Start by marking “Technological Slavery: The collected writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski, a.k.a. "The Unabomber"” as Want to Read:

The ideas and views expressed by Kaczynski before and after his capture raise crucial issues concerning the evolution and future of our society. For the first time, the reader will have access to an uncensored personal account of his anti-technology philosophy, which goes far beyond Unabomber pop culture mythology. Feral House does not support or justify Kaczynski's ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Feral House (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Technological Slavery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Technological Slavery

Start your review of Technological Slavery: The collected writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski, a.k.a. "The Unabomber"
Bob Peru
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
if he hadn't've killed folks--he'd be a hero.
so i DO NOT CONDONE killing.
but his ideas are more than valid.
ok?
Илмар Шалаоя
Kaczynski is quite a character. His writings are determined and poignant, and albeit his points are valid and clear, I did not manage to fully convert into his thinking. However, his critique on technological society is much needed, and a bit of exaggeration can be necessary to get the point across to the reader. Most interesting part for me was to realize that while our approach to the topic differs a bit, our thinking is eerily similar. The book has a bit too much repetition, but such is often ...more
Kevin K
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lot of chaff in this book, but Kaczynski makes many powerful, convincing points. The man is no idiot. He went to Harvard at 16 and wrote a respected Ph.D. thesis in mathematics. Many of the darkest points in his Manifesto have been echoed by well-grounded, intelligent people like Bill Joy.

TK is often regarded as a crazy luddite who snapped and started killing people. But another side shines through in this book. From a young age, TK had an intense desire to escape from civilization and live
Tariq Taybi
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wtf i hate modernity now
Hayden
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Ted clearly lays out why any future involving technology is a bleak one. He explains the need for a real revolutionary movement and who should comprimise this movement. I really respect his ability to set aside all other political motivations and purely focus on the issue of technology.
Betawolf
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The subtitle explains what this book is: The Collected Writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski, a.k.a "The Unabomber". For people who live under rocks, the Unabomber was an ex-mathematics lecturer who retreated from civilisation and later sent a lot of bombs via the US mail, killing and injuring people. He evaded the FBI for 18 years and got turned in by his brother shortly after getting the Washington Post to publish his manifesto -- which makes up the core of this collection.

During his trial,
portabitque
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was liberating and intelectually stimulating to read. Apart from the content of the book and well grounded and balanced arguments, I like the literary style of the author. I think Ted Kaczynski formulates his thoughts succinctly, yet is able to present the essence of an issue avoiding pseudo-scientific terms at the same time. What is more, the book may be a starting point for further research and furher thoughts on the issues presented as many arguments were left open to debate.

* I found this
Jesse
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Cranky, cranky! Who woulda guessed the bomb-building hermit is so grumpy? Guess it shoulda been obvious. Back when they arrested this guy, I thought maybe he was a radical hippie... Turns out he's a right-wing crank!
Griffin Wilson
Probably the best of the 3 published books out there by Kaczynski; not only does this contain ISAIF, but it also contains an insightful assortment of letters Kaczynski wrote between about 2000 and 2006 to various professors, scientists, and aspiring anti-tech revolutionaries along with various appendices written mostly post-2010. In these letters he responds to various objections to many of the arguments laid forth in ISAIF in (I would assert) a compelling manner.

I would highly recommend buying
Scott
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting and stimulating read, especially coming after reading Thomas Friedman's latest technology jizz-fest book Thank You For Being Late.

I will attempt to summarize the main point I took away from this book:

Kaczynski asserts that human beings have a need for something he calls the 'power process' which has four elements - goal, effort, attainment of goal and autonomy. A human being needs goals whose attainment requires effort and he must have a reasonable success in
Tyler
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: viii-pretty-good
The collection gets rather repetitive after the first half, as the last few sections seem to mimic earlier writings, but nonetheless this is a worthwhile collection to read. This isn’t the ravings of a “madman,” and with the exception of his rather concentrated dislike of “leftists” and some of his more vulgar sayings it reads rather academically. I recommend that everyone reads ISAIF, or at least those who have some ill feelings about technology and it’s affect on society, as the essay at worst ...more
Benji Visser
You only need to read the first section (~120 pages) to digest the main ideas Kaczynski has to offer, with the other sections being ancillary essays to the main “manifesto”.

I imagine most everyone also says this, but here we go: He has some really interesting points about technology, but I don’t agree with his conclusion of revolutionary action at all.

In terms of technological slavery writers:
Yuval Noah Harari: Positivist
Ted Kaczynski: Extreme Pessimist

The points I most enjoyed
- Being unable
MFatih55
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Quotes

It is important, too, to realize that deadly violence among primitives is not even remotely comparable to modern warfare. When primitives fight, two little bands of men shoot arrows or swing war-clubs at one another because they want to fight; or because they are defending themselves, their families, or their territory. In the modern world soldiers fight because they are forced to do so, or, at best, because they have been brainwashed into believing in some kook ideology such as that of
Matt
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leftist-politics
"What is significant is that when you live in the woods, rather than just visiting them, the beauty becomes part of your life rather than something you just look at from the outside... In living close to nature, one discovers that happiness does not consist in maximizing pleasure. It consists in tranquility." (p. 405-406)

