Start by marking “White Lines (White Lines #1)” as Want to Read:
White Lines (White Lines #1)

White Lines (White Lines #1)

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  2,775 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Jada left home at the age of sixteen, running from her own demons and the horrors of physical abuse inflicted by her mother's boyfriend. She partied hard, and life seemed good when she was with Born, the neighborhood kingpin whose name was synonymous with money, power, and respect. But all his love couldn't save her from a crack addiction. Jada goes from crack addict and p ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Griffin

Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Pamela by: Monica
"White Lines" by Tracy Brown is the real reason I read urban fiction...because it's about real life, real situations and real people. Jada Ford, the main character in this novel, did not have the best fact, knowing that a mother's love in one of the most cherished things of this world, you could say she had one of the worst. She lost her father at a young age, and, because of this, her mother just gradually weakened and deteriorated. As her daughers grew up, Jada along with her y ...more
Nov 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
this book was a fast read and it was great. I put it right up there with Sista Souljah's coldest Winter Ever. But it went a lot deeper. awesome. Pleasantly surprised.

Cheryl James
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, all I can say is 497 pages of pure joy!! I am so attached to this story line and the characters are to die for. This is a story from rags to riches, from hate to love, from pain to Joy and all in between. You are a product of your environment, and being a part of the drugs and crime life doesn't mean that you don't feel and hurt like others not in that world. I have found me a new best author. Tracy Brown you are brilliant and I look forward to sequel 2 and 3. This is beyond a good read, th ...more
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I have read by Tracy Brown, and I was so impressed that as soon as I finished this one, I was on the internet checking out everything she had written and have fallen in love with her.

This story truly pulled me in because it is so real, it's not all about lovey dovey stuff that no one would believe. It's real people, real drama, and it puts you right in the middle of each chapter as if you are standing in the middle of the characters' conversations for youself. I truly fe
Cheryl James
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, all I can say is 497 pages of pure joy!! I am so attached to this story line and the characters are to die for. This is a story from rags to riches, from hate to love, from pain to joy and all in-between. You are a product of your environment and being a part of the drug and crime life doesn't mean that you don't feel and hurt like others who are not in that world.. I have found me a new best author. Tracy Brown you are brilliant and I look forward to sequel 2 and 3. This is beyond a good r ...more
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: street-lit
This book was an extremely explosive read. I found myself saying Wow, Oh My Gosh, I Can't Believe It, Oh Know She Didn't, and so many other phrases throughout this book while reading about Jada's life. She was really one tough cookie who endured so much. It was almost like watching a movie about this woman's life. At times I was thinking WTH is she doing! I literally said that to my self so many times because I just couldn't believe what I was reading. Born was the epitome of a natural born hust ...more
Mahoghani 23
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was very hesitant in reading this book. I'm not into a lot of urban, drug-related stories but this one is totally different. It depicts an era where the drugs ran rampant throughout New York and focuses on the true side of drugs ( no Hollywood glamour) and the affects it had in the lives of the characters in the story. It was riveting, sad, gritty, manipulative, corrupt and jealousy rolled up into one outstanding storyline. This book read like a real soap opera; never knowing what to expect fr ...more
Jama Jack
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I love a good story. I love good story-telling. I can read a 1000 pages without complaint, stopping only to take care of life's other businesses, if the story is great and captivating.

White Lines was okay. I only really fell in love with the book at the end, which is not really what I look for. It's hood literature, taking us to the NY projects again and making us live the life of the 'hustlers' as the story unfolds. The book contains relevant messages on the numerous social vices, the most pro
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So many people put the gold seal of "urban fiction" on The Coldest Winter, which I would agree is a good read all the way around although I was disappointed with the 'sequel but not really a sequel' follow up.

Tracy Brown is now a gold standard for me. Whenever people find that I am a reader, writer and lover of the spoken word they will suggest various books. This one was suggested to me by someone that consumes "urban fiction" in the prison fiction sense of the word so I was concerned. I have p
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the best Street Lit book I've ever read!!! I recommend this book to everyone I know who enjoys this type of literature...Brown really struck me with this one!
WynterAngel Zsun
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A book for the not faint of heart it's a very gritty real life look at the the impact that Crack made on New York in the 90s. If your looking for the book that has nice refined characters that found themselves with a problem and then headed to rehab and were magically cured this is not the book for you.

White Lines kept me up until 5 am most of the time wanting to see how it all turned out. Born is my favorite character in this or any book I have ever read. He reminds me so much of my husband. I
Savannah Smith
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis-In this book Jada runs away from home at the age of 16. She does whatever she wants and eventually became a crackhead. When she finally found the strength to stop and get clean she met a guy named Born and shortly fell in love.They go throuqh there ups and downs and Jada turns back into a crackhead and her boyfreind leaves her. 3 years later Born spots out Jada and realizes she is clean from all her mistakes and problem and they reunite.

Classification- This book is targeted more on teen
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I finished it within a week and it's a very lengthy I just couldn't put it down until I finished it. To me Jada was very strong although many would disagree because of her addiction. The book really puts you in a addicts prospective. There were many times I found myself wanting Jada to be through with drugs so badly but I wasn't expecting Born's love to save her. The saddest part was when Dorian died. It was just the way it happened. Most people would call Raquel crazy and obs ...more
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Drama Lover, Ghetto drama, Drug Trade Drama, She took my man drama lovers
Drama. Drugs. Destruction. Disaster. Determination.

