Start by marking “Shaken” as Want to Read:
Shaken

Shaken

Thirteen stories up. Two broken hearts. One last chance…

Surgeon Grant Sullivan’s once-perfect life lies in ruins. His daughter is gone—lost in a tragic accident he dare not allow himself to remember—and his beautiful wife now stares at him from across a legal table, insisting she wants nothing from him.

Julia Sullivan lost everything, especially her illusions
Published October 19th 2010 by Samhain Publishing Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Shaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaken

Kristen
Huge 5+ stars

Shaken is a beautifully written and emotional short story with richly developed characters, a powerful and emotional plot, and one of the most uplifting endings I've read. For such a poignant story to be conveyed in only 49 pages simply amazed me and speaks volumes about Ms.Tenorio's ability and talent as a storyteller.

Shaken begins with Grant and Julia Sullivan, a couple whose marriage is on the cusp of divorce (Literally! They're at the Lawyer's office as the story begins). They/>/>
Maria
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This was without doubt the most amazing novella I have ever read..

The story starts with two people,who are every much in love with each other,getting a divorce..Their marriage has been in turmoil,after a devastating accident to which they lost their daughter,Autumn..Julia grieves for her daughter but she feels Grant doesn't and she starts to question the foundation of their marriage,Grant's love,which is why
she decides to leave him..This story is a COMPLETE emotional read..It is about UNDERSTANDING,REPENTANCE AND ACCEPTANCE,where each next lineACCEPTANCE,where
other
,gettingpeople,whoWow!This
Rane
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Crista
Oh my goodness! A HUGE shout out to Kristen for recommending this book. I am sitting at my computer right now completely blown away by a story that is a VERY SHORT (8 tiny chapters plus an epilogue), yet a story that packs a bigger emotional punch than ANY book I've read in recent memory. I'm at a loss for words.

Grant and Julia Sullivan are on the brink of divorce. They have been separated for 2 months following a tragic event that has left them both damaged, distraught, and isolated fro
Wendy
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love nothing better than a heart warming read and this book had it in spades. Perfect!
Saly
A very short novella which I enjoyed a lot. The h/H are in a office with their lawyers getting a divorce, the hero doesn't want it and is instead thinking of their first meeting eight years ago and how he fell for her like a ton of bricks, despite being a workaholic doctor and ten years older, how she gave up playing to be with him. The past year has been tough, they lost their daughter and he helped with his wife's grief, burying his own and she walked out two months ago. When they are trapped ...more
Karla
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Karla by: Steffi
Passionate, hot, very short story, with a sweet HEA!
Shelley
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what to say about this one. I think I held my breath the whole time because the topic of losing a child is so painfully uncomfortable to read about. And then mixing sex with that, it was a whirlwind of emotions. This was a good short story about a couple's grief and how intense their passion is for each other as they try to find a way to keep on going despite horrible loss.
Dina
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dina by: Rane
4 1/2 stars

Kaylea Cross
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Holy cow! This was like an emotional sucker punch. I even cried twice.

I absolutely loved how the author delved into the emotions of both these characters. I adored how she didn't shy away from the details that made me cry. And my favorite part was that Ms. Tenorio showed that the recovery from the characters' trauma would be lifelong. She didn't gloss over any of it, didn't give it a simple fix.

Great read.
MountainKat
Reread 8.25.15 - I was picking out books for someone and this story came up again, just had to do a reread! Loved it every bit as much the second time around. It made me cry and it made me smile.

Wow! What an amazing short story! The characters' emotions just leaped from the page, or e-reader in my case, and came to life!

It is a reunion story of a couple torn apart by an incredible loss and how they find their way back to each other. There was no blame, just understa
Brooke
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-angst
This was a beautiful, fast read, with a ton of heart & soul, very sexy... I loved it.
Delilah
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lovely short story.
Anne OK
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
From beginning to ending, an emotionally touching story of love, loss, pain, and the courage and willpower to start again. A very short and quick read with a more than satisfying ending.
Sandy M
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
What a powerful story this is. And the fact it’s a short story makes it that much more poignant and emotional. Shaken is such an appropriate title for this book. Not only do the main characters have the foundation shaken from underneath them, but their belief in everything they shared together is shaken as well by the most unimaginable tragedy.

Grant doesn’t want a divorce. He still loves Julia, has loved her since the day his medical treatment of her mother ended and he asked her to
MBR
5 Stars Contemporary Erotic Romance

Reading Shaken by Dee Tenorio literally shook me to the core as waves of emotions crossed over me throughout the quarter of an hour it took me to read the story. Shaken is heartbreaking to read, yet shows beautifully how a deep abiding love between two people can overcome even the greatest tragedies in life. Since this is a pretty short story I will be doing the short version of my review as well.