So reads Ted Kaczynski, "madman." I'll start with the usual necessary caveats that of course I don't condone his acts of violence, but Kaczynski is not insane. This book shows a
David
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
While there are occasional nuggets of wisdom and insight into how technology has despoiled the planet and in many ways made our lives worse, not even the author lived a true hunter gatherer lifestyle in the wilderness which his revolution advocated. A great portion of the second half of the book is largely redundant, as it is a collection of responses he makes in letters to various individuals, rehashing his manifesto. It was interesting, at least, learning a great deal about hunter gatherer ...more
Jeremy
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic, politics, society
I find myself moved by Ted Kaczynski's argument, and even the depths of his frustrations, while also repulsed by his actions. He might have been widely read today and his poignant message may have permeated popular thought if he hadn't gone about, you know, killing people.
Joss Southgate
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hopefully it goes without saying that you shouldn’t murder innocent people to get your ideas heard, but Ted Kaczynski’s ideas are worth hearing. “The industrial revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for mankind” is his powerful opening line that serves as the cornerstone of his beliefs.

Environmental revolutionaries are most often on the political left, so it’s interesting to read somebody who calls for a revolution also give a damning indictment of leftist progressivism.

Prepare
Don Mammoth
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's incredibly sad that this mans mind was directed towards violence. His ideas and the manner in which he expressed them here are valid, important, and terrifyingly on point.

A good review of this book in no way condones or excuses the actions of the man, and he receives no profit from this publication.
Marilou
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Technology is basically a powerful tool. It can be put to use to make our work easier, more efficient, and perhaps even more enjoyable. But when it is not properly controlled or when it is misused, it, too, can become a force with disastrous, even fatal, consequences.
Carlos
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
4/5
but -1 for the murder
Joseph Walker
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting philosophy. I don't think I'm even smart enough to understand it all.
Ashwin
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top book

Must read for everyone who would like to care about their future and that of our planet and its species
Gabe Vogel
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kaczynski offers a unique perspective on the issues plaguing modern civilization. This collection is a great insight into the mind of one of the most notorious domestic terrorists.
Dexter Lawson
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book unfortunately undermined by his horribly evil actions. How I wish he had just spread his important message peacefully!
Samuel
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucid arguements. However, in accordance to his view, such developments are outside the control of any individual and alas his revolutionary movement seems a pipe dream. Focus only what is in your immediate sphere of influence.
BreakfastParadigm
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have felt some apprehension in rating this book. I do not agree with Ted Kaczynski on a lot of topics, but this was compelling and well written. It goes ignored pretty often because of the controversy of the author, which is logical- but it is really interesting. I'd give it 4 1/2 stars if GR would let me.
I see a lot of the points about overspecialization and liberals being brought up less eloquently than the GD Unabomber did in this selection of essays on a daily basis.
Givency Godard
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
While Kaczyinski brings forward a number of points as regards the nature of the "technoindustrial" system - and the processes "inchoate" therein - the writings vary widely from the merely specious to the basically silly. K.'s ability to talk across a range of historico-speciological is at times impressive, i.e. often his arguments pit modern man vs. the Mbuti of Africa, the Kalahari, etc., but ultimately there's too much of it that could verily qualify as topical brevity; K.'s references to the ...more
Autumn
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
parts of this book are simply ridiculous and you kind of have to ignore them in order to get to the bits that matter. the author is obviously extremely smart, but people-person he isn't, so some of his conclusions about his fellow humans and their motivations simply don't ring true and rubbed me the wrong way. but what he has to say about technology and the ways in which it is destructive (to the environment, to workers, to people generally who are becoming lazy zombies chained to their ...more
Dave
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Kaczynski is an accidental futurist. While I disagree with both his broad statement of the problem of technological progress and his cold-blooded solution, his ideas regarding reform movements and what causes them to fail makes a lot of sense and could be applied to recent half-hearted attempts like Occupy Wall Street.
Cathi
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Technophiles, Green anarchists & Technology buffs
I finally finished reading. Wow, very heavy subject matter. This book challenges the reader to really think outside the proverbial box. Especially fascinating for social science and psychology enthusiasts.

• Harassment Architecture
  • Man and Technics: A Contribution to a Philosophy of Life
  • Sun and Steel
  • The Crisis of the Modern World
  • The Technological Society
  • What Has Government Done to Our Money? and The Case for the 100 Percent Gold Dollar
  • The Accursed Share: An Essay on General Economy, Volume I: Consumption
  • Spinal Catastrophism: A Secret History
  • Sexual Utopia in Power: The Feminist Revolt Against Civilization
  • Fragments
  • The Anti-Christ
  • Ride the Tiger: A Survival Manual for the Aristocrats of the Soul
  • The Society of the Spectacle
  • That Which Is Seen and That Which Is Not Seen
Theodore John Kaczynski(/kəˈzɪnski/; born May 22, 1942), also known as theUnabomber, is an American mathematician,anarchistanddomestic terrorist, who murdered people he thought were proponents of modern technology, and is serving life in prison.

Kaczynski was born and raised in Evergreen Park, Illinois. While growing up in Evergreen Park he was a child prodigy, excelling academically from an early
“The System has played a trick on today’s would-be revolutionaries and rebels. The trick is so cute that if it had been consciously planned one would have to admire it for its almost mathematical elegance.” 8 likes