Start by marking “Pompeii: Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
Pompeii: Lost and Found

Pompeii: Lost and Found

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The famous eruption of Mount Vesuvius that snuffed out life in Pompeii and buried the town has long been a fascinating moment in history for children. This book presents that dramatic story with Mary Pope Osborne’s brief text and with stunning frescoes created by Bonnie Christensen, using the same colors, style, and technique as the ancient frescoes unearthed at Pompeii. I ...more
Published January 10th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Pompeii, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pompeii

Cynthia
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: juvenile nonfiction buffs
This is a beautiful picture book that is also an informational text.The illustrator used a fresco technique that was reminiscent of Pompeiian art. There are descriptions of the humans that were killed in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius,but this book is not gory. It focuses on the way artifacts were used to piece together a picture of daily life in Pompeii.
Cheryl
Not really what I was looking for. This book was more about the way of life for the citizens of Pompeii around AD 79. We barely heard anything about the eruption of the volcano.

As for the art, I so wanted to like it. But I guess I'm just not a fan of frescos.
Bonnie Ferrante
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pompeii Lost and Found is a nonfiction picture book for children in grade 4 and up. It begins with an explanation of the devastation of Pompeii by the volcanic explosion of Mount Vesuvius. The book leads us through the archaeological discoveries of an entombed city. It explains the artifacts and what they mean with regard to the life of the historic city. There is just enough information at each page to pull the reader through the book. It is written in a style sure to intrigue all readers and i ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pompeii: Lost and Found is a beautiful book that tells the story of the 79 CE eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. The author not only gives details about that fateful day, but also explains how the city was discovered hundreds of years later by archaeologists.

The illustrator, Bonnie Christensen, chose to create frescos to explain the story of Pompeii because archaeologists found them on the walls within the city. This gives the book an authentic feel, bringing the reader back to the thriving times of Pom
Kellee
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I have been fascinated by Pompeii since my Latin classes in middle school when I learned about it. Mary Pope Osborne does a nice job summarizing the tragedy, the discovery and the important artifacts that are found.

I found the illustrations of the book to be interesting. Although the book is informational, the choice of illustrations are to use frescoes to represent the art that was discovered at Pompeii. There were times I wish there were photographs instead; however, I love that the book is u
Sharon
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked the way the author, Mary Pope Osborne, moved from the productive, daily life of Pompeii to the destruction caused by Vesuvius and then to the found artifacts. Beautifully illustrated by Bonnie Christensen. An informative book for children and adults.
Cris
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Illustrated by frescoes, the book presents a very brief history of the destruction of Pompeii and then goes on to tell the young readers about different articles found in the archeological dig. Not exactly and art book but or a fictional book but short enough for read-aloud.
Jessica Hancock
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great resource to have in a class library. This would be good for students doing a research project or even just for readers who prefer non fiction text.
Apee
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
We read this in one night it's pretty accurate about the story
we read it because it's for 4 and up.It has only about 17 pages
Margie
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-a-day
This is very informative. I nearly gave it a four.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
More about Mary Pope Osborne...