Start by marking “Mr. Bliss” as Want to Read:
Mr. Bliss

Mr. Bliss

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,268 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
Professor J.R.R. Tolkien invented and illustrated this book of Mr. Bliss's adventures for his own children when they were very young. The story is reproduced here exactly as he created it - handwritten with lots of detailed and uproarious colour pictures.

Each Page of J.R.R. Tolkien's original manuscript is reproduced in facsimile with a facing printed text.

Mr Bliss, a man
Hardcover, Facsimile Edition, 100 pages
Published October 15th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Bliss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Bliss

Bookdragon Sean
Many of Tolkien’s writings are child friendly, and none more so than this. If anything, of all his works, this is the one aimed at the youngest reading audience. It is a very simple story full of humour and silly mishaps. It was certainly entertaining to read in parts, but as a child I know I would have liked it more.

It lacks that universal quality that some children’s literature possesses, an ability to speak to all readers of any age. We were all children once and we can all relate to the the
Michael
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a self-confessed Tolkien nut but this was a book I'm sure even neutrals would love.

It's a beautifully illustrated and quirky children's book, the pictures drawn by Tolkien himself. Not just a great writer but a talented artist also!

What a contrast to Middle-earth and the tales of good and evil. I'm in awe at the scope of Tolkien's imagination, always have been, and how easily he could switch between different fantasy realms and writing for different age groups. I'd love to write a children'
Clare O'Beara
This is illustrated with charming colour sketches by the author. A small fairytale with bears in the woods, picnics on the lawn, a brightly coloured new car and pride going before a fall. I particularly like the girabbit, a creature like a rabbit with a giraffe's neck and head. There are some similarities to Toad of Toad Hall. We see names like Gamgee, Sam and Boffin, with other precursors of The Hobbit and TLOTR.

Interestingly in the list of costs Mr Bliss incurs, I note a sixpence tip to the p
Andrew Hryhirchuk
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little Sunday afternoon light-read.
Loved it. I am, however quite bias. I'm a big Tolkien fan, and I'll read anything that his colourful imagination can conjure.
It's a bright and animated children's book about the adventures of a tall hat wearing dandy names Mr. Bliss, and his spontaneous inspiration to buy a motorcar, and the trouble there ensues.
Aside from the playfulness of story and many delightful characters, the book is worth buying simply for its hand-crafted illustrations by the
Annaleely Leely
i would like a girabbit, please.
Laura LVD
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other, fantasy
Pequeña historia infantil que tiene la peculiaridad de haber sido no sólo escrita sino ilustrada por el autor.
La historia es entretenida y los dibujos preciosos.
Y me encantó el jirafanejo! (girabbit en el original)
Jennifer (JC-S)
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
My inner child and I really enjoyed this book. Professor Tolkien wrote this book for his own children in the 1930s but it was never published in his lifetime. The edition I read (pulbished in 1983) has a facsimile of Professor Tolkien's original written text and lovely drawings side by side with the printed text.

I wish I'd discovered this book 20 years ago in time to read with my son. I'm sure he'd have enjoyed it.
Emily
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute! Just the kind of story you can imagine reading aloud. Gets sillier and sillier as it goes, and Tolkien's drawings are just lovely.
The Peregrine Shepherd
Is this a poignant piece of literary greatness? No. Was it written exquisitely with riveting action and dialouge? No. Not by any means. But Mr. Bliss still captured my heart, if for no other reason than it's the first book I've read in a long time that made feel like there was someone sitting on the edge of my bed telling me a story before I go to sleep. It's pure, childlike simplicity is just... charming and Tolkien's writing style can take just as much credit for this as the bizarre storyline ...more
Bára Alexová
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odkaz na Středozemi je snad všude :)
Книжни Криле
Това приказно приключение по-скоро би се случило в Страната на Оз или пък в Страната на чудесата, от колкото в Графството, но... Шантавите патила на Мистър Блис са плод на въображението именно на Дж. Р. Р. Толкин! И тъй като отрочето ми е все още прекалено мъничко за „Хобит”, а май дори и за „Червенокосия Джайлс”, луксозното фототипно издание на „Бард” идва тъкмо навреме. Сега вече „безценното ми” може спокойно да слуша преди лягане приказки от майстора на фентъзито. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни ...more
Knigoqdec
Рисунките на Толкин винаги са много симпатични и приказни, но не мога да кажа, че "Мистър Блис" има в себе си нещо особено специфично, което би ме накарало да я обикна като дете. Писмата му от името на Дядо Коледа излъчваха повече топлина и вълшебство.
Тук ми хареса най-вече идеята за Жираека.
И един Майтапер се разхождаше из града...
И имаше една тъмна, тъмна гора. И три чудовища вътре...
Мартин Касабов
Не харесвам особено приказките на Толкин, за разлика от всичко, свързано със Средната земя. Това, за съжаление, спада повече в първата категория, макар в историята да се забелязват познати елементи, като някои тролоподобни непохватни образи. Интересно е обаче предаването на имущество и начинът, по който героите предявяват искове.
Zornitza Ivanova
Изключително забавна. Толкин си е Толкин!
Nicole Pramik
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
One thing is for sure - Mr. Bliss is quite possibly the funniest, cutest story of Tolkien's I've ever read (besides perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham). That's by no means an insult because cute and comedy can be good if they're cleverly done, which is certainly the case here.

