Start by marking “Smashwords Book Marketing Guide” as Want to Read:
Smashwords Book Marketing Guide

Smashwords Book Marketing Guide

This free marketing primer provides authors actionable advice on how to market their books on Smashwords. It starts with an overview of how Smashwords helps promote your book, and then provides a series simple do-it-yourself marketing tips. The book is useful to all authors, even those who don't yet publish on Smashwords. Updated October 23, 2009.
Nook
Published December 22nd 2008 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Smashwords Book Marketing Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smashwords Book Marketing Guide

Start your review of Smashwords Book Marketing Guide
Tallulah A. Scribbles
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
As an avid reader, blogger, and Shelfari Librarians & Editors group member, I am often surprised how few of the tips in this e-guide have been followed by authors. Don’t just publish your book and hope that we will come. Help us find you.

I picked up "Smashwords Book Marketing Guide – How to Market any Book for Free" (Smashwords Guides) because it was free, short, and available for Kindle. [I am also a bit nosey.] This guide provides authors and publishers basic practical advice on how to market
Jerry
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-writing
Like Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success (Smashwords Guides) this is basically simple advice that’s still useful to read if you’re going to be publishing your own eBook. Some of it is so basic I can’t believe it needs to be said:

A common mistake of new self-published authors is that they publish their book without editing. All books need editing, preferably by an experienced editor.

Judging from the books I’ve read, this clearly does need to be said—and more and more, not just for self-published
Coreena McBurnie
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great free and easy to read book about marketing your book written by Smashwords founder, Mark Coker. I have yet to publish my book, but am doing so soon, so am doing research to help with the marketing. Coker's book has lots of great tips, all of them free, about how to market your book.

The first half of the book gives a bit of a history of self publishing and outlines what Smashwords does, how books are distributed. I have seen a lot of complaints that this book is just a big advert
Les
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I should have realised that this book would just be a big ad for Smashwords. The first half of the book is about how Smashwords can help you, the second half of the book is genuine tips and suggestions on how to market your book. Of the 30 or so tips two were ones that I had never thought of before so that makes reading this book completely worthwhile.
Ronda Boccio
although this book is very basic, it has some really good reminders. For example, I had started in about.Me page but pretty much forgotten about it. So I gave that a fresh lick of paint. These are things that are easy to do and are definitely important for any offer to have, so I still recommend it even for the more seasoned author. Worth the read.
Paula Puddephatt
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read the 2018 edition of this book. It contains some great information, and is recommended reading for all indie authors, particularly those who, like myself, are still very much in the early stages, in terms of their self-publishing journeys. I currently use Lulu, Draft 2 Digital, and sometimes Obooko, and am not a Smashwords author, but I still found the book helpful.
Jean Oram
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
Lots of great marketing tips from authors. A crash course (that's free!) for anyone looking to publish in any format. It's a whole new world and we need to get our work out there!
T.R. Robinson
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marketing, no matter the business or person, is always a challenge. This is even more so for independent (indie) authors who, initially at least, have never been exposed to such a world. Consequently, anything that provides quality insight into it is very welcome.

The author, Mark Coker, is the founder of Smashwords, a publishing and distribution platform he designed for the primary purpose of helping unknown, individual, independent authors. He was motivated to do this when he and his wife encou
Khalid Hajeri
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ebook authors
Nice guide to marketing your ebook, and the guide (at the time of writing) is free!

Mark Coker's book is a step-by-step guide on how to market your ebook to people. Although there are alot of points to follow, he gives enough information for readers to digest easily through casual and direct English language. He even gives plenty of suggestions on websites to join and resources to use that can help you in the marketing process.

In the latest edition, he introduces a new section in the book called
William Blackwell
If you’re an indie author, an aspiring author, or a traditionally published author, you’ll find real value in this free Smashwords Book Marketing Guide. If you’re a book publisher or a book marketer, you’ll also find some valuable book marketing ideas and insights.

Coker, who has done more for indie authors around the world than anyone else I’m aware of, serves up 65 book marketing ideas, all of them free, all of them no-nonsense, time-tested strategies. Sure, some of the tips favor Smashwords, t
Allan Walsh
Book Review – Smashwords Book Marketing Guide by Mark Coker
Smashwords Book Marketing Guide by Mark Coker is a non-fiction that covers off of marketing techniques.

The Cover: The cover is basic but professional and clearly fits the non-fiction title.

The Bad Stuff: This is an obvious Smashwords promotional tool and the tips provided really shouldn’t be anything new to the average author who has been publishing for a while.

The Good Stuff: The book is well produced and all the basic marketing tips ar
Sharon
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
There's a better than average chance that, as an author, you haven't given much thought to how to market your book. I've met several authors over time who believe that just putting a quality book out there is all that it takes; somehow, magically, your book will just sell itself.

Except, that isn't reality. The challenge for independent authors is that we have to wear all of that hats -- and that includes being your own marketing director. Even traditional publishers aren't putting much money int
Brian K. Morris
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best Free Advice You’ll Ever Get

I met Mark Coker at a book convention last year and was impressed with his knowledge of the self-publishing field. This book made me a fan.

