Start by marking “Yes or No: The Guide to Better Decisions” as Want to Read:
Yes or No: The Guide to Better Decisions

Yes or No: The Guide to Better Decisions

"Yes" or "No," from the #1 New York Times bestselling author Spencer Johnson, presents a brilliant and practical system anyone can use to make better decisions, soon and often -- both at work and in personal life.
The "Yes" or "No" System lets us:

focus on real needs, versus mere wants
create better options
see the likely consequences of choices
and identify and then use our
Published June 4th 1993 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Yes or No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes or No

Start your review of Yes or No: The Guide to Better Decisions
Luis
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short book that really helps you take better decisions. But how? Simply by decomposing it and asking yourself a few easy questions. This system makes you take a good look at yourself, at your beliefs, goals and intentions and will make you act accordingly.
Most of us live "asleep" and think that we deserve more, but subconsciously we don't really believe that; that's why we dont always make the better decisions, and regret so much.
Flor
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I have to read it for school but I found it useful and entertaining
Allison
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks looking for self-help books
Recommended to Allison by: Tish Graham
Maybe? Sigh...Take it with a grain of salt.

I like the way the story was told. It read a lot like a fable or a folktale. The advice it gives for decision making is reasonable and probably very sound advice. The problem I have with it is one that I have with the entire genre of self-help books (and I'm honestly drawn to them like a moth to a flame - seriously): It doesn't have a disclaimer pointing out that the system discussed doesn't work for everybody. A lot of times when the system doesn't
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
Nice, quick read with good advice hidden in a slightly stilted but well-written story. Good for a class reading assignment in my counseling class and I'm glad I read it.
Hani
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
The storytelling style somewhat reminded me of "The Alchemist" but the lines and descriptions were so off that it was hard for me to get engaged to the story...WHICH was distracting as I couldn't really concentrate on the advice "the guide" was giving to the main character.
Instead of trying to come up with an outline of a simple story, I think this could have been better written as a straight-up informative book.
Suzanne  Chaar
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: english-books
"Perhaps you do not always need to make the best decisions. For things to get better, we only need to make better decisions."

“A want is a wish, A need is a necessity.”

“If you want to be effective, do first things first. First, pursue your home then your house. After you have done what you need to do, then, you can do what you want but only then."

“When I pursue only the real need, I am more decisive and I make better decisions sooner”

“See what is needed and pursue the real need until you achieve
Rhonda Davis
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
we all need to know how to make better decisions. this very short read allows you to get some armchair psychology into what makes a better decision, and why you don't already do what you know you should. highly recommended.
Ganesh
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
it's very good book to learn how to make your perfect decision in perfect time. Whenever you want to do or not to do any thing, just ask yourself that is it needed or just desired ? If needed, how to move ahead, ask yourself. Likewise, a lot of things can be learnt.
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jennifer by: Grad school
Shelves: graduate-school
Grad school.
Super corny and way over simplified, but some solid advice and good lessons.
Annette
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
My husband read it for a class and wanted me to also since I tend to be somewhat indecisive..... I don't really care for the fable type stories but the ideas are good if I can only remember them!!
Brian Cluster
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spencer Johnson has a knack for integrating a story with the truths that will help you in your personal and professional self. This is the third book that I have read of his and all have been very helpful in management, parenting, sales and decision making.

In the "Yes or No" Guide to Better Decisions there is a map on page 96 which lays out some of the key decisions.

>I avoid indecision and have decisions based on half-truths

>I use both parts of a reliable system to consistently make
Tim
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
“This is how we often make decisions - in the dark. We could light our way by asking ourselves a couple of questions, but we stay in the dark when we forget to ask.” This was one of those books assigned in my MBA program I never got around to reading. It’s a very quick read (less than two hours total). I really liked this. The story was a bit cheesy (it always is in these self-help books) but it explained the questions/system well and I think has a lot of practical use. We can always improve in ...more
Yena
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very quick read but the time spent is not correlated to lessons learned! I am currently trying to make career decisions and this extremely easy to follow (and at times might seem cheesy) book which tells the steps to a better decision does exactly that...tell you the steps to a better decision that are succinct and actionable. They may not seem like rocket science, but at least for me, I need reminders to do the seemingly no-brainer things that can significantly improve my life. I took ...more
Yann Yusof
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
Why I love this book?
~ This book is a life-changing book.
~ Nice arrangement.
~ Provides the practical ways to make better decisions based on our own value.
~ Teaches us on how we can shape our point of view, therefore we can give better decisions.
~ It can only take 1 day to finish this book. But, read at our very own pace. It's okay to re-read the paragraph or chapter. Let the advices absorb into our heart and blood.
~ This book should be read yearly or monthly. Because our maturity level doesn't
Melia Chandler
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by my mother and I had it for months without ever picking it up. However, after reading another book by Dr. Johnson, I decided to give this book a shot.

