Start by marking “Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Edgar Allan Poe

Born in Boston in 1809, Edgar Allan Poe was the possessor of one of the most original imaginations the world has ever known. The inventor of the modern detective story, a master of the tale of horror, a poet of haunting melody, Poe has gripped the intellect, the emotions, and the esthetic impulses of the world's readers for over a century.

Great Tales and Poe

Paperback
Published May 21st 1993 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

Vishal
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Books are best enjoyed - and best remembered - when you feel them.

I just came across the very same edition on here that I first owned when I was 14, maybe 15 years old...and I remember a disbelieving, cynical (I believe they call them haters nowadays) uncle was trying to challenge my degree of understanding of the book. Apparently he couldn't believe that someone so young could enjoy something so profound. Ha.

It was then that I realised that even intellectuals can try too hard and one-up others
Monica
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
I haven't read any of Poe's work since high school (required reading in English) and I found it much more enjoyable this time around, especially since it's so close to Halloween! To be honest, I didn't read this book from cover to cover--the mysteries (Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Mystery of Marie Roget, etc.) and humorous stories (The Sphinx, Dr. Tarr and Prof. Feather) didn't catch my interest so I stuck with the horror stories and poems instead. As so many people know, Poe's style is dark, ...more
Erika
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I still own the copy I bought for high school English and that is now going back a few. I fell in love with the imagery and use of language, the atmosphere that his words seemed to build and flesh out. His was my first true exposure to darker themes and his was the first poetry I actually understood and enjoyed.

I admit his work is not for everyone, and I suspect they are better discovered as a teen than as an adult.
Narzain
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, classics
It was actually difficult to star-rate this book. The well-known stories are five-star reviews, but several of the others brought down the average, at least for me. Not that they were bad, but I just couldn't get into some of them. So, there it is.
William
One can never read enough Poe. :)
Crystal
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
He is still the master of horror, florid prose and all, but also Poe surprises with his humor and how he sometimes undercuts his horror with the rational.
kristen
Jan 29, 2008 marked it as to-read
i took a course called horror in film and story back in college. i read this book but don't remember anything about it. time to re-read.
Jackie
Jan 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casuall Poe readers
Great book for casual Poe fans. Includes some of his most famous and best works.
Justin
Feb 08, 2008
Dylan
Oct 16, 2013
Nathan Cox
rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2015
  • Otherwise Pandemonium / Not a Star
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • Good Benito
  • Points of View: An Anthology of Short Stories
  • The Secret World of Johnny Depp: The Intimate Biography of Hollywood's Best-Loved Rebel
  • The Poems of Alexander Pope
  • The Best of Saki
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1-2, #4)
  • Borderlands 4: An Anthology of Imaginative Fiction
  • Starshine
  • The House Behind the Cedars
  • The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Dreaming in Smoke
  • The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Novels
  • D20 Modern Roleplaying Game: Core Rulebook
More about Edgar Allan Poe...