The Smashwords Book Marketing Guide is packed with advice we all need to follow that isn’t limited to using the Smashwords platform. There’s solid guidance for getting the word out about one’s work and to build a reputation as a creator. Definitely a book to read and then dive into later to refresh the memory. Very highly r
Jane
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smashwords Book Marketing Guide has forty-one marketing tips on how to get your self-published book not only to market but promotion ideas too. It was an interesting read for any self-publishing author or for that matter for any author. With forty-one ideas it is bound to be useful to all authors to promote their books and stories. It is worth the short time it takes to read and keep for handy reference too.
Jessica Adams
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded a free ebook back in November of 2015, but I didn't get around to reading it. I didn't know what Smashwords even was, but it was free and I needed all the help I could get with marketing my children's book. It was not until a fellow author introduced me to the coupons you can create on Smashwords that I decided to read this book. I think this book is very helpful to authors trying to promote their books. It is a basic book, would be most beneficial to newly published authors.
Sameer Garach
The book has some useful information for authors, indie or traditionally published, but not much. A large amount of this book is devoted to selling Smashwords as one of the best ways to distribute your ebook by listing the virtues of the distribution platform. I still recommend reading it, but you could probably finish it in a few hours, as you could skim over the stuff you already know or don't care about.
John Watson
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a pretty complete walk through and worth the time

I’ve read about 10 books on this topic now, so I’m getting to the point where they are all blending together. However, this book does a very good job of covering the publishing process. I was hoping for a bit more on the post publishing end, but that is not to say it does not cover the basics there too. All in all I liked this book and I wish had read it earlier in my process.
Lee Rubsam
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-tutorials
I eagerly awaited Mark Coker's new edition of the Smashwords Book Marketing Guide, and have not been disappointed! Whether you distribute your e-book through Smashwords or not (and you should) this book is full of practical marketing advice. It's always free, and whether you're new to indie publishing or you've been around for some time, you will find lots of valuable tips here.
Jay Williams
Good rehash of previous work

Read the earlier version so this was just like a review of practices. He did have some updates to it and it would help if those were highlighted someway. His tips are useful and worthwhile and you can’t argue with the price (free) so every author should get this and at least skim the contents.
Wanda Luthman
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Marketing Tips

I wish I had read this book first before I published my first book. Mark Coker covers all the different aspects of marketing your book in a way that does not feel overwhelming. He is clear and honest. I highly recommend this book to new authors but my bet is seasoned authors would learn a trick or two as well.
Kenna Reed
As an introvert self-published author, this was great advice on not only why to get out and be part of the big world, but how. Will I find it easy? No. There are some tips that are scary and would force me too far outside my comfort zone. But this is about baby steps. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm about to go off and update my back-matter.
Sylvia
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful

A useful list of concrete actions you can take to market you book. Coker's advice is applicable even if you don't publish on Smashwords. He covered some channels which were new to me, including online slide presentations. Good value.
John Waaser
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great list of ways to drive sales skyward!

This book could seriously use an editor. There are missing words, maybe even a missing page? But there is plenty of really solid information here that should help you earn more money!
J.D. Spero
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, actionable tips that won’t break the bank!

Easy to read, helpful information on how to market your book. Come away with a to-do list that empowers the author. I’ve also recommend Coker’s Style Guide. Thank you!
Radhika Darbari
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read, concise 101 Marketing book - Useful to All!

Very useful concise book from Mark Coker giving a basics on your first steps in marketing. Enjoyed the read. Useful tips and examples. Recommend to anyone starting their own business or of course writing a book.
Chris Norbury
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A concise listing of tips and best practices that Coker has compiled as the founder of Smashwords.com. Solid ideas in a book that he updates and revises as needed to keep pace with ever-changing internet marketing for authors. A quick read that is worth an hour or two of your time.
Ann Venkat
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent tips

Great tips for book promotion. As more folks become self-published, it becomes harder to attract sales. This book has some good strategies to help Indie authors find success.
Kim Layton
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear and concise

Includes some ideas that I have not seen elsewhere. Easy to read format with just the right amount of detail.
Richard Lee
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolute gift to aspiring writers, especially those planning to use Smashwords as an aggregator. Great advice, fully detailed and easy to navigate. Superb!
Jeanne Harrell
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Coker does a good job of listing and explaining all aspects of digital marketing. He also updates his research regularly making sure authors get as much information as he is able to find.
« previous 1 3 next »
Creative Reviews: Smashwords Book Marketing Guide 1 3 Jun 24, 2012 07:50AM

• Five Minutes Late
  • Wind Catcher (Chosen #1)
  • Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print
  • Agincourt
  • Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • Murder in Greenwich
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
  • The Known World
  • Run! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss
  • THE UGLY DUCKLING: Stories for Kids | English Fairy Tales | Bedtime Stories
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Angelic Sigils, Keys and Calls: 142 Ways to Make Instant Contact with Angels and Archangels
  • The Master Works of Chaos Magick: Practical Techniques For Directing Your Reality
  • Magickal Protection: Defend Against Curses, Gossip, Bullies, Thieves, Demonic Forces, Violence, Threats and Psychic Attack
  • Magickal Riches: Occult Rituals For Manifesting Money
  • Arabesque: Dancing on the Edge in Los Angeles
  • Book Marketing is Dead: Book Promotion Secrets You MUST Know BEFORE You Publish Your Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Founder of Smashwords, the leading distributor of indie ebooks. Since its launch in 2008, Smashwords has helped over 30,000 authors around the world publish and distribute nearly 100,000 ebooks. Millions of readers have enjoyed the talent and creativity of Smashwords authors.

Smashwords ebooks are distributed to Apple (32 countries), Barnes & Noble, Sony, Kobo and Diesel.

Author of:

The Smashwords St

News & Interviews

“I thought if anyone could have the freedom to publish a blog post or video online, and have their work judged by their audience as opposed to a gatekeeper, then why not a book?” 0 likes
“Be the author who deserves admiration and trust.” 0 likes