Start by marking “The Night of the Eleventh Sun” as Want to Read:
The Night of the Eleventh Sun

Read Book* *Different edition

The Night of the Eleventh Sun

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The fossil record is unclear. Did Neanderthal speak? Did he laugh, have music, feel love? Did he interact with Homo sapiens or get killed by him in mortal combat or get pushed to extinction on less marginal lands? This book answers some of those questions in a strongly researched fictional setting.
Published by Authors Choice Press (first published June 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Night of the Eleventh Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night of the Eleventh Sun

Danielle Urban
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Night of the Eleventh Sun by Steven Burgauer is a fascinating tale. Takes readers deep into the prehistoric ages. The cavemen. Reading these pages, I got a glimpse into the lives of these cavemen and their cultures. The reality of life and hardships was realistic. I felt like I was watching versus reading the words. Steven Burgauer has a way of breathing life onto his pages. His characters are three-dimensional. Clans and their order of living, eating, as well as relationships were stunning. ...more
Allen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most refreshing story of this era. Shows the struggle to survive and how hard life changes the dynamics of a group. This has been far more entertaining than the Clan of the cave bear.
This is one book I have already recomended to friends
Steven Burgauer
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
“A powerful, entertaining and thought-provoking novel, The Night of the Eleventh Sun, is a clear indication of Burgauer’s ability to bring a distinctive voice to multiple genres. Deserving of a broad readership it is highly recommended.”
— BookViral, January 6, 2017

4 stars out of 5

“ . . . the author has quite cleverly interweaved his narrative with a science lens to help us make sense of the Neanderthal’s actions . . . so the tag of science fiction/fantasy stands in this enjoyable tale.”
— Decemb
Boundless Book Reviews
I have to admit, when I choose this book, I was expecting a boring research book full of statistics and terminology I wouldn’t understand. I was so wrong! I was pleasantly surprised, The Night of the Eleventh Sun everything but boring.

Steven Burgauer writes for the “whole reader;” readers will become completely immersed in this book. I felt the hardship, joy, struggles; every emotion possible. The clan jumped from the pages and became more like family, than characters in a book. The ending lef
Bill Thibadeau
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different type of textbook - in a good way.

I didn't know what to expect when I started to read this book. The title is a bit mysterious so I was expecting a thriller or mystery. I could not have been more wrong.

This book is a comparative look at modern human and the Neanderthals. The parallels are experienced by experiencing life as a Neanderthal. You will be able to understand the limitations of the cave dwellers but also see them as well developed for there time. This book takes place during
Diana
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked reading this book. It gives you a glimpse of what it would have been like back in the time of the Neanderthal. I just wish it would have been a longer book, it ended too soon. I received this book through Goodreads Giveaways.
Helen
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Current human behaviours can be seen in the days when Neanderthals lived. The reader is placed into a setting when one hunts to survive, fights for a love one and bonds as a family. Strong Arms, leader of the clan, is responsible to keep all members safe. If one clan member misbehaves, Strong Arms takes action - just like a leader would today. Even though this book is fiction, Steven Burgauer did his research and wrote in facts about living during this period. This makes the story more real.
Carl Johansen
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting novel, set at the time when Neanderthals were near extinction and fighting for survival against the species that would supplant them in the world. The author obviously did extensive research on this period of prehistory, and so his speculations about their life seem very plausible. The novel brings to life the brutal, yet very human existence of a species fighting for survival against a more intelligent species.
Cassandra
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy.

Covering an era most people have not thought to give a care about in everyday life, this books captured a time and place while adding so much more. The author gives you the chance to go back and find things you might never have found while bringing a story that will appeal to anyone who likes the topic.
Nancy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, goodreads
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
This is good for speculative historical fiction (if you can call it that). I don't think that Neanderthals were as intellectually advanced as portrayed here but there is no way anyone can know for sure.
Denis Mcgrath
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Strong Arm” emerges from the shadow land of Pre-History as the author adds sinew, blood and bone to Neanderthal man and brings to life the struggle of Strong Arm’s clan, the testing of their skills and mores in a harsh environment, and competition from more advanced hominids. At the end when Strong Arm appears to be the only survivor of his decimated clan, hope appears at the entrance of his cave. A good read with a flowing narrative backed by reference material. This is just the book to read b ...more
Cat
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this story! Sort of reminds me of Clan of the Cave Bear way back in the 70's. Well researched and entertaining! Love the characters, so well developed. And the setting, the stone age, was wonderful.Good read!
Jill
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Strong Arms is responsible for taking care of the clan and making sure that the women have mates. There is a preoccupation with sex illustrated with sometimes-graphic scenes. Much of the discussion about disease and germs did not fit the period.
Ruth
Dec 08, 2016
Bonnie
May 02, 2017
Steven Burgauer
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Eva
Roxanne
Penny
Michael Chance
Steven Burgauer, Biography

Avid hiker, Eagle Scout, and founder of a mutual fund, Steven Burgauer resides in Florida. A graduate of Illinois State University and the New York Institute of Finance, Steve writes science fiction and historic fiction. A member of the Society of Midland Authors, Steven is included in The Dictionary of Midwestern Literature, Volume 2: Dimensions of the Midwestern Literar
More about Steven Burgauer...