Start by marking “1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die” as Want to Read:
1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die

1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die

It's the phenomenon: 1,000 Places to See Before You Die has 2.2 million copies in print and has spent 144 weeks and counting on The New York Times bestseller list.

Now, shipping in time for the tens of millions of travelers heading out for summer trips, comes 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die. Sail the Maine Windjammers out of Camden. Explore th
Published June 7th 2007 by Workman Publishing Company (first published May 14th 2007)

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen Farthing1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare1,000 Places to See Before You Die by Patricia Schultz
A List of Lists
364 books — 65 voters
Bloodlines by Richelle MeadCrossed by Ally CondieAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonThe Iron Queen by Julie KagawaForever by Maggie Stiefvater
Book Expo 2011
141 books — 169 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel-books
I never leave for a vacation without this book!! I love to travel and often wonder if I am truly hitting the most important landmarks when touring cities and towns. This book gives me a guideline to follow so that I know I am hitting some of the most important places. I love that the book gives suggested restaurants and places to stay as well as important festivals and historical sites. I also love that there is background information for each location as well as historical information and addre ...more
Michael
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, travel
1.5 star
I'm not sure there is anything in this book that you can't find with a good search online. Yes, it may help you find a couple of extra places - I don't know. The layout is poor and descriptions are underwhelming. The book does not fit the title. I don't need to know about three hotels in an area to see before I die, unless they are the most amazing structural marvels to mankind. Bleh. 2-stars because there is probably some valuable stuff in here.
Adrian Sanabria
I was disappointed. I was hoping for a book with some deep, personal insight into some of these places. Inside tips on where to go, what to do. Instead, this reads like a typical tourist guide. I checked out some of the places I've been on the list, and if you follow this guide, you're going to miss the best parts.
Michelle
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like that there are just towns that need to be seen. I was looking for fun places when going on a road trip and just tells me to go to a specific town and basically figure it out myself. Not at all what I wanted.
Leslie Hickman
It's okay I guess. I still feel as if some places were divided multiple times just so they could reach 1000 places without doing all that much traveling.
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it
It was okay. I wanted more details in the places that I should see to see if I would actually want to go and see them. Perhaps some more pictures as well.
Traci
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is long. Too long to be very good.
It ultimately is not 1000 places you need to see it more like 1000 things to know about places that you may visit one day.
A solid 1/5 to 1/3 of the book is hotel reviews. Many of them 300+ per night ( 2001 dollars). Another 1/5 to 1/3 is restaurant reviews. So, basically over 1/2 of the book are hotel and restaurant reviews from 2001.

I travel a lot, most of the stuff I would consider seeing is not in the book. Many of the things in the book I’ve see
Sophie Crane
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for those who love driving, planning their drive and not missing the most important sights. If you are based in the USA or Canada this is a 5* book, if you are based in the UK, like me, then you are going to have to visit North America many times to get full value. So far, I've managed to see 45 of the main attractions listed and have yet to be disappointed. If you find that you enjoy touring in North America, I would also recommend "Road Trip USA" by Jamie Jensen and "The M ...more
Jeni Enjaian
For someone who loves to travel this is a must have. The descriptions of each place were well done and wide ranging. The only criticism I have is that the author often designates things such as "historic hotels" or "restaurants" for a certain city. I would rather landmarks be pointed out and hotels and restaurants (unless they are themselves a landmark like the Oyster House in Boston) for other guides like Frommer's or Lonely Planets. Maybe that way Ms. Shultz would have had room for a landmark ...more
Heidi
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love these books because it inspires we to travel to all these different locations with my tiny family. If you are planning a family vacation you should read this book.
Michael
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book - and while I think I have been to a lot of places, this book points out so many things I haven't seen and now want to put on my own personal "bucket list." I could honestly envision myself packing up, hitting the road, and just going from place to place with this book as a guide. Too bad I don't have the resources to go do it full time!

If you're looking for a vacation idea for a long or short getaway or even a longer trip, start here
Shawn
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-books, travel
This is a good reference if you are moving or looking to explore a new area.

Some areas are so highly covered that I have to wonder what are the stretch locations and what are the real favorites? There are a lot of golf and spa type locations in the book that I would not have chosen but overall I agree with the list.
LynnG
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not enough maps and poorly organized.... Alphabetical, not locational, so I have to take these ideas and go to the internet to find out if they are near where I'm going. The special indexes are useful... I can easily look up all the surfing places, etc, but that doesn't make up for the fact that this requires a lot of additional time to lookup where everything is.
Rachel Rogers
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always read these with my eye on which/how many I've already visited. And I'm doing pretty well. Enjoyable, bite sized essays on interesting, historical, cultural, scientific, or just plain pretty places around the USA and Canada. Heading to the Maritimes this summer so I'll hit a few more.
Jessica
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing guide for everywhere you might want to go! It was super cool reading about places I've been and writing down places I want to go in the future!
Robin Ferguson
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fished dog earring all the places I need to see! Will always be on my bookshelf ready for our next adventure!
Alex Telander
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
1000 PLACES TO SEE IN THE USA AND CANADA BEFORE YOU DIE BY PATRICIA SCHULTZ: When travel writer Patricia Schultz published 1000 Places to See Before You Die on May 22nd, 2003, she expected the book to do relatively well like her other travel writings. She has written for Frommer’s, Berlitz, and Access travel guides, and has published articles in Condé Nast Traveler, Islands, and Harper’s Bazaar: a fairly accomplished travel writer in her field. This was the general idea for bookstores also: 1000 ...more
Lacy Cox
Lacy Cox
APA Citation: Schultz, P. (2011). 1,000 Places to See in the United States and Canada before you die (Updated ed.). New York, NY: Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
Call Number: Ref 402.03 Sch
Reference: Encyclopedia
Relevance & Relationship: This is one of the only travel books available in the reference collection. This book could be used in geography classes, marketing classes, and advertising classes. This is most relevant travel wise to students because most will not be able to expl
Steven Peterson
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book. The reader can build vacations around it. The work is based on the philosophy that (page x):

". . .travel has always been based on removing myself from what is comfortable and safe, on seeking out experiences that broaden my horizons and enrich me in ways superficial and profound."

