Start by marking “The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)

The Bone House

(Cab Bolton #1)

Hilary and Mark Bradley are trapped in a web of suspicion. Last year, accusations of a torrid affair with a student cost Mark his teaching job and made the young couple into outcasts in their remote island town off the Lake Michigan coast. Now another teenage girl is found dead on a deserted beach. . . and once again, Mark faces a hostile town convinced of his guilt.

Hilary
Published March 29th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bone House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone House

Start your review of The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)
Gary
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
This book had everything I like in a mystery. The characters were well developed and likable. Mark is a teacher that has lost his job due to accusations of an inappropriate affair with a student. His wife still teaches at the same small town school that Mark did. Being in a small Minnesota town myself and in the field of education, I can imagine the consequences of it. Although Mark is innocent, no one believes him.

When another student turns up dead everything goes from bad to worse. At times,
Michael Burton
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great Book! The characters were very well developed and drove the story. I have to be honest, when I began the book, it sounded like your typical run-of-the-mill whodunit...not this book. It had many twists and turns. Just when I thought I knew what was going on, the storyline went another way. It was very hard to put the book down.

This is the first book of Mr. Freeman's I have read and it certainly won't be the last.
Fmilt
Mar 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book has so many people doing so many things that no one with a lick of common sense would do that it ruins the book for me. If you can suspend disbelief, the book is well written and could be enjoyed. However there are so many instances in the book where supposedly very bright and able people exhibit no common sense that it insults the reader's intelligence if they take the time to think about it. Big spoiler alert, but this major plot turn just blew my mind and spoiled the book.

This is
✨Susan✨
A good mystery with many suspects. When a young girl is killed there is an automatic pointing of fingers at one man. Throughout the book he seems like a likable victim, or is he. I kept going back and forth. The flawed detective makes the story interesting and in the end, beyond anyone's expectations, does solve the crime. Maybe a fun series for a buddy read.
Kelly
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I loved this first book in the Cab Bolton series. It was fast paced with short chapters, interesting characters and an ending I did not see coming.
Jim
Dec 27, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to rate this & will probably try more books in the series, but this one is not for me. The situation is too real & shitty. A girl's fantasies in a journal on her computer are discovered by her mother & that leads to small town public condemnation of an excellent teacher. He's fired, never convicted, & things go downhill from there as another situation crops up.

Trial by the ignorant public just pisses me off to no end. There was a local guy who had his name plastered
Brenda
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of people and events in this book. They were all nicely tangled until the end. I like it when a book keeps me guessing, makes me doubt certain characters, and pulls me into the story like I was there. Of course, if I had been there, I'd have yelled at some people for doing stupid things, yelled at others for not speaking up, and yelled at still others for jumping to wrong conclusions. How easy it is to ruin the lives of innocent people.
Beth
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Awesome book but I honestly don't get why Kate called Hilary to go with her to Jenson's house near the end it doesn't make sense or fit in really or more to the point it's like the author was trying to force the characters to fit.
Kristin
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I wanted to like this book ('read' it on audio). I really did. It started out strong; the plot pulls a person in...and then I completely lost interest in 2/3 of the characters. I couldn't empathize/care/give a shit about any of them. I got tired of the flashbacks. I grew annoyed with the chronic stupidity - it was a lot like watching the proverbial horror flick and shouting at the screen "NO! Don't open THAT door!".

So, on one hand, Freeman does a very good job of hooking your emotions and
Paul Pessolano
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
"The Bone House" is the best mystery that Brian Freema has put together since his debut novel, "Immoral". Both stories have every element of a mystery/thriller that one could possiby imagine, and both will keep the reader guessin as to the outcome until the very end.

Mark Brady is a high school teacher in a small communty around Lake Michigan. He is accused having an affair with one of his students. Although nothing can be proven and the girl insists that nothing happened between them, he is
Suspense Magazine
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a psychological thriller done by someone who knows how to write one. While basically a story of a man and wife, the plot bleeds out to include a detective and and CSI analyst, some troubled teenagers, and a terrible tragedy from the past. The tragedy, portrayed in the breathtaking prologue, reaches lethal tentacles into the future and threatens almost everyone involved.
Mark Bradley is having a tough time. He and his wife, Hillary, moved to an idyllic island in rural Door County, northern
Misty
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
The main plot of this book interested me and that is why I picked it up. Only a few pages into it I realized my mistake. The characters were predictable and stereotypical. Every twist and turn I saw coming 50 pages ahead. I will not be reading another one of Brian Freeman's books.
Andy
Oct 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why?
Linda Strong
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I was a little hesitant when I first picked this book up. I've followed Brian Freeman for several years and fell in love with his Jonathan Stride series. I just could not imagine a new series that would draw me in as quickly as the other. Boy! Was I wrong!

