Start by marking “The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk

The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk (The Bedtime Story Books)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  269 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When Jimmy Skunk curls up to take a nap in an old barrel, the imp of mischief gets the better of Peter Rabbit. Tons of trouble plague the long-eared prankster after he decides it'd be great fun to see the barrel — with Jimmy inside — roll down from its resting point high on a hill.
Reddy Fox gets the blame for Jimmy's wild ride (as well as a dose of the skunk's "perfume");
Published May 20th 1994 by Dover Publications (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk

Jonathan Marshall
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-friendly
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Karin
my 7 yr old gave this a 5. I agree. I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned and put away in the back of my daughter
Noella  Van Looy
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Nog een verhaaltje voor het slapengaan van Burgess. Jimmy Skunk, het stinkdier, beleeft vele avonturen met zijn vrienden en medebewoners van het bos, de wei en de boomgaard.
Het leuke is dat verschillende dieren telkens terugkomen in de verhalen, zoals Peter Rabbit, Buster Bear, Billy Possum, Sammy Jay... En ook de boerderij van boer Brown en zijn bewoners speelt een rol in het leven van de dieren.
Ik hou wel van deze verhaaltjes.
John Kenworthy
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children everywhere
Recommended to John by: my father
Thornton Burgess books are guilty pleasures to be sure. I was a somewhat sickly child growing up - missing over a third of my first grade year due to bad ear infections. Like so many bedridden kids before me, I learned a love for reading and writing during those convalescent days. And much of my appreciation therein can be attributed directly to the works of Thornton Burgess. I remember with great fondness my father bringing me an armful of Burgess books from the corner library. They might have ...more
Shawn Thrasher
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do kids still read Thornton W. Burgess? I still have my beloved childhood set, with a place of honor on a bookshelf at home. My father used to occasionally read a chapter or two aloud at night. I think I developed a love and appreciation of nature and animals from Burgess. Jimmy Skunk is a standard Burgess. A teensy bit preachy, but also cute and funny too. What's interesting about Burgess is that no one is purely good or bad - all the animals have shades of dark and light. In this book, Peter R ...more
Jimyanni
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
The Thornton Burgess series in general is quite an endearing series of children's books, which do a fine job of being readable by young readers and having interesting plots and introducing young people to a variety of animals in a semi-anthropomorphized way. This particular entry, "The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk" is excellent, and it's a delightful read for a youngster, or for an older person who is willing to be a child again for the hour or so that it would take to read it. Strictly from a lite ...more
Shannon Smith
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really have no idea why, but Thornton Burgess books are just adored in my household. My 4 year old (who is easily distracted during read-alouds) is riveted by this author. We chose Jimmy Skunk after finishing up Blacky the Crow because it was $1.00 on Amazon (shipped Prime) and all the rest were $2-$3. The chapters are short and you learn a lot about the habits of the actual animals in the process of reading the narrative.
Melissa
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, juvenile
This one focused much more on Peter Rabbit for the first plot, and more on Ol' Billy Possum for the second plot than it did on Jimmy Skunk. I would have liked to learn more about skunks, but maybe there just isn't much to learn: everyone knows they're mainly nocturnal, and they spray a horrible smell when threatened. But the charm of the characters was still there, and the good lessons for children (don't play practical jokes, karma, and don't lose your temper) were present as well.
Ann
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
We read an absolute boat-load of Thornton Burgess's stories when our two children were little ... they absolutely loved these adventures. One of their favorites was this one about Jimmy Skunk. Thornton Burgess's tales are so sweetly written with enough misadventure to satisfy young appetites !!
Jessica Bartolomeo
Awesome book I loved it It was the best book I ever read!!!!!!!!!

Loved it..........just the best book ever, Jimmy skunk obviously was my favourite character,and I have a suggestion you should make a book called the adventures of Peter rabbit.
Amanda
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Was overjoyed to find the books of Burgess at Librivox.com. My favourite book as a child was The Adventures of Little Joe Otter, so it this was purely a nostalgic read/listen. This book was fun and full of hokey morals and great characters and silly situations. Great stuff.
Anna
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Love how the author puts in character lessons throughout the story of the animals. And how Farmer Brown's boy doesn't have a name, but he knows the animal's names. Hah!
Denise Kuntz
Awesome childrens story,narrator does well!
Lorelei
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
A charming story or collection of stories - not really sure what to call it. My youngest (9yo at the time) absolutely loved it.
Nana
Shelves: br
BR3-Bur
Brian
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk is one of the classics. I just re-read it to see if it's appropriate for my 3.5 yr old. Enjoyed it just as much as the first 26 times I read it.
Heidi
Dec 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
A great book to read aloud to kids! I like all the books in this series, but, this is my favourite.
Jun 09, 2014
Aug 09, 2014
Lavonne
Apr 20, 2017
  • The House Of Thirty Cats
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • The Seventh Man
  • The Grey Woman
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • Doctor Dolittle in the Moon (Doctor Dolittle, #8)
  • Fifty Famous People
  • The Window at the White Cat
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • That Affair Next Door
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • The Tale of Little Pig Robinson
  • Eve's Diary
  • Rainbow Garden
  • The Little Duke
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White