Jada has a life that is truer than any fiction could make it for her. This is happening or has happened to thousands of young ladies across the world in so fashion. To see the life that she had to go through. The struggles. The triumphs. Her life became real under the words Brown put on the pages.

Born's life was that of a true hustler. He learned the game very early in life with his very own hero and bad guy. He learned to make a way for himsel
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Tina by: my neece
Shelves: fiction
Before i moved to the states i never had any contact with drugs of any kind .i guess i was kind of sheltered .when i came here i seen my first addict , the first dealer , lost friends because of drugs .
i never have and never will use drugs but now know people that do and reading this book opened my eyes wider then i could have imagined .

i have seen friends go through these horrors but sadly most of them did not have a happy ending .

this story describes vividly what thousands of people go through
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I have read by this author....I don't do alot of urban fiction but this book was stated to be such a GREAT read so I had to see what was all the hype....I for one thought it was a really GOOD story and it did keep you turning the pages cause you wanted to know what would happen next....that being said... about 20% of the book could have been left out because this book was 497 pages and some of the story was told over and over again...but still a GOOD read nontheless....I ...more
Latia hopkins
This book is a great example of the real world in urban/ghetto neiborhoods. Its talks about a girl thats grows up with an unstable family. A mother that chooses her man over her own children. The main character Jada ends up leaving home at the age of sixteen. she becomes a crack addict n ends up selling her body for money. But then she becomes clean and meets the man of her dream n begins to live the hood rich fairy tale. But her past addiction ends up messing with her future.
Sabrina Rutter
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Can we give this a ten star rating! This book was so good that I couldn't stand to put it down! I'm still new to this genre, but so far this is the best urban fiction I have read! I wish that someone would make this into a movie becuase it would not only be a favorite book of mine, but also a favorite movie.
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I like the way Tracy Brown writes. I have read two of her other books and enjoyed them also. Is it just me or would somebody else like to see this book brought to the big screen. I believe it deals with a lot of things that many people can relate to.
Dave B.
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book overall. The story that reminds me how strong the crack epidemic really was during the nineties. Everyone in this story was scarred. The only thing I didn't like was that it was a little to long for urban fiction....and the fact that by some miracle it had a happy ending.
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book was excellent, I love her writings, she's really, really good. I fell in love with this book from the door, it had me captivated and I just couldn't put it down.

I've read all of her books, this is a great author.

Check it out!
Lindsay Hunter
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Good storyline just way too long. The story just stretched on & on to the point where I was sick of the characters.
Feb 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
I found this book disappointing. As the author promises, she does deal with the reality of families involved in the drug trade and addiction. However, she makes light of the psychological damage that is done to the people.

The adults in the story prey on the children. It is uncomfortable to read this part of the action. However, some characters just decide to change their ways. No explanation is given. The main character's sister is an example. She goes from living in poverty to attending an Ivy
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nascha by: Christine
Shelves: urban-literature
I heard a lot about this book and decided to pick it up finally. And I don't regret it. Tracy Brown is a true urban storyteller, who carefully tells her tales of urban life, humanity and existence.

This novel is pretty raw. Brown does not hide from the painful realities of drug addiction and what it can do to individuals, families and societies. There were parts of this novel that were difficult to read, only because they are wrought with human emotion. I definitely recommend it.
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was definitely one of the better urban fiction novels I have ever read. I really came to care about what was going to happen to Jada and Born by the end, and I wasn't disappointed. Although I would have ended it with them getting all the way back together, I guessthat would have been too tidy of an ending.
OMG!!!!! Definitely a page turner. One of my favorite books. This is the first book I read by Tracy Brown and she jumped to a great spot on my authors list. This is the REAL DEAL! It shows what lies, drugs, addiction, and murder can get you. This book has sooo many topics in it, it's just amazing. Jada is now one of my favorite characters. I recommend this book a thousand times over.
Deanna Burrell
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book my book club read together. When I saw how long it was, I thought no one would read it. But as soon as you start reading, you're hook. It's such a page turner that I finished it in two days. My book club has so much fun discussing it. Great book, story, and characters.
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I rate it a 4.7. This was a lengthy book, very detailed. It was a great read. I had a lof of ups and downs with this story but it was overall great. I couldn't put it down at the end.
Junetta Dunn
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books thus far...I couldn't put it down....
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for this book.It will keep you on edge for the whole 500 pages and still leave you wanting more.This is what I call a hood love story.
Wine & Book Club ...: 1st Book We're Reading will be.... 5 33 Sep 13, 2012 10:48AM
Wine & Book Club ...: 1st Book Discussion? 5 19 Apr 30, 2012 02:48PM
Wonderful 12 50 Dec 28, 2011 07:18AM
  • Still Hood (Hood Rat #2)
  • Mina's Joint
  • Moth to a Flame
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
  • Grindin'
  • Crackhead
  • Secret Society (Secret Society, #1)
  • Harlem Girl Lost
  • Millionaire Wives Club
  • Desperate Hoodwives
  • Black & Ugly
  • Hustlin' Divas
  • Sheisty (Sheisty series, #1)
  • Bad Girlz 4 Life
I am a storyteller, a painter of words, a writer who genuinely loves my craft.
More about Tracy Brown...

White Lines (3 books)
  • Sunny (White Lines #2)
  • All Falls Down (White Lines #3)

Fiction Deals

• Want Not
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99