAPHIC ADAPTATION by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon, Hill and Wang, 2006, ISBN: 0-8090-5738-7

"The Commission Recommends:

WE SHOULD OFFER AN EXAMPLE OF MORAL LEADERSHIP COMMITTED TO TREAT PEOPLE HUMANELY, ABIDE BY THE RULE OF LAW, AND BE GENEROUS AND CARING TO OUR NEIGHBORS. THE VISION OF THE FUTURE SHOULD STRESS LIFE OVER DEATH: INDIVIDUAL EDUCATIONAL AND ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY."

I have never read the 9/11 Commission's report. And while I've questioned my own ability
Jordan
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read the book "The 9/11 Report" by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon, and it was terrible because it was not organized well. This book is a graphic representation of the unfortunate events that took place on September 11, 2001. Two major themes in this book are terrorism and failures by the U.S. from 1979-2001. The first theme was terrorism. The authors use a lot of evidence in the book about terrorism and what the causes and the effects are. The second major theme was that the U.S. did a ...more
James
An excellent job with a few flaws - some key factors that weren't mentioned or were glossed over, e.g. the way that a number of Bin Laden's family were flown out of the U.S. while civilian flights were grounded. Still, the idea of presenting the content of the 9/11 Commission's report in this graphic novel format is ingenious and the execution very well done, a better job of presenting a mass of detail and maintaining an appropriate tone than I anticipated.
Kristin
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concept for this graphic novel was great -- take the massive 9/11 report; illustrate it; pare it down to the basic need-to-know info about the history leading up to 9/11, the major players, who to blame and why, etc. . . .

But the execution lacked efficient organization and, often, strong writing. When someone takes a nonfiction subject and uses the graphic novel as the medium through which to illuminate that subject, usually the goal is to make things less muddled, not more.

Language should
Martha
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for every American. An excellent summary of the 9/11 Panel's findings without the 1000-plus pages of the original report issued by the Panel. The illustrations are concise and serious; no "comic book" feel at all. I first heard about this book when the authors were interviewed on NPR; I was impressed with how they took this project seriously and how they felt very strongly that they needed to make the most critical information accessible to as many people as possible.
This is recent h
Mischenko
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never read the original 9/11 report because it was so long. I tried, but it seemed boring to me. I've read so many books on September 11th, but none like this.I found this one and thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did. The organization was pretty good and easy to follow except for a few small portions. I learned facts that I previously hadn't learned. Every frame was interesting. I would recommend it to all.
Alex Telander
THE 9/11 REPORT: A GRAPHIC ADAPTATION BY SID JACOBSON AND ERNIE COLON: Naturally, this graphic adaptation has been getting a lot of flack from different people related to the September 11th attacks, because they still feel that comics are for a child’s enjoyment, to entertain and encourage a child’s humor, and they don’t know that in some ways they can do more than books in both informing through words and explaining through art. Sometimes a lot more can be said through a picture with words.

I ha
Ford
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
September 11, 2001, 8:45 am, how could this possibly be happening? It seemed like a normal day in New York City and then BAM!, the deadliest terrorist attack ever on American soil. The 9/11 Report by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón is a book that tells the story of 9/11. This amazing, but scary book mentions the incident minute by minute, as seen in the following quote: “At 8:46, American Flight 11 crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City.” (pg 9) We also learn about ...more
Ali
This graphic novel, which I ran into in the comics section of my local bookstore today, is astoundingly simplistic and generally, badly done. It is a dry and weak chapter-for-chapter adaptation of the 9/11 Commission Report, and has little merit apart from an unusually moving chapter on first responders. There are a lot of things a graphic novel can accomplish that a block of text cannot, but this is an awful misuse of a form that makes elegant and exceptional storytelling possible. This is a wo ...more
E. Ozols
I'm torn on this book. On the one hand, I really liked the idea behind it- take an important yet dense government report that everyone should (but almost nobody will) read and make it more accessible and appealing to a different audience. And in that regard I guess it worked on me- reading the real report has been on my to-do list for years and was likely to stay that way until I discovered this graphic novel and figured I would give it a try. I read the whole thing in about four days (very quic ...more
Justyn Fournier
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 9/11 Report by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon talks about the horrible day that shocked the world. Two terrorist high jacked planes and were planning to hit the World Trade Center and the Twin Towers. The artist portrays the history of this event and their pictures. There is a lot of color and the artist also uses black and white. This comic makes me feel what the people went through on that day. The author gave a clear message through a comic of what happened on 9/11. I would recommend this n ...more
Jeff
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Jeff by: debating official vs unofficial conspiracy theory
Q: Would you like a comic book adaptation of the gigantic, official government commission's report on the events of September 11th, 2001?
A: Yes, please! Thank you thank you thank you!

Q: OK, how about THIS comic book adaptation?
A: Since there ain't no other alternative, i guess i'll have to take it.

