Start by marking “Mother” as Want to Read:
Mother

Mother

This is a difficult age to be a woman. The woman who aspires to raise children for the glory of God, to develop the ministry of the home, or to co-labor with her husband is deemed “old-fashioned” or “unfulfilled.” The modern lure of independence and career has bewitched an entire generation to exchange the beauty of Christian womanhood for the temporary enticements of a so ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Vision Forum (first published 1911)

Kristin
Mother is a short novel with a weighty message. Although written in 1911, the message is just as apropos for today's readers--perhaps even more so. Margaret Paget longs for a glamorous life beyond what she knows in smalltown Weston. So when the opportunity serendipitously arises for her to become a secretary for a New York City socialite, she packs her bags and ventures out into the world. The longer she spends with denizens of wealthy, upper-class New York, the more that Margaret begins to despise th ...more
Dorcas
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a very light but pleasant read about a young woman who is disillusioned with her lot in life (one of seven children in a small rundown house in a small rundown town) and longs for the "real life" of pleasure and ease.

By coincidence she meets a high society lady who offers her a job as a private secretary in the woman's NY family mansion. She finally experiences life as she imagined it. But is it all it's chalked up to be? And what happens when your beau finds out your true or
Vivian
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Five stars? Really? Let me 'splain. Five stars, for me, means it went to my heart and or my mind.

In a mere 198 pages of delightful easy reading we follow young Margaret, a prototype for any young woman of her day (and surprisingly our day too)on a journey of self-discovery. Published in 1911, I couldn't help picturing my own grandmother possibly reading this very book. She would have been exactly Margaret's age and she might have shared this young woman's concerns, desires, and prejudices.
Faith
Read for school. Very good, but the old grammar style did bother me. :P
Poiema
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vintage-novels
This charming little antique volume is unabashedly moralistic, yet strangely moving. The siren song of wealth and pleasure calls a young woman away from the small town in which she feels stifled, and the large, raucous family life that seems so mundane. Her fortunes change when she is offered a job as personal assistant to a wealthy New Yorker, and Margaret fully embraces her new life that includes perks such as travel, sumptuous food, and a fashionable wardrobe. The slow drift away from her cor ...more
Sara
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a very sweet book and I am quite glad to have read it.

I've given it a low rating only because it is not an example of high-caliber writing. It feels a little muddled and the conclusion is quite predictable in an unsatisfying way. It is also very heavy on the sermonizing.

It is a thin and unimpressive version of a Louisa May Alcott story.

However, the principles in this book and the tenderheartedness of it, are rapidly disappearing in our culture. I wish
Esther
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-reads
I think this is probably one of the best books I have read. It is so refreshing to read. About a girl with 7 siblings who lives in a small country town and works as a teacher. She then gets a job in a big city with a rich employer. While she is there, she listens to the "rich" peoples' conversations about how having so many children is such a burden. She, herself, starts wondering how her mother can be so content with housework, children, etc. The ending is wonderful and this book is a must rea ...more
Lisa
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for "Today's Daughters". Our culture bombards women and undermines a parents hard work to help a daughter follow biblical roles. This is a very insightful book bringing daughters to an awareness of the beautiful calling of womanhood.
Nicole
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this story. So sweet. So simple. And such a good reminder to "Be still" and to "Wait Patiently"
Hannah
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although I do not agree with some of the author's viewpoints in her other books, I loved this. It was clean and had a wonderful ending! I would recommend this to anyone.
Julia
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very sweet book about a small town girl from a happy family of 7 children, who unexpectedly earns a position with one of the finest ladies in New York, City. She becomes enamored with the lifestyle of the wealthy women she mingles with, and is embarrassed to have a young man she likes see her crowded, bustling home and family.
Amy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Hailey Rose
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story, very enjoyable.
Angie Thompson
For a book written in 1911, this felt surprisingly modern! Although the arguments against having children (or a lot of children) have changed a bit in the details, the core of them sounds very familiar--too expensive, too much trouble, life isn't as simple as it used to be... And Margaret's startling realization that she would never have been born if her mother had stopped at two children sounds an even more sober note in today's world.

Although the end of the book moved both a bit fa
Rachel
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe this book is so OLD (first published in 1911)! The issues in it are so current. It has to do with a young woman who wants to have things and go places and doesn't want to ever be tied down like her mother. As the story goes she realizes what really matters. It is really short. The copy I have is only 90 pages but it was a good reminder of what is most important. I could relate in so many ways to her journey. Perfect little read around Mother's day.
Kristen Vogel
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story and tribute to Mothers everywhere. And a nice love story to go with it. A girl grows up wanting to get away from her meager home and lead a rich and exciting life. She is given the opportunity and finds out that home and mother is where the heart is.
Alicia
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alicia by: Mandy
What a hidden gem! This 1911 novella is a wonderful tribute to the sacrifice (and importance) of mothers. 21-year-old Margaret leaves her large family and small town to live an exciting life in NYC. But she ends up realizing that she would rather have the life her mother has (as a dedicated, loving wife and mother), not the shallow big-city social life. I love this author, who was a very well-known writer 100 years ago. Even President Teddy Roosevelt praised this book and author.