The author also notes that she (page xiii) ". . .discovered time and again the country that is my home."

I'm from Illinois originally, so I immediately looked at the sites in the Prairie State. Man
Ellie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2018, research, owned
I didn't read this book cover to cover; I think that's pretty obvious. However, my summer road trip is finally planned, and I think it's time to take this off of of my currently reading shelf.

If you have a specific place in mind, this is not the book for you. However, I didn't know where I wanted to go for my road-trip, so this was a good guide in pointing some of the less obvious destinations. I kept a running list of places that looked interesting, and this book will also serve as a guide for
Rebecca
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I only read the Prince Edward Island part of this 1100+ page book, but it included this site: http://www.visitcharlottetown.com/ Site copyright 2002, still lists events for 2007. Book was published in 2011. Boo. Several other sites were not current, but readers are encouraged to report errors on the web site.

Other than that, I like the concept of this book and would peruse it before going somewhere new, or when looking for something unusual to see nearby. As the opening quote says, "The whole o
Keri
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.

My family has always been a family that likes to travel, especially to places no one else has ever seen, so this book is a great travel guide for us. There were dozens of places we have already seen (I was even surprised to find my hometown listed as one of the 1,000 places!), but hundreds more we have never been to. The information and websites also really makes planning a lot easier. There are already a bunch of places we are going to t
Debbey Sperberg lukaszewicz
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love lists especially of the to-do variety, I love to travel and because of this I love this book! Before I bought this domestic version, I acquired the original "1000 Places to See" which I also loved but since Im usually on the broke side there was a lot of sighing and "How will I ever see all these amazing places, how oh how" Well this book has a lot less of that, of course there are a thousand(!) places so unless I spend my rest of my life on the road (if only!!) I wont be completely this ...more
Barb
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The first thing I do when I pick up a book like this is look to see if the things I know for a fact are accurate. Since I was born and raised in Minnesota, that was the first place I checked. My theory being - if her writing on Minnesota is good and accurate, I can trust her writing on other locations. Her writing on Minnesota was astounding! I would give her an A for what she chose to write about, how she wrote it, and the accuracy of the information. I then found the rest of the book a delight ...more
Chris Batchelor
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like the Energizer Bunny - it keeps going and going and going some more. Reading it, felt like it took forever, and I tried to rarely put it down. It's chapters were long (sometimes too long) and I felt that it rambled on and on infinitely. I mean, unlike the predecessor book that is devoted to places around the world in about a thousand or more pages also, these places I actually would want to visit - and some I can visit because they are so close by.

I think the author is trying t
Rachel
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a reading book. This is a browse through and dream with your loved ones then keep in the car and stop and see something on your next trip book. We've already used ours to see Carlsbad Caverns and Ojo Caliente hot springs in Santa Fe and Byrce and Zion National Parks, it even recommended trails. I hope to one day work up to the world version. If you always mean to stop and see something on the way to grandma's and never do it try this book as a way to motivate and take the fear out. I ...more
Patty Barr
I really didn't read every word of this book, but it's one I can come back to. I checked off only 158 places that I've visited, out of 1,000 - and I thought I was well-travelled! There are actually places even in Illinois (like Nauvoo and the Frank Lloyd Wright home in Oak Park) that I haven't seen. I'm adding Macinac Island and a few spots in Louisville , KY later this summer, but I have a long way to go!
Melissa Bond
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
An adventurous read, but having already visited many of the places featured, it can sometimes seem more of an advertisement for failing tourist traps than true gems that must be on every single person's bucket list. Nevertheless, this is a great book to have when you travel, just to see something that is not so often seen. And for those who do not travel, you can clearly imagine what each place is truly like by the colorful descriptions written on each and every place.
Angel Cowgirl
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some good suggestions here, but obviously stretching to reach the 1,000 mark. So many hotels and resorts are listed that it seems like the author must have gotten some perks along the way. Irritatingly organized by region (Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, etc) rather than alphabetically by state or province.
Jasmin
This book made me reminisce and dream.

When you pick up this book and browse through it, it would make you fall in love with the places, so absolutely, that you would really want to go to them.

This is a wonderful companion book, and I'll sure to carry this on my travels. and make sure to myself that I'll travel these 1000 places before I die. :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways
  • The Smart Traveler's Passport
  • The Most Scenic Drives in America: 120 Spectacular Road Trips
  • Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die
  • 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Top 10 New York City
  • 501 Must-Visit Destinations
  • 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die
  • World Heritage Sites: A Complete Guide to 890 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
  • Italy
“Any adult with an ID can get a free “reader identification” and use the library.” 1 likes
“Texas barbecue is so good, you don’t need barbecue sauce, and some places don’t bother to serve it, believing that it distracts from the exquisite flavors.” 0 likes