Start by marking “Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)” as Want to Read:
Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)

Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)

Spirit Thorn, A Tale of Parallel Worlds, the important new novel by Zacharias O'Bryan, unifies spiritual ethics with both ecological mandates and the mind-bending cosmology of cutting edge physics. A science-fiction/fantasy adventure, Spirit Thorn is capturing the hearts, hopes and tears of all Seekers -- from the precocious ten-year-old to the questing adult.
#####
Do paral
Kindle Edition
Published April 7th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Spirit Thorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit Thorn

Bryan Frink
As the author of the book, I'll recuse myself from the task of judging "Spirit Thorn, A Tale of Parallel Worlds," by Zacharias O'Bryan. There are many others willing both to praise and criticize the work. To those who have praised it: Thank you! Everyone can use a little reassurance. To those who have criticized it: Sorry it didn't meet expectations. No one knows better than I the shortcomings of the book.

What I can say in an author review, is that, for me, the book succeeds partially. As we mov
Diane M
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Spirit Thorn is a unique book: delightful, engaging, thought-provoking, not easy to categorize.
On the surface, it’s a contemporary fantasy tale in the Hero’s Quest genre. Braden, a precocious 14 year old, vows to find out what happened to his scientist parents, who mysteriously disappeared at the same moment their research findings were obliterated. An other-worldly girl urges him, and then joins and protects him, on a path into realms which at first have the appearance of earth’s “reality” and
Jeremy Stephens
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2011
This is an extremely difficult book for me to review. On one hand, the story was kind of weak and the first couple chapters left me thinking this was a sequel since there are details (such as the Thorn) that are just thrown out there with little explanation. Character development was also lacking. Because of that, I was tempted to only give it a two star rating.
On the other hand, this book did present a lot of interesting ideas concerning space, time, parallel dimensions, etc. Some parts of t
Heather
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who is interested in a novel that makes you think
This book combined elements of nature and science to bring together a epic fantasy that drew me in from the first page.It sent my mind reeling about possibilities of other worlds. It made me think about our own reality. All these realities each moving in time with one another. Any book that can draw me in from the first page and make me keep reading is a 5 star book to me. His world weave is very descriptive and I can almost feel his world in my fingertips. Bravo..looking forward to more reads.
I
Kirsten
Jun 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook
Leia
May 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those interested in physics and mathematics, sci-fi and fantasy lovers
I wish I could give half-stars, because while Spirit Thorn doesn't quite merit three stars for me, I feel kind of bad giving it only two.

So, story synopsis: Braden's parents, who were world-renowned physicists working on incredibly complex and provocative research regarding the physics behind parallel universes, disappeared without a trace year ago. Determined to find out what happened to them, Braden concocts an elaborate plan to recreate the exact conditions of the night his parents vanished,
Samuel Addison
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Zacharias O'Bryan has taken some big themes - nature, humanity, multiverse cosmology, ethics, fate, family and more - and deftly weaved them into a charmingly engaging miniature oddessy.

There is always a danger that novels tackling such themes can end up boring the reader with humourless piety, but Spirit Thorn does not suffer this fate. Far from it - even at its most serious moments, the twinkle in O'Bryan's eye is never far from view. The mystical and ecological concepts are never forced or pr
Alison
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this book 4 stars because it was well written and has a really unique concept. The fact that I didn't quite understand it all because of my lack of scientific brain doesn't mean it should earn any less. I would say this book would best suit younger lads who understand and enjoy science (or girls for that matter, I'm not being sexist). It revolves around a young boy, whose parents have gone missing and he thinks it was into a parellel universe. So he puts together an experiment to try ...more
Jim
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, jims-reviews
This book was a bit difficult to get through. It seems almost to be a debut novella of someone that is just getting their feet wet. And, it's an early draft.

The ideas are interesting. Magic and metaphysics and alternate dimensions. But it was hard to get into. And hard to stick with. The annoying characters that I hated that seemed like would be in for only a scene or two ended up staying until the end. The story doesn't flow real well, and it's wrapped up at the end a bit too quickly and confu
George Schlukbier
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a journey about a young man who goes looking for his missing parents. Braden follows the journals from his parents, Rodger and Cassie Swift, to find himself caught in a parallel world with a Spirit Thorn, a spirit girl- Kestrelle and Molly Greenfingers (a monster) who charms you with her amazing music. In fact the theme of music with the river were the better parts of this novel. I would strongly recommend it for young adult readers who are biased towards fantasy fiction. I personal ...more
Brianne
Jul 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: free-on-kindle
To be honest, I didn't finish the book. I got about half way through and realized that I didn't remember or care about anything I'd read so far. Since I downloaded it for free I didn't bother forcing myself to finish it. The book is geared for a younger audience and just didn't hold my attention. If you are the sort of person that enjoys reading pre-teen fantasy stories involving parallel worlds and talking animals then you might enjoy this book.
Wesley
Oct 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
This books stands out on my mind as one with the worst dialogue/monologue, I couldn't even get past the first couple of chapters...
Marichee
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Shelves: candy-books, scifi
Easy easy read. Too easy in fact. I finished it, never fear, but it was almost like reading a Dr. Seuss book.
kent
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
it is basically a 10-12 y/o children's book. It was decent, i finished it
Stephen Jones
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun. A young man is taken to a parallel world in search of his missing parents. Everything is the same, but different. The action is as much psychological as well as physical.
Lynne
Sep 30, 2014
Billy rdhivya2
Jun 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Spirit Thorn by Zacharias O'Bryan 1 2 Jun 12, 2012 06:14PM
For half a century Zacharias O'Bryan has fueled his listeners' imaginations with his stage plays, his fireside tales and his songs of adventure. The grass-grown, tumbled stone castles of Ireland, the dark-chambered Toltec tombs of southern Mexico, the Anasazi cliff dwellings of the American Southwest—these are lands that speak to O'Bryan.

Mr. O'Bryan resides in Ashland, Oregon, with his wife Diane.