Quot
Nickie
May 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Nickie by: Jenny S.
I finished this little treasure while visiting our first and hopefully our last resort.

The key point is this: There are many within the world due to poverty or in the case of this story, wealth, who make the choice to not have children because of the added expenses. Such as the author says; nurses, additional maids, larger homes, meals for the additional help etc... Well in the midst of the rich not wanting children, there is the Paget family who have 8 children. Are struggling to survive and r
momma.hailey
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a light and joyful read. Throughout reading I reflected on myself as mother....the kind of mother I am and want to be....and the ways I want my children to remember me. I also felt myself relating to the main character, as I too remember having feeling like she did during that life stage. This will be a lovely book to share with my daughters, and I'm thankful my reading partner Karen selected this book for us!
Duane
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet. This story is more about Margaret the daughter than it is about Mother. An old-fashioned tale about how being a full time loving mother can have such a positive impact on your children. It returns love, devotion, and respect and produces happy and appreciative children. At least that's what happens in this story.
Jane
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I hope that someday my children will feel the same way about me. I feel this way about my own mother who made great sacrifices to bless my life. The last few pages of the book sum it all up for me! It expresses better than I could, the joy of mothering that only a mother knows!
Kara
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this quick read! What a great reminder of the importance of the high-calling we call motherhood. There are few things in this life greater than the tender, loving care of a devoted mother. This book is a beautiful reminder of the blessing of "Mother."
Rachel Yoder
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story.
Celestia
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely story! You can read it in an afternoon. The ending will make you smile!
Donnell
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I read the 1946 version (not yet pictured.)

As I am a bit of a Kathleen Norris historian, I was very excited to find this book, heir first, in excellent condition with dust jacket, at my local library's monthly book sale. As an extra treat, the book included a sixteen page intro by her husband in which he explains how his wife began writing and publishing.

Interesting how the rich women in this story--living in the years 1910-1911--view having children with a 2016 sensibility: children can get i
Eskana
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had never heard of this book before... it just caught my eye and I added it to my long list of to-read. But I'm really glad I picked it up- "Mother" turned out to be quite a classic, discussing a point that many people write off as old-fashioned, even as though in the book do the same thing.

Margaret is a young woman working in as a teacher in her small hometown outside New York. She lives with her family, but as she sees her colleagues and friends getting married and settling down,
Melissa Lay
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet, quick read.
Becky
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. The message is one I would have written if I were writing a similar book--one that glorifies the life of mother-hood and promotes the idea that children are a gift not a burden. It is a message I feel is sadly forgotten today but very much needed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Larissa
Good reminder for mothers and also women who have any desire to marry, that a woman has a very high calling as a wife and mother. A life of service and self denile will follow, rarely will you eat a hot meal or see a totally clean house. Often the things you do will seem as drudgery, even to those around you, but at the end of your life you would have invested in the lives of others. When you are gone the life of loving sacrifice that you lived will speak more loudly to your children than all th ...more
Rose
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
This book was recommended to me by Good Reads based on its similarity to other books I like. A young woman in the early 1900s is tempted by worldly values but comes to realize that she prefers the honest and simple lifestyle exemplified by her own mother. While I appreciated the theme, the writing style was a disappointment. Peppered with adjectives and adverbs, loaded with commas and odd wording; the prose was stilted and awkward.

If you're looking for a well-written old-fashioned st
« previous 1 3 next »
Mother... 1 27 Nov 09, 2008 04:36PM

• A Garland for Girls
  • Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • Carney's House Party (Deep Valley, #1)
  • Clover
  • That Printer of Udell's
  • So Much More
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • Home-Making
  • Beautiful Girlhood
  • The Substitute Guest
  • The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan
  • Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill, #2)
  • The Lamplighter
  • A Vision of Lucy (A Rocky Creek Romance, #3)
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
Educated at the University of California, Kathleen married Charles Norris, brother of the author Frank Norris, in 1909. She was a prolific author, producing over 80 novels in addition to numerous short stories and articles. Norris was a regular contributor to leading magazines such as Atlantic and Ladies' Home Journal. Her first novel, Lost Sunrise, appeared in 1909 and was immediately popular. By the end ...more
“Good and bad, he was taken for granted; she was much more lenient to him than to any of the children. She welcomed the fast-coming babies as gifts from God, marvelled over their tiny perfectness, dreamed over the soft relaxed little forms with a heart almost” 0 likes
“She secretly regarded her children as marvellous, even while she laughed down their youthful conceit and punished their naughtiness.” 0 likes