Start by marking “Attracting Native Pollinators; Protecting North America's Bees and Butterflies” as Want to Read:
Attracting Native Pollinators; Protecting North America's Bees and Butterflies

Attracting Native Pollinators; Protecting North America's Bees and Butterflies

The recent decline of the European honey bee and other pollinators in North America poses a serious challenge to our food supply and ecological health. About 75 percent of all flowering plants rely on pollinators in order to set seed or fruit, and from these plants comes one-third of the planet's food.

Attracting Native Pollinators is a comprehensive guidebook for gardeners, small far/>Attracting
Published February 26th 2011 by Storey Publishing, LLC

Be the first to ask a question about Attracting Native Pollinators; Protecting North America's Bees and Butterflies

Start your review of Attracting Native Pollinators; Protecting North America's Bees and Butterflies
Caterina
An Eye-Opening Book

Augochlora pura, a metallic green “sweat bee” only found in the Americas (239)

Well-organized, beautifully-illustrated and useful resource that strikes just the right balance between scientific and action-oriented information.

Bombus morrisoni, Morrison’s bumble bee onclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Augochlora
Cheryl Gatling
By now it is a known fact that bees are dying. But when that subject is in the news, it is almost always honeybee populations that are discussed. This book could be subtitled, "Thinking Outside the Honeybee Box." This book says, there are other bees besides honeybees. There are mason bees, sweat bees, digger bees, bumble bees, leafcutter bees. They live in holes in the ground, or in cracks in walls, or in hollow stems. Some of them are better pollinators than honeybees, spending more hours a day ...more
Kelly Brenner
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once in awhile there are certain books that come along that every home library must have. Attracting Native Pollinators: The Xerces Society Guide to Conserving North American Bees and Butterflies and Their Habitat is one of those books that should sit on every shelf. It has solidly placed itself as the reference book for designing and attracting pollinators. It's packed full of valuable information and filled with beautiful photographs of insects and plants. Many pollinators are looked at closely, th ...more
E
Oct 02, 2019 added it
Very comprehensive reference book with a lot of information, especially for folks managing large areas like farms, park spaces, golf courses, etc. There is also good identification information too.
Sara Van Dyck
This is a practical, sensible reference book, as most reviewers agree. It’s also fun to browse through. And there’s another bonus. I also enjoyed simply reading the chapters on pollinators in parks, farms, and urban areas, which opened my eyes to the value of the mini-habitats these areas offer. I can look at a median strip, a lawn, a field of weeds, bare soil, or landscaping around a parking lot, and think about how each of these might be useful to some bee. There are practices that I can encou ...more
Quirkyreader
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are into pollinator conservation, get your hands on this book. It is a good introduction to pollinator gardening and conservation.
Trish Remley
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Abundant basic pollinator and pollination information. Lots of bee, butterfly, & plant details as well as presentation of possible actions one can take no matter what type, size, and purpose an area may be.
Joe Wheelock
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Packed with scientific information in an easy to digest form. The pictures are an added bonus
Mark
DPL 631.52 ATTRACTING

28 December 2018 Putting on pause as had to return it. Have on wishlist.
Lana.
A "Bee-friendly" focus in our garden club had me searching for a source of relevant local information. I hit the jackpot with this Xerces Society Guide which not only has a whole section on Bees of North America (Part 3, includes photos, list of identifying features, drawings close to scale), but also practical advice on garden planning, native plants to encourage healthy pollinators, and how to grow them (Part 4).

A great reference guide that I will definitely come back to.

Four parts:

1. Polli
Anna
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Attracting Native Pollinators is worth buying just for the eye candy. Every page has at least one stunning photograph or fascinating drawing, and I found it hard to tear my eyes away.

The text is a bit more hit or miss. The information is spot on, but the book is written by a committee who couldn't seem to decide whether they were working on a textbook or a guide for enthusiastic DIYers. I suspect some of the early chapters will turn many enthusiasts like me away, but if you keep plugging along,
Amy
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
As a simple home gardener, this book had way more information than I needed, but I loved it. It's practically a college course on pollination, local ecosystems, and agriculture. I liked the regional recommendations for growing pollinator gardens, and found much of the information to be fascinating if not useful on a small level. For city planners, farmers, or anyone in control of a lot of land, this book would be a fantastic resource! Still great for a home gardener too - especially with the gre ...more
Sher
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 51 2012 Reading Challenge- An excellent book about establishing pollinator gardens and spaces. The text covers butterflies, wasps, and flies, which are all pollinators in their own rights, but it focuses on bees and native bees in particular. Establishes a convincing argument for identifying and creating habitat for native bees. Covers creating year round habitat, plant choices both native plants and ornamentals for each area of the U.S.
Monica
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-farms
A great book about native pollinators. Admittedly, I just skimmed many of the chapters as they weren't totally applicable to what I'm doing. I learned so much from reading this book. I had no idea that there were four thousand(!!!!) species of native bees in North America that have nothing to do with honey bees (which are imports from Europe). Good info, and I'm inspired to do more to help native pollinators.
Kate
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: skimmed
Now I just need to find plants that thrive in the clay "soil" of my lawn and attract native pollinators. But it was a good start and reminded me that butterflies and honey bees are not the whole game, not by a lot shot. I wonder if it's legal to just steal plants from out of the ditches along the side of the road ...
carla
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great field manual on how to attract pollinators, particularly bees. Nice appendix provides information on bee identification along with different flora for bees. Since we live in a place with no outdoor space, there is not as much I can act on, apart from writing my political representatives to keep the bees going.
Ashlynn
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
A useful guidebook with plenty of practical advice and information ranging from details on pollinator lifecycles to fascinating factoids (did you know bumblebees buzz a middle C when gathering nectar or pollen?).
Colleen
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous resource for anyone who cares about creating and supporting thriving pollinator populations. No stone is left unturned with ideas for city, school, golf course, and farm. The photographs alone are worth the price. Many thanks to the Xerces Society for creating this valuable resource.
Dan
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically illustrated, clearly and concisely written, accurate without being overwhelming. This is an excellent guide to our native bee species and other pollinators, and what we can do to help them in our home gardens and elsewhere.
Rachel
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, science
One of my goals for this summer is to plant some native flowers. I skipped all the chapters that were about pollinators and land use that didn't apply to our property. It's a good resource! The garden plans were rather laughable.
Jen
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bees-honey
Excellent book with so many color pics of bees, butterflies. Great tips on helping out the pollinators, what to plant, etc.
Linda
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: country-farm
I kind of just picked through this one. All the close ups of wasps and hornets kinda gave me the willies.
Diana Biggs
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource book - will use to keep "wild-ing" my property
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I think this book tries to do too much... perhaps one would be better served with a book that focuses in the area of interest.
Just_ann_now
Excellent reference, lots of great photographs to aid in bee identification.
Katelyn
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Fantastic! An excellent resource for my class and school garden!
Kathleen Gibbs
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent reference on pollinators, their environmental issues and how to build and maintain gardens that sustain them.
Linda
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of the best books I have read on bees and butterflies. A must for anyone who landscapes or gardens.
Anna
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Pollinators save the world.
Louis
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful planting lists

• Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Feel Free: Essays
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
  • Gardening in the Pacific Northwest: The Complete Homeowner's Guide
  • The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World
  • Maresi (Krönikor från Röda Klostret #1)
  • The Honourable Schoolboy