Start by marking “The Schocken Book of Modern Sephardic Literature” as Want to Read:
The Schocken Book of Modern Sephardic Literature

The Schocken Book of Modern Sephardic Literature

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  1 Review
The expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492 gave rise to a series of rich, diverse diasporas that were interconnected through a common vision and joie de vivre. The exodus took these Sephardim to other European countries; to North Africa, Asia Minor, and South America; and, eventually, to the American colonies. In each community new literary and artistic forms grew out of ...more
Published February 10th 2010 by Knopf Group E-Books (first published January 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Schocken Book of Modern Sephardic Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Schocken Book of Modern Sephardic Literature

Ari
-the introduction uses a phrase to describe sephardi jews ("a minority within a minority") which i have myself used more than once, and seeing it here in print startled me, and made me feel seen and known.
-I didn't necessarily like every piece included here, but considering the breadth of the work, that's not a surprise nor really a disappointment, and they all shared one quality, and that was again, to make me feel known.
-this collection gave me a list of sephardi authors whose work I want to
Allan
Alex
Apr 01, 2017
Chris
Apr 18, 2018
Ilan Stavans is the Lewis-Sebring Professor in Latin American and Latino Culture at Amherst College. An award-winning writer and public television host, his books include Growing Up Latino and Spanglish. A native of Mexico City, he lives in Amherst, Massachusetts.
More about Ilan Stavans