I must say I’m beyond grateful that my mother gave me her copy of the book to read. The insight it has given me is life changing and I will carry what I’ve learned from the book forever in both my work and personal life.

I can truly see how useful it is to apply the “Yes” or “No” System to reduce the stress levels
Lisa Hinson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very worthwhile read. Approach reading this book with a major decision pending (personal or professional). The fictional storyline writing style of this author allows for quick understanding and adaptation of the principles taught.
Mangualde
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A short book that intends to help ourselves to make better decisions through inner questions and thoughts. It is useful for giving us insights of a more effective decision-making process - but only if we make the "yes or no" technique a habit (and here is the challenge). It is worth a try, why not?
Andreea Sofronie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read!
Falguni Roy
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book for people who're dealing with decision making issues.
SCRIPCARIU CATALIN
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new approach for taking decisions easy
Yash Kapoor
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shot and sweet book but unfortunately not entirely for adults. Students in school and colleges should try this book. I got my basic strong in taking decisions after reading this book.
Chip
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. Halfway through and I am finding just a few tiny nuggets. Definitely expected more out of this book. Let's see what the next half brings.
Phuong
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short story but it has much meanings. It’s very important to apply it to the life. Quite difficult but it’s possible.
Loan Bùi
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m glad to read this. Short, clearly and easily. Thanks
Nhi Tran
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book gives better guides on decision making
(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Kasey ♥
While others enjoyed the way this story was told, sort of like a fable, I did not. I felt it took away from the message and confused me at times. However, I'm not a huge fan of self-help books, so my personal biases may have gotten in the way.
Maher Chaar
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
"In each of us resides 'a guide' who is an internal mentor that each of us if given to show us our wisdom. Our guide is ourself."
Andon Carling
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
The summary pages that outline the decision making framework: 5 Stars
You can learn the entire content of the book by flipping through the summary pages. It's a good framework for decision making, so I wouldn't discourage anybody from doing that. I found it quite enlightening and useful.

The fictional "story" that surrounds the framework: 1 Star
It added no value to me. It's a story about a man who goes on a decision-making retreat, and has a series of self-discovery conversations with the
Selly Lee
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This book informs how to make good decisions in our life. A main character is a young man who doesn’t know how to make a better decision. In this story, a young man becomes better on making decisions himself by meeting a guide and the group in the mountain. While they are hiking, they taught a young man why making good decisions are important in our life and the way it works. They helped a young man to follow the steps of making good decisions, such as writing a journal and asking questions ...more
Maya
Apr 25, 2013 added it
Some grt MSG to take along from this book

As you look ahead to making a better decision do you know what you need to do first ? If you Are not sure do you know what not to do?

To make a better decision I first stop proceeding with a poor decision.

When what is not working for you is finally out of your way, you are then free to find something better. And you usually do, rather quickly

If you want a hot cup of tea you must first empty your cup

Why do we keep doing what we known doesn't want
Because

• Trên Đường Băng
  • Cà Phê Cùng Tony
  • Tuổi Trẻ Đáng Giá Bao Nhiêu
  • Bạn đắt giá bao nhiêu?
  • Six Thinking Hats
  • Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
  • La Vaca
  • Chân Đi Không Mỏi
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
  • The Leader Who Had No Title: A Modern Fable on Real Success in Business and in Life
  • 17 Lies That Are Holding You Back and the Truth That Will Set You Free
  • Why "A" Students Work for "C" Students and "B" Students Work for the Government: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Education for Parents
  • The Cruel Stars
  • Mặc Kệ Thiên Hạ - Sống Như Người Nhật
  • Strange Fascination (Essex Witch Museum Mystery, #3)
  • You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again
  • دليل العظمة 2
  • The One Minute Manager

Spencer Johnson, M.D. left behind a medical career to write short books about life. The most famous was “Who Moved My Cheese?" published in 1998. The book became a publishing phenomenon and a workplace manual. Over 50 million copies of Spencer Johnson’s books are in use worldwide in 47 languages.

Dr. Johnson's