Start by marking “Girl Unwrapped” as Want to Read:
Girl Unwrapped

Girl Unwrapped

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Girl Unwrapped is a girl's coming-of-age story set in 1960s Montreal about the burdens and blessings of history, the divided self, and the quest to be whole. Toni Goldblatt's awakening to taboo desire conflicts with her Holocaust-scarred parents' expectations. Yearning to reinvent herself, she flees to Israel in the wake of the 1967 war, but the Zionist dream doesn't save ...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published January 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Unwrapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Unwrapped

Sharon Rosenberg-Scholl
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
Wow.

You know how sometimes the character(s) in a book become like friends, and you find you don't want to finish the book because it means saying goodbye to them? So the book you couldn't put down you now ration and read slower, savoring each chapter?

That's why it took me so long to finish this book that I've been almost done with for a week now.

Wow.
Ronald Fischman
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women, Jews, Boomers
Recommended to Ronald by: MKor Shalom library
I am almost as old as Gabriella Goliger. This may, in fact, be a disadvantage in reading and enjoying Girl, Unwrapped by Ms. Goliger, a long-term Canadian whose first novel has erupted on the world after fifty years of practice. I am no stranger to memoir; my first novel is about 50% memoir. Neighter am I a stranger to Montreal, having hiked (and I use the term with full knowledge) the elevation from McGill up to the top of the mountain on which Toni Goldblatt, Goliger’s lead, spends her earlies ...more
Deborah Gorham
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love Girl Unwrapped. Here are some brief comments.
This is a beautifully written coming-of-age story. Goliger’s Toni, whom we meet when she is eight, must learn to confront both her own Lesbianism and the haunting Holocaust memories of her survivor parents. At the end of the novel, Toni is a young university student who has achieved a convincing understanding of herself and of her parents. Goliger’s narrative is compelling and sensitive, witty and moving. Toni is a complex and loveable characte
Mary Kathryn
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This coming-of-age/coming-out narrative set in Montreal and Israel takes a while to get going, but by the end it's riveting, w/ descriptions of the Montreal femme/butch bar scene in the 60s. Only child Toni struggles to realise her lesbian identity under the pressures put on her by her Holocaust survivor parents, enduring Jewish summer camp, among other trials. Her relationship w/ her parents, esp. her father, is achingly portrayed.
Arsenal
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading Gabriella's new novel, Girl Unwrapped. She captures the voice perfectly of a young Toni as she goes through life trying to figure it all out, as we all do. Toni's parents our Holocaust survivors, they working middle-class, and there are secrets. Toni has secrets of her own too and that makes life even a little more complicated. Well done, a nice story.
Nagaisgich
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the character of Toni. She was likeable and I share a lot in common with her, especially her era.

One star each for character development and portrayal of the relationships she had with her parents.

Two stars missing becuase I reserve them for depth and exploration of the theme which I felt was not there.
Aubrey
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, library, queer, hippie
The coming out story of a young girl, Toni, who realizes quite young that there is something different about her. She is the child of two holocaust survivors, growing up in the 60s. A compelling glimpse into the life of lesbians when things were quite different.
Rae
A good coming of age story but couldnt help but to struggle with remaining interested in the story and was left feeling dissatisfied with the ending. ...more
Kate
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Three stars because the plot of this book fit well with what I like to read about. Reasonably well-written. Terrible title and cover (Arsenal Pulp Press, what were you thinking?).
Anne
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminist-fiction
I loved this book, although occasionally I found the prose a bit off-putting. The author really captured what it was like to grow up different in the 60's and 70's.
Melanie
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, religious, canadian
Really great coming of age story. It was an ever better read for me because I recognized a ton of the places main character Toni went to from my time living in Montreal. Two thumbs up for sure.
Amanda
Apr 29, 2014
Ferny Witter
Dec 07, 2015
Keri
rated it did not like it
Aug 01, 2017
Michelle
May 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Bottle Rocket Hearts
  • First Person Queer: Who We Are (So Far)
  • After the Fire