Jump to ratings and reviews

Seasons of Our Joy: A Modern Guide to the Jewish Holidays

Circling the Jewish calendar from Rosh Hashanah to Tisha B'Av, this lively, accessible guide includes rituals, recipes, songs, prayers, and suggestions for new approaches to holiday observance.

272 pages, Paperback

Arthur Ocean Waskow

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (2%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews
Profile Image for Cassidy.
49 reviews2 followers
November 12, 2021
Answers all the “why” questions — plus all the where and when and who and what. A joy to read. I know I’ll be referencing it for the rest of my days.
Profile Image for Melissa Penn.
20 reviews
April 27, 2018
My partner gave me this book. It has added much flavor and ease to our holiday celebrations. The wisdom of "why" pervades the text - and rekindles the flame of desire to have a meaningful life through ritual - as relevant now as when they were written in the Torah.
Profile Image for Claude Smith-Kenny.
22 reviews1 follower
December 13, 2020
Wow. In love with this book. Waskow explains the Jewish holidays from many perspectives, most interestingly the perspective of their relationship with the solar-lunar cycle of the Jewish calendar. He touches on the history of all the holidays, and the various conflicts and changes among them. Cannot recommend this book enough to any Jewish person wanting to get a deeper sense of connection with our holidays.
Profile Image for Sara.
878 reviews4 followers
July 5, 2020
Bought this when I was studying for conversion, though I converted a Orthodox & Waskow is a Reconstructionist. Still, these are interesting writings on the holidays and what they mean to us now, as modern Jews.
Profile Image for Ezri K.
254 reviews4 followers
July 21, 2014
An introduction to the Jewish holidays and their development. Though not a fast read it is still interesting. In the intro of each holiday is gives how they come about, the source of the traditions done to celebrate them, their development, common readings for the days, recipes to fit the celebration, and more. A book I would recommend to any interested in learning about the holidays and better understand the practices used to celebrate them. The material is such that it doesn't treat the reader as though they are completely clueless and devoid of thought, but still gives the information without the assumption of former knowledge.
Profile Image for Lynnnadeau.
68 reviews3 followers
March 25, 2009
I go back to this book again and again as I go through the Jewish holidays to pull more meaning from each seasonal event.
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.