Start by marking “Crocheting in Plain English: Easy-to-follow lessons in patterns, Sensible solutions to nagging problems, The only book any crocheter will ever Need.” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
At last, crocheters without the benefit of a friendly instructor can find th help they need in Crocheting in Plain English. Even if you've never held a crochet hook before, Maggie Righetti's sound instructions and encouragement will help get you startd. If youre an experienced crocheter, you'll find dozens of tips for perfecting your techniques. This comprehensive, common- ...more
Published February 15th 1988 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Crocheting in Plain English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crocheting in Plain English

Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
If you have a hankering to learn crochet, this lady's books are as good as you get.
Connie Marx
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I never really did learn how to read the graphs you always see in books the written directions were always easier. But after reading this book, I might try it, and see how it goes.
Debbie
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"Crocheting in Plain English" gives in-depth instruction on how to crochet. The author assumes you're an absolute beginner, but this book is also useful for beginners in general and people who have taught themselves to crochet.

Actually, this book almost has too much information for the absolute beginner. When I read the first few chapters, I had never bought yarn or any of the equipment. I was hoping to save time and money by getting it right the first time. I was almost overwhelmed by the depth
Story
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. So there were things about this book that I found annoying. The author's tone was overly chummy and familiar, which grated on me. I also didn't really appreciate some of the chapter titles which came from Christian idioms, such as "Your Cup Runneth Over," (increases) or "Gathering in the Flock," (decreases) or "Fishing with Your Hook in Other Waters" (other techniques). I also can't seem to hold my hook the way she tells me is right and proper.

Despite these things, I found her text lucid i
Ellen
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love to crochet and brought this book thinking it would be helpful. Alas, no. There were two things about the book that made me so angry. One was Ms Righetti's insistence that there is one and only one way to hold your crochet hook. I hold my hook like a knife, which according to the author is all wrong and should have me consigned to the circle of shame. But it works for me. Also, the author has a bad habit of beginning a stitch pattern and then telling us that we know what to do so finish it ...more
Julie Barrett
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Crocheting in Plain English
Starts out with basic things: tools and stitches. There are also tips for the advanced crocheters along with beginners.
Instructions on the stitches, yarn, patterns included. Even though I am a published crochet designer I find I learn something new.
Great reference book because it covers everything...this was an audio book, the printed version would be a lot better as you'd be able to see the pictures and charts and diagrams.
I received this book from National Library Se
I'm re-teaching myself crochet -- the "proper" way this time -- by working through this book. It's very well-written and clear! I think I'll check out the author's book on knitting too, just for curiosity.

In comparing with a few other books, I'm realizing that Maggie tells us to hold the crochet hook differently than everyone else, I think... She says always, always keep your right hand below the hook. Everyone else I've read either says to hold the hook as a pen or as a knife.
Crystal
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
I bought this book as a self-taught crocheter... My mom didn't even know all this stuff, and let me tell you, learning from her was TOUGH - not sure why, I think we speak two different languages.

This guide is SIMPLE to learn from and explains all the basics you really need if you want to move on to patterns.

I MUST if you really love crochet but want to move on from making washcloths. HA
Charlene Vickers
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some good information but it's a bit out of date even for 2008. The writer's prose style is irritating, as if she were faking familiarity.

I also don't think anyone capable of reading this very simply written book needs to be told what an even number is.
Heather
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of my few crafting books that I sat down and read through like I would any other book. It was really helpful in re-introducing me to crochet. I loved the section on crocheting left-handed.
Anne
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-how-to
This is a FANTASTIC book for beginners or experts alike! I'd been crocheting for years and years before I found this book, but its comprehensive contents still had something for me to learn. I consult it every time I start something new, and it always has a bit of insight to guide me.
MD
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care for the writing style and didn't find many interesting patterns.
Dana
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sometimes the illustrations aren't very demonstrative but the written information is detailed and I loved the author's surprising wit!
Fishface
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to, favorites, arts
This really IS the only book I have ever needed since I bought it years and years ago. It's wonderful. What more can I possibly say?
Lil' Grogan
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: handmade
For a visual learner, not as useful. Lots of chatter in a grating, condescending tone. Did glean a couple of useful tips, but the tone which she wrote in made me want to slap someone.
Tess
Mar 19, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Austentatious Crochet: 36 Contemporary Designs from the World of Jane Austen
  • Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet #15906
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Harmony Guides: Basic Crochet Stitches (The Harmony Guides)
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Blueprint Crochet
  • Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters
  • Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace
  • Folk Shawls: 25 knitting patterns and tales from around the world (Folk Knitting series)
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic  Original Patterns
  • Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • Knitting Vintage Socks