Start by marking “Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)

Calling on Dragons

(Enchanted Forest Chronicles #3)

"We need to see King Mendanbar and Queen Cimorene right away. . . ."

They're back! Except Princess Cimorene is now Queen Cimorene of the Enchanted Forest, and she is on a very important mission with Kazul the dragon king, Morwen the witch, Telemain the magician, two cats, and a blue, flying donkey-rabbit named Killer. It's not going to be easy.

The wizards have become ver
Published December 28th 1994 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Calling on Dragons, please sign up.
Arlene Totally appropriate for a 9-12 year old. Perhaps it is merely due to a reclassification of the entire Series into Young Adult-perhaps because so many…moreTotally appropriate for a 9-12 year old. Perhaps it is merely due to a reclassification of the entire Series into Young Adult-perhaps because so many of us as adults enjoyed this whimsical series too. (less)

Iryna *Book and Sword*
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5stars

This was my 4th time reading the series and it was just as good as the first 3 times. Also I was able to notice and focus on many things that I haven't before.

I really like how each book focuses on different set of main characters - this way by the end of the series the reader gets to know everybody from different points of view.

This will probably forever be my favorite middle grade series and I am very happy to say that I still enjoy them after so many re-reads, and even if I'm prob
Kathryn
Calling on Dragons, though it does give us great background information on witches in general and Morwen in particular, is by far the weakest entry in the series.

My dislike, or perhaps I should say my lack of liking, for this book is primarily due to the character Killer, an enchanted bunny that Morwen finds in her garden. He's a hopping, talking MacGuffin; because a wizard was involved with his enchantment, Morwen takes him to the castle to consult with Mendanbar and Cimorene (who, incidentall
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-lengths, 2016

►MY FEELINGS
This book was very interesting from the beginning. I was very gripped by this book. For once I thought this book will be the best book in this series. BUT I think this book was very predictable for me after reading its previous books.
Nevertheless, This was a very enjoyable and interesting read for me. I am satisfied that this book didn't hurt me like its second book did.

Be Alert! Don't open any spoiler if you are looking farword to read this book or you don't want any revealations
Ann
I enjoyed "Calling on Dragons" but not nearly as much as the first two. Now, I wasn't able to read this nearly as quickly as I was the previous two, so I'm sure I lost a bit of the flow because I had to stop and start so much. But, I just felt the book plodded more than its predecessors, and that every time we got close to something interesting, the story would back off and resort to something funny, or take that climax moment and start explaining something that really didn't need to be explaine ...more
Clare
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calling on Dragons was possibly my favorite one of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles books when I was younger. It’s a little bit darker and a little bit weirder than the other ones, but this is offset by a heightened number of sassy talking animals.

Calling on Dragons is told from the perspective of the witch Morwen, who has been previously established as totally awesome in the first two volumes. While it’s great to hear a story from Morwen’s perspective just because Morwen is awesome, the real tr
Jannah (Cloud Child)
2.5/5 (warning: swearing involved)
Ugh. What a long boring pile of snore.

I couldn't even be happy that it ended because of the cliffhanger epilogue.

The first two books of this series are delightful, with lovely fun characters and an interesting plot.

However, this book failed because of the following:

- The plot basically had the same bad guys, the wizards, which worked the first time, but is seriously tiring now, the cart is broken, the horse has run off, so please take a fuckin' rest with thi
Caitlin
Not bad, but nowhere near as good as the first two.

In Calling on Dragons, the ever annoying Society of Wizards decides to become a serious threat to Mendanbar, Cimorene and the entire Enchanted Forest. They want the magic that's omnipresent in the forest and have decided that they're not going to let Mendanbar and his magic sword prevent them from getting it. So when the sword gets stolen, Cimorene, the witch Morwen, the magician Telemain, the dragon king Kazul and an assorted number of beasts i
Andrea
A story of many magnificent cats, and one of the most annoying rabbits in all of invention.
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
3 Stars

Tamika,

This series is SO incredibly cute! I have to admit that books 1 and 2 are my favorites but I think the entire series is worth the read. It is a Young Adult fantasy series that (mostly) stars a woman and has a little bit of gendered role reversal. Cute!

Caveat: Books 3 and 4 are pretty annoying and book 3 (this one) has THE WORSE ENDING. Seriously. If you decide not to read them, give me a call and I'll give you the run-down. Have water handy, lol.

Kaethe Douglas
9 October, 2007

cliffhanger ending, wow

5 September, 2015

I am perhaps most inclined to love this volume because Morwen, a witch with lots of cats she can talk to and books. But that stupid rabbit is annoying as hell and just won't ever stop whining. It's like being trapped in a car with the worst toddler imaginable for eternity.

Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I adore every book in this series! Imaginative setting, quirky characters, and an adventurous plot full of magic and dragons, secrets and intrigue.
It’s just as wonderful re-reading each book as it was the first time.
✨ Gramy ✨
This is a fantasy that will whisk you away in an adventure.

I really like it and would recommend it!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
For Trouble and Scorn and their other 7 feline companions who looked nothing like proper witch's cats, and for Killer the ever hungry rabbit turned to a bright blue six-foot donkey with wings.
They are amazing!!!
Cheryl
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've done reading the whole series, so will copy these comments to 3rd and 4th book, too.