If you read through several 1- and 2-star reviews, you'll get the full complement of valid criticisms: repetitive; artwork and text that don't work together; poor writing (jargon, acronyms, lack of par
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

The 9/11 Commission’s report in graphic novel form.

For those who want an easier way to read about 9/11 this graphic novel does the trick. I can’t say I’m enthusiastic about the artwork, but it’s acceptable and the story is very detailed for a graphic novel. I recommend anyone who hasn’t read some books about 9/11, but would like to, start with this one. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Jarrett Bell
So disappointing. I found this book for a recommended list of graphic novels for 6th graders. There is a fat chance that a 12-year-old could or would want to read this book. Even for a graphic novel, the text is so small and the pages so cluttered it was way overstimulating. Rather than try to pack the whole 9/11 Report into a graphic novel, they should have just condensed the main ideas to create a fluid graphic novel.
Emily
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always a fan of making complex information accessible. This graphic novel is unexpectedly good at making the very muddled timeline leading up to 9/11 understandable, while at once communicating the underlying problems of our intelligence community. As a classroom resource, this could be invaluable in explaining the change that happened in our country after 9/11, especially to a generation of students who did not experience it.
Katie
Aug 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little hard to get through, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't used to reading comics. Overall though it's VERY interesting and communicates information to a reading base who might not get the message otherwise- like me : )
Kitty Red-Eye
I really liked the first parts, but when it came to policy suggestions and recommended changes to US security, I didn't feel that the comic book format was very well-suited anymore. Very good job on the rest, though.
Sheila
May 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-50-a-year
This book is beautifully illustrated and makes it easier to understand the very complex events that led to the 9/11 attacks. I highly recommend this as a compelling guide to study this historical event.
Relena_reads
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ncte, graphic-novels
This is a fantastic presentation of really important information. I'm honestly considering making this an assigned book in AP.
Jessica
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8th-12th graders
Shelves: rdg-291
The 9/11 Report is a graphic adaptation of the final report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States released. The novel starts by giving a timeline of the events that happened on that fateful day. In breaks it down as it progresses to simultaneously telling the events that took place surrounding each of the four aircrafts, American Airlines flight 11, American Airlines flight 77, United flight 175, and United flight 93. It should be noted that knowing the flight nu ...more
htanzil
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enam tahun telah berlalu sejak gedung World Trade Center New York dihantam dua pesawat dan runtuh pada 11 September. Masih segar dalam ingatan kita ketika Presiden George W. Bush begitu geram dan menyatakan perang terhadap terorisme. Setahun lebih setelah serangan terror ini, Bush membentuk komisi Nasional Serangan Teroris ke Amrika Serikat. Komisi yang beranggotakan 10 orang ini kemudian dikenal sebagai “Komisi 9/11” atau "Kean/Zelikow Commission"

Komisi 9/11 bekerja selama dua setengah tahun da
Liara PvO
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this adaptation does a commendable job of translating the dense tome of the 9/11 Commission Report into an easy-accessible text. All the major points of the original are more-or-less addressed, and if you're looking for a good survey of 9/11 and the immediate aftermath, this could serve as a decent primer. Insufficient for scholarly research, but that obviously was not the intent.

The few weaknesses come mostly from the graphic novel form itself. Some of the artwork is particularly dated
Joseph
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stan Lee is quoted on the back of this as suggesting, essentially, that it should be read by every child in America - that fact alone unavoidably elicits commentary from the mind of any thinking person.

It does a good job of summarizing the findings of the 9/11 Commission in an admittedly compelling graphic novel format.

It hardly lifts a finger to avoid contributing to Islamophobia and toxic American exceptionalism.

If you want to know how I really feel about it: for the long answer, ask me person
Sam Musher
I'm glad it exists, as a (relatively) easily absorbed summary of the full 9/11 Commission Report. I found the art overly dense in places, though, and a little problematic in the way it set up racial differences between the hijackers and the victims. I'm not sure why nearly everyone who worked in the WTC, for instance, were white, suit-wearing professionals; that doesn't reflect the huge racial, ethnic, and job diversity on display in the 9/11 Memorial.
Gavin Fister
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: period-3-english
I felt that this book did a great job at explaining the reasons why the 9/11 attack was so easy for the terrorists, and how the U.S. can better prepare for another attack.
Caitlin
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little dry but, considering the source material, understandable. Very informative.
Christine B.
I was impressed with the fact that the 9/11 report has been turned into a graphic novel (so has the torture report, which is also on my reading list). I may use this in a future class.
Zayn Shahzad
Very descriptive and colorful.
Great Books: The 9/11 Report Chapters 1-3 16 11 Jan 30, 2014 09:24AM
  • Health Care Reform: What It Is, Why It's Necessary, How It Works
  • The Influencing Machine: Brooke Gladstone on the Media
  • The Stuff of Life: A Graphic Guide to Genetics and DNA
  • The Beats: A Graphic History
  • Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)

Nonfiction Deals