Start by marking “Secrets of the Lost Mode of Prayer” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Secrets of the Lost Mo...

Gregg Braden

Secrets of the Lost Mode of Prayer

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  338 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
'There are beautiful and wild forces within us.'' With these words, the mystic St. Francis described what ancient traditions believed was the most powerful force in the universe - the power of prayer. For more than 20 years, Gregg Braden has searched for evidence of a forgotten form of prayer that was lost in the West following the biblical edits of the early Christian Chu ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Hay House, Inc. (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Lost Mode of Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of the Lost Mode of Prayer

Susanna
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like to hear him talk and this is a pretty little book. It doesn't say anything new but what I find irritating about Gregg Braden is when he says "science today proves that..", "scientists today say that...". Who? What scientists? What studies? If what he claims is already an universal true how come it's not on the news? I am not saying I don't believe what he says because it's within my belief system but he should be specific when he tries to present a theory.
Gail
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excerpt from book
" During the Israeli-Lebanese war of the early 1980s, researchers trained a group of people to "feel" peace in their bodies rather than simply to think about peace in their minds or pray "for" peace to occur.

On specific days of the month, at specific times of each day, these people were positioned throughout the war-torn areas of the Middle East. During the window of time that they were feeling peace, terrorist activities stopped, crimes against people declined, emergency room
Katrina
I found his discussion of praying from the feeling of having already had your prayers answered interesting. I'm also wanting to read more on the importance of beauty and blessing in everything.
Price
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author lays a solid foundation for a different approach to prayer. Words are critical, feelings are intrinsic to the process, expectations are altered and redefined.
A good start and one that, I expect, will help me to pray more meaningfully and effectively.
James Williams
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Recommended to James by: found it on my own
The object of this book is to teach that prayer as we know it in modern America, has lost a lot of meaning and can only truly be understood by truly searching some of the ancient works that have been diluted by time.

I get a real sense from reading this book that this is exactly what I have been seeing in my own evolution and understanding of my communication with God, as I have moved closer to Him and begun to understand the true purpose and method of connecting with Him.

Prayer is not the words,
Linda Sugar
Thank You for writing this book and sharing with myself and the world your knowledge and learning from your amazing travels around the world. I loved this book it held so much beauty, it made tears come to my eyes in so many parts of it. I have always tried to take the good in everything, that creates strength in myself and let the rest go. Your book added grace and beauty to the ability to bless everyone no matter who they are or what we think they have done to us. It was a joy reading each and ...more
Athena Khalil
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book a lot. First, I love Braden and his approach to a number of things. Secondly, in every man's life there comes a time best described by the following words: “I still pray but it's something automatic, and I'm not even sure I still believe in it... Because I've suffered, and God didn't listen to my prayers. because many times in my life I have tried to love with all my heart, and my love has wound up being” - then it is good to read Braden's book, it depicts a prayer in a totall ...more
Bold Bookworm
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
... This is a swift read that makes a few points and makes them well. Braden gives the reader a lackluster example of a trauma through which he has survived and thus become that much more powerful when he details the disappearance of a pet cat. Forgiving that and embracing the caramel nuggets at its heart, this book could awaken the reader to a couple of small things worth doing that might tweak life’s trajectory for the better.

Read my entire review: http://boldbookworm.com/pr020911.html

~ BB

http
Elly Sands
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I found this little book hidden away in a used bookstore. I simply liked the look of it- hardback and looks like an old text. I've read other Braden books and the title of this one intrigued me. I can't say that I'm a person who prays but the subject interests me. Nothing real new in here but I like the idea of rather than importuning for something,you act and "feel" like you already have it. Sounds a bit "New Agey" but he reports that the ancients did it this way and I do like his scientific ap ...more
Robert
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
This a beautiful, small volume that illustrates how my imagination and actions engage new openings in reality: thus a more coherent definition of the communion of prayer. The author takes a personal, conversational tone, and reveals personal examples that help make clear the elements of personal transformation.
Jonathan
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-age
I like Gregg Braden's writing. However this entire book could and should have been reduced to a blog post.

Spoiler Alert:

Now to save you some money. The lost mode of prayer is this: When you say your prayer envision what you are praying for as though it has happened and you are enjoying the end results.