Love the humor. Love the breezy adventure and endearing characters. Each book focuses on different folks, but the sequence events counts, and I do not recommend trying to read them as stand-alones. The ending of #2 is a bit worrisome, and the ending of #3 is a cliff-hanger, and #4 does have some intensity not necessarily suitable for the youngest readers. On the whole, they're clean and fun, I'd say fine for
Grace
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: solid
So far this has been the least fun book in this series, for three reasons. First, spending half of every page on the "nobody can understand what Telemain says haha" gag is way too much. This gets old really fast. Second, Killer is incredibly annoying. Third, there is no resolution! The whole book is spent on a drawn-out trek and then, right at the end, an interesting problem is posed and the book is over. We have to wait until book four to find out how it gets solved.

I did enjoy Morwen's cats i
Joy
Although I am so reluctant to recommend books in which a Dragon is turned into a protagonist, (curious why? Excellent non-fiction on the topic of myth and popular culture today is "A Landscape With Dragons"--highly recommend it to parents who have children heavily invested in fantasy literature. You don't have to agree with all his points to realize that he is raising an issue than many parents might not even know is there. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...) I cannot help but love these b ...more
ShoSho
Annoying characters (Killer and Telemain voices grates on my nerves!) and a very bad cliffhanger :(
Tirzah Eleora
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale
I liked the third installment in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles better than the second. Morwen's POV was fun and we get to see lots of her cats, who were definitely some of the best secondary characters. Killer the giant blue donkey/rabbit and the fire witch (can't remember his name right now) were both great supporting cast as well and there is a lot more action.

One thing I'm not a big fan of in the sequels so far is the references to well-known fairytales. I don't recall there being any refe
Michaela June
Unfortunately, most of this book is just irritating.

I know that part of this is that the charm of the writing wears off with each addition of the series. But I think that the author made some mistakes in this book. The biggest one (yes, I made a pun) is the inclusion of Killer the rabbit. I understand that he is important for the premise of the book, but he detracted from the rest of the story. I think that he is meant to be comedic, but he was just annoying the entire novel. His comments were
Gwyn
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another delightful adventure from the Enchanted Forest! I especially loved this one because the point of view switched to Morwen, whom I adore. I mean, she's a young, red haired witch who hates the traditional witchy things, has 9 hodgepodge cats with the BEST names, and grows lilacs in her garden. And she's just so no-nonsense and I love her ^_^ (unimportant but still: I really like the front cover but it's a shame Morwen has a witch's hat on as she never wore them :/) Those cats were proba ...more
Hebah
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
This one felt like a middle book. It was a charming installment, but it was definitely the setup for a concluding volume. The cats were delightful, but some of the gags like Killer's enchantments and Telemain's academic mumbo-jumbo felt a little overused.
Annette
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, youth
The magic sword has been stolen. The wizards are invading the Enchanted Forest. A quest must be undertaken to retrieve it lest the entire kingdom fall into ruin and decay. The loving couple of Cimorene and Mendanbar must split up to undertake different tasks. But wait, the rabbit-cum-blue, floating, flying donkey needs a snack!
Another fun entry in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, although I must confess the plot (evil wizards trying to steal magic) is becoming a wee bit repetitive. But I enjoye
Jo Anna
Calling on Dragons is written from the point of view of Morwen. I always loved Morwen's character, so I was excited to learn more about her and her nine cats Murgatroyd, Trouble, Scorn, Fiddlesticks, Jasmine, Jasper, Miss Eliza, Chaos, and Aunt Ophelia. However, I feel like I barely got to learn anything new about Morwen at all (although I did quite enjoy her cats in this book) because I was constantly having to read about how annoying Killer the rabbit was, how not one of the characters was rea ...more
Misti
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wizards are up to no good again, and this time it starts with a seven-foot-tall rabbit named Killer who ran afoul of the residual effects of a spell. The wizards have stolen Mendanbar’s sword, and Cimorene, Morwen, Kazul, and Telemain set out on a quest to recover it — along with a couple of Morwen’s cats and Killer, who seems to have an absolute genius for getting into magical mishaps.

There’s so much to love here. The interactions between characters are fantastic, the humor is delightful, a
Abigail
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-oldies
I. LOVE. THESE. BOOKS. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a quick, easy, and fun fantasy story that'll stay with you. I've read this series more times than I can count and I enjoy it every time and rediscover things about the characters. I recommend this for kids, and everyone older, because it had such a great influence on me and has such great messages. Love!

Also: this book is from Morwen's P.O.V. and it made me realize just how much I love her.
Missy Ansell
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, fantasy
The wizards are trying to cause trouble again by taking King Mendenbar's enchanted sword and try to take over the castle. Cimorene and the others have to stop them!

I would give this 3.5 stars. I felt like each book was kind of the same, and after reading them all in a row, I started getting a bit bored. I'm going to wait a bit before reading the last in this series.
Caroline Atkins
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful fairy tale

If you like dragons. Wizards. Witches and 6 ft (Well almost 7ft with the ears) blue flying donkeys then you will love this. Fun continuation of a very nice 'fairy tales.
aja
this is my second least favorite book in the series. it's a toss up -- morwen's pov means we get to listen to the cats talk, which is obviously awesome, but killer is so annoying. i'm not gonna read the fourth one, because it is my least favorite.
Bethany
This series continues to be 'cute' without having much to offer me beyond that. I would love to read this to kids: I think it would be fun. But I wouldn't read it for myself. Right now I'm reading it because one of my friends told me to!
Franxine (Shadowtearling)
I liked the cats. Killer was a mood killer tho.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #134 - Calling on Dragons 1 2 Sep 02, 2014 05:35AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • A Wizard Abroad
  • Song of the Wanderer
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)
  • The Arkadians
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more

Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
“The efficiency of the cleaning solution in liquefying wizards suggested the operation of an antithetical principal,which-"
"Did you have to get him started?" Cimorene asked reproachfully.”
80 likes