Start by marking “The Truth about Burnout: How Organizations Cause Personal Stress and What to Do about It” as Want to Read:

Today's workforce is experiencing job burnout in epidemic proportions. Workers at all levels, both white- and blue-collar, feel stressed out, insecure, misunderstood, undervalued, and alienated at their workplace. This original and important book debunks the common myth that when workers suffer job burnout they are solely responsible for their fatigue, anger, and don't giv ...more
Published October 22nd 1997 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth about Burnout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth about Burnout

Start your review of The Truth about Burnout: How Organizations Cause Personal Stress and What to Do about It
Juneko Robinson
Her observations about what can be so dehumanizing about many work cultures is spot on. However, her "solutions" are trivializing and inavertently blame the victim. Given the fact that many experts see little practical difference between depression and burnout, this is especially troubling. Dr. Maslach's strength is clearly scientific research rather than as a clinical practitioner.
Maddelline
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, online
Este bine că se discută despre acest fenomen (al epuizării) care a început să fie tot mai răspândit în zilele noastre
Julien Sobczak
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The true face of burnout in contrast to common misconceptions.

We hear the word burnout more and more. Too often. But even if the burnout has become commonplace in the workplace, it does not mean we understand it. I didn’t. I ignored I had probably experienced burnout in my career. I thought burnout was mainly an individual problem. I was clearly wrong.

Burnout results from a mismatch between who we are and what we do at work. The authors have identified six mismatches – feeling overloaded at work
Caryn
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
An indictment of American corporate management and yes, we've all been there. In some ways the vaildation here is comforting but in most ways, it is not, largely because the solutions posed - and yes there are apparently solutions - are just not practical in some work settings. The author presupposes that there is unity among the ranks and that all workers have the courage to not roll over and accept the miserable status quo. Sadly that is not the case.
Andrienne
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The observations despite being published in 1997 are still spot on. The 6 “mismatches” are particularly interesting and sound. The solutions are dated and not perfect but it’s a start. I hope there could be an updated version of this for the gig economy.
Nathan Griffin
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is 20 years old and still is pretty relevant since most of the problems with companies that grow are people-related rather than whatever unique challenges of the business sector they are in. It was very dry and kinda hard to push through though.
Christy
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Helpful for establishing the problem of burnout in our current market and indicating some approaches for change.
Matthew
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great starting point for organizations battling staff disengagement and burnout. Material is surprisingly current given how old it is.
Aaron
Oct 03, 2009 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book that, well, tells the truth about burnout. For those of you who don't know, "burnout" is basically what happens to workers who lose passion for their work and accordingly both they and their work suffer for it. Maslach and Leiter do a good job to explain burnout in simple terms with some helpful examples. They also separate burnout from clinical issues, such as depression, and personality issues. Over and over again they emphasize the crucial role of a good fit betwee ...more
Robert Bogue
It’s rare that I choose to take a contrary view to what an author (or set of authors) says in their book. However, I did when I started digging into The Truth About Burnout: How Organizations Cause Personal Stress and What to Do About It. It’s not that I don’t think that organizations have a role to play in helping their employees avoid burnout – or recover from it if they get there. That’s not the issue. I believe that employers are responsible to their employees for good working conditions, an ...more
Georgi Danov
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half is very nice blueprint of the modern working place and organization. The cases presented are short, but spot-on, the explanations are excellent.

The author (professional psychologist, not journalists) stresses repeatedly that stress and burnout is not personal problem and must be addressed holistically.

I skipped the second half, as it's outright utopian and naive according to my experience. Or I am way too disillusioned.

Excellent read for people feeling friction at the workplace a
Leslie Graff
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maslach is the expert all the other experts turn to. If you are suffering from burnout yourself or if you're a manager of employees heading down this awful path, read this book. Maslach's research is extensive, but this book is a quick, practical read. You will get chills as you see yourself in her examples. There aren't many books that completely change my way of seeing the world, but this one did. Must read.
Caroline
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Maslach has a fresh attitude about burnout that is helpful. She blames the organization entirely, but in her solutions, she says it starts with the person. The assumptions are still that agencies are reasonable places... Ha
Teuku Arol
Jan 12, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mindfulness
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Dreams of Joy (Shanghai Girls #2)
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones
  • The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • Fence: Rivals
  • The Lion's Den
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Thin Ice (Alaska Wild Mysteries #1)
  • Reputation
  • Heaven, My Home (Highway 59 #2)

News & Interviews