Maybe that isn't even a blog post?
Caroline
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written book offering a different perspective to prayer. Braden emphasizes the imporance of feeling in prayer, which is a lost art in the modern world. Braden does a good job of bridging the gap between science and religion. He is clear, to the point, and inspiring. I am lookimg forward to reading more books by this author.
Sammy Sutton
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent perspective on prayer and intentions. Gregg has an interesting theory based on the universe. He does not attribute his theories or outcome to religion, and as a former cold war scientist, he often intertwines science to form an interesting hypothesis.
Kari
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is truly amazing! It is a must read for people of all faiths. It offers simple actions anyone can do. After reading it, I feel that I need to read it again so that I can put it all together for me.
Carol
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gregg Braden's work down through the years has always inspired me. I have read his books and listened to his tapes over and over many times, and I always extract something more with each read or listen. He is always ahead of the curve. He's a person I'd love to know and spend time with.
Shawn Brady
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Gregg writes about the fifth mode of prayer. Praying from the know. came out way before the secret but has a smilar message although I like lost mode much more. the secret misses or for some reason people miss that it is about feeling (not emotion) much more than thought
Joy Ayscue
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a tiny little book of enormous insight. I'm on my second read.
Nicholas Gurreri
Lost mode of prayer hidden for centuries
Shelli Biediger
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelli by: Unity Church of New Braunfels Bookstore
Shelves: inspiration
Very interesting book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and have begun using some of his ideas in my life.
Zeenah Spirit
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really beautifully put together. An inspiring book filled with wisdom.
Jeanne
Nettes Buch. Der Tip mit dem Segnen ist besonders klasse. Auch gut zum Verschenken geeignet
Kathy Bardot
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening, wonderful.
Paula Lett
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book.
Michael Sommer
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read. Such an amazing little book for those of us looking to understand the power of our prayers and words in our life.
Peter Daigle
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome interpretation on prayer being linked to feeling, not just words. I related to it very much!
Dawn Lillis
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. So much love and insight. Changed my perception of prayer.
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: J. Michael Padrick
Outstanding! A must read for anyone who has ever prayed to their God, Jesus, Buddah, or just a higher power!
Angela
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Another gem from Braden!
Abelismelis
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abelismelis by: gerardo
Its king of a good book. with lots of examples about praying but not a real explanation on how to get your mind and soul on together on prayer... I was expecting more
Pisces
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-shelf, spiritual
This book is so inspiring and positive. I love it. It's quite helpful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Moses Code: The Most Powerful Manifestation Tool in the History of the World
  • Getting in the Gap
  • Limitless Mind: A Guide to Remote Viewing and Transformation of Consciousness
  • Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future (And a Way to Get There from Here)
  • Handbook of Hypnotic Suggestions and Metaphors
  • Medicinemaker: Mystic Encounters on the Shaman's Path
  • Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
  • Lucid Living: A Book You Can Read in an Hour That Will Turn Your World Inside Out
  • Genuine Happiness: Meditation as the Path to Fulfillment
  • My Life as a Seer: The Lost Memories: The Lost Memoirs
  • Path of Empowerment: Pleiadian Wisdom for a World in Chaos
  • Trusting Life: Overcoming the Fear and Beliefs That Block Peace and Happiness
  • One Year Manual
  • Toward 2012: Perspectives on the Next Age
  • Kabbalah: The Power to Change Everything
  • The Way: Using the Wisdom of Kabbalah for Spiritual Transformation and Fulfillment
  • The Mayan Code: Time Acceleration and Awakening the World Mind
  • The Little Soul and the Sun: A Children's Parable Adapted from Conversations with God
New York Times best selling author Gregg Braden is internationally renowned as a pioneer in bridging science and spirituality. Following a successful career as a Computer Geologist for Phillips Petroleum during the 1970s energy crisis, he became a Senior Computer Systems Designer for Martin Marietta Defense Systems during the last year of the Cold War. In 1991 he was appointed the first Technical ...more
More about Gregg Braden...
“The great challenges of life appear to us when, and only when, we have everything we need to survive and heal from the experience.” 16 likes