In this posthumous work originally published in 1982, Tolkien presents to readers a hand-written, and hand-drawn, story about the clumsy Mr. Bliss and his many adventures and misadventures with an automobile, some of which involv
Michael
Mr. Bliss is delightfully amusing, both the book and the title character himself. He gets himself into a series of farcical scrapes involving his new car, three thuggish teddy bears, four obese brothers, some cabbages and some bananas. Mr. Bliss is a frightful coward throughout, not at all the hero you might expect, which I think would make him a rather sympathetic character for younger children. He does stand up for himself in the end, albeit in a somewhat passive/aggressive way. Oh, and watch ...more
Edoardo Albert
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I took away from this short little book (finished in a 30-minute tube ride), apart from its charm and the almost palpable sense of also sitting on the bed as Tolkien delivered the story, probably ex tempore in its first version, to his children, was how interesting and unique his handwriting was and what a large part it seems drawing played in the Good Professor's creativity. The story is slight although engaging, but the drawings are enchanting, and I'm reminded of Tolkien's drawings and p ...more
Ana Rînceanu
Cartea aceasta merge perfect cu un ceai dulce, mai ales dacă faci pauză de la "Stăpânul Inelelor". Ilustraţiile create de autor merg perfect cu tenta jucăuşă a poveştii domnului Bliss, care iese dintr-o încurcătură ca să intre în alta. Mie cartea mi-a plăcut dar verişoarei mele nu prea: “Mr. Bliss e prea neserios cu banii”.
Cynthia Egbert
I wish I still had young children to read aloud with because I think a read-aloud with this book would be such fun. I enjoyed myself in its silliness and loved reading in Tolkien's own hand with his pictures.
Lorelei
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Really good example of adventures that are hell to live though become the best stories. Lots of fun. ;-) Oh, yes, it is fiction.
Angelina
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished, children
Not really my kind of story...
Sara
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dang. Tolkien was a master. If a hobbit wanted to tease AA Milne into rewriting The Phantom Tollbooth, this we might get. Great fun for the whole family.
jillian n.
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, childrens
Absolutely hilarious!
David Goetz
Pretty mediocre. Wanted to like it a lot more than I did. The drawings are quite good, and it's fun to see Tolkien's handwriting, but the story is too long for the style. Tolkien's biographer described this book as somewhat like Edward Lear and somewhat like Beatrix Potter, and I agree, but it doesn't reach the quality of either one.
Samrat
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read far more like a book meant for a particular set of children than children in general. Not a bad read by any reckoning, but pales in comparison to Roverandom or other stories in the Tales from the Perilous Realm.
Amanda
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Tolkien and the exploits of Mr. Bliss in his new car are so funny. I enjoyed this book a lot.
Seregìel
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet, funny, easy-to-read story with beautiful illustrations by J.R.R. Tolkien himself. I really enjoyed it to relax a bit, have fun and enhance my reading of The Professor's books.
Petermathieson
I read this to my kids (4 and 2) and they enjoyed it. One of the characters is called Fattie, so I had to change his name on the fly. It was nice to have Tolkien's original drawings included.
Devon
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute little adventure story. Very Tolkienesque. The version with the author's drawings is amazing.
  • Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • Love Is a Special Way of Feeling
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Tolkien: Man and Myth, a Literary Life
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • Pettersson kriegt Weihnachtsbesuch
  • The Boy, the Bear, the Baron, the Bard
  • Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling
  • Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
  • Maria & José
  • Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R.Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings"
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...