Dr. Grant Sullivan, a cardiothoracic surgeon has be
Kimberly
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

Cardiothoracic surgeon Grant Sullivan felt like his heart was ripped out of his chest when a car accident took the life of his daughter. The only thing that kept him going was his wife, Julia. Now Julia wants a divorce, claiming that she cannot live with a man who isn’t mourning the loss of his child. Grant can’t let Julia go, but neither can he unleash on Julia the tidal wave of grief and guilt he keeps locked inside. When Julia flees the
Louise
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, read-in-2013
4 stars:')

Oh Thank goodness for Happy Endings:_)
MaggieReadsRom
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars!!

A car accident that cost them their daughter left Grant and Julia Sullivan devastated. When Julia doesn't find the emotional support she needs from Grant she files for divorce as she can no longer live with a man who seems incapable of mourning his daughter and only interested in the sexual side of their relationship. Grant does mourn the loss, however he's not one who expresses his feelings easily and prefers to use his desire for his wife and the solace he finds i
mizlanah
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Before you wish to start devouring this book, please do make sure you are ready for it, both mental and emotional. To be honest, this one is one hell of heartwrenching; it was excruciating!

At first I didn't get it why Jules wanted a divorce because I saw no fault in their marriage. Her husband is there for her, gave support and is still madly in love with her. As I went further, I learnt what had held Grant from breaking down. That had my anger full blast on Jules for being selfish. Poor Gra
The BookChick
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book Description:
Thirteen stories up. Two broken hearts. One last chance...Surgeon Grant Sullivan's once-perfect life lies in ruins. His daughter is gone-lost in a tragic accident he dare not allow himself to remember-and his beautiful wife now stares at him from across a legal table, insisting she wants nothing from him.Julia Sullivan lost everything, especially her illusions about her marriage, after the accident. Her grief only seemed to drive Grant further into his emotional shell-except for the nigh
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
grant and julia are going through a divorce, but grant walks out before anything can be finalized. julia catches grant at the elevators. while they are in the elevator, an earthquake occurs and they are stuck in the elevator. they are forced to face the thing that tore them apart...the loss of their child. julia feels as though grant didn't love their daughter enough, and grant feels as though he could have saved her, because he is a doctor.

what i liked: the intense em
Lillie
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
SHAKEN doesn’t waste any time. From the first page, you are thrown into the emotions of our hero, Grant. The love for his wife, the guilt over losing his child, and the determination not to let his marriage end. When Grant follows Julia into an elevator and an earthquake leaves them stuck, he seizes the opportunity to show Julia why they still belong together.

What follows is some seriously hot elevator sex, an emotional battle, and the resurfacing of a memory that had me in tears. ...more
tyrianpurple
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2014
6 lemme-be-ur-rocks stars!

this is written so beautifully. heartwrenching, gutchewing, and airchoking all at once. the revelation later is a good choice for this kind of flow. and it was being told from the "hurt-side" POV.. while the introductory of problem was being told from the "cold-side".

the focus, is the way boy/girl express their reaction towards loss. sex could be a way to forget, and a way to heal. reading from two different head is quite awesome and eye-opening. while the
Trish
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh where to start with this book...
Shaken ripped my heart out and put it bath together again. As a mother I thinking about losing a child is devastating and it isn't difficult to imagine the strain that would put on your marriage regardless of how much you love your spouse. Seeing the guilt that Grant was holding on to and the pain that his wife was feeling believing that he didn't care, I think any parent could imagine themselves in both positions.

My only complaint was that I loved
Jo (My House of Books)
(3.5 stars)

What an emotional story. I wasn't expecting it, quite frankly. Then again, the death of a child is a fear most mothers have, so to read about this couple reeling from such an event...well, I almost didn't finish the novella. The hope of a happily-ever-after for Grant and Julia drew me in. After such torment and heartbreak, they deserved it, right? They were going to find each other again, right?

(They do, in case you were worried.)

A real and honest look at extr
Anja
Nov 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-ebook, c, w-kobo
Lori
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Emotional. Deep. Heartbreaking. Raw. Uplifting. Shaken runs the gamut in an incredibly short format. Tenorio brings every parent's and spouse's worst fear to life and shows that it can be all right in the end. She writes with such depth of emotion it's impossible not to get caught up in it.
Brandy
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic-romance
What a fantastic short story ! Loved every emotional word of this lovely story!
Tania
Everything I don't like in novella's. Too short to add depth and feeling to what could have been a good book.

• Do Over
  • Fighting Fair
  • A Very Sinful Valentine (Addicted, #2.2)
  • Creative License
  • Smooth Irish (Weldon, #2)
  • Dare Me
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Heart Signs
  • A Little Bit Naughty (Tahoe Nights, #1)
  • Big Boy
  • Dirty Hero (Zero to Hero, #2)
  • Sweet Temptation
  • Risk the Night
  • Undercover Lovers
  • Christmas Revels (The Circle of Friends)
  • Don't Call Her Angel