Cab Bolton is a terrific character. He's rich, thanks to his actress mother, which usually puts him at odds with his fellow detectives. He's got some personal issues with trust, and even though he's attracted to his partner, he keeps pushing
The Behrg
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
First, let me say I'm a big Freeman fan. Second, that there are a whole lot of people who obviously loved this book, giving it outstanding ratings. I just wasn't one of them.

The premise of this story revolves around a murder mystery with a cast of characters that include a husband and wife who happened to be at the location where the murder took place. Add to it the fact that the husband lost his job because of a scandal with that girl's sister at school (he's a teacher) and you've got your
Magpie67
A classic Shakespearean tragedy. What if Glory was never at the scene of the fire, and Harris got help for his family? A snowball of sin and deception packed with revenge and mental illness. Throw in a couple not from the area and an innocent event... transfers evil and a path of no return. Small town people with suspicious minds, a creepy pedophile and a corrupt good ol boy sheriff. Secrets have a way of catching up even if they are hidden away with a key or the trauma of the mind.

Can't wait
Perri
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2014
The best thriller I've read in a long time. The pacing's great-each chapter ends in a cliff hanger with the suspense building. As we slowly get to know the characters, the good guys show cracks, some bad ones become sympathetic-like real life we find complexity in people. The ferry served island with its idiosyncratic people and culture really resonated with me.
Gina
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery, crime, and police procedural readers.
Recommended to Gina by: Book Club
I always love a good mystery read and this is the first time I have read this author. The book started out a little slow butafter the first few chapters it really sped up. I love the cliff hangers at the end of the chapters. The characters were well rounded and I felt like I knew them all. I loved the setting in the story when it moved to Wisconsin. I actually looked on a map to see where this beautiful setting is and it actually looks like a wonderful place to live. The lonliness and sparse ...more
Stefanie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. I decided to start qualifying the stars I give a book with decimal points. Not to be annoying but to be clear. I rarely rate a book a 5 but I regularly use the 4, and that's because I include a pretty long range of books that I considered above average -really good for different reasons. I'm trying to get better about writing reviews since I rely so much on them.
That said this book was really enjoyable I have read all but one book in Brian Freemans other series set in Duluth
Marian
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Hilary Bradley is determined to prove that Mark is innocent, but she’s on a lonely, dangerous quest. Even when she discovers that
Robert
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
This is a good suspense book with a few twists thrown at the reader at the very end of the book. The engine gets started at the very beginning but you will have to wait until about two thirds of the way into the book for the transmission to shift into drive. The first part of the book is mostly the history behind the whole enchilada and character building. Then the reader can start getting into the good stuff. Some of the twists that seemed as if they were supposed to be a real surprise were a ...more
Lindsay
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am always astonished when authors have their characters do things that are just plain stupid (Spoiler alert) for instance, someone tries to kill you so the next thing you do is go off to a totally deserted area by yourself. Or you think something bad/tragic is going to happen to someone so you HOP IN THE CAR and go off to stop it. Use a phone people!!! Phone the police!!!
Also, the damaged by life and unable to have healthy relationship cop is such an old saw. And yet this book is quite
Mervat
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing. I couldn't put the book down until i reached the last page.
Fran
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Bone House
Author: Brian Freeman

Acts of kindness are meant to help others. But, when Glory Fischer enters the garage with her special package in hand, finding her friend and hoping to provide protection not only for the kitten she so wants to protect but hope to keep him safe from harm. Mr. Bone keeps the key under the window ledge of the garage. The night is hot, the heat is unbearable and the garage not a place anyone should be. A pickup truck with a filthy covering and a wooden ladder are
Keri
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book for a challenge and really enjoyed it. I was listening and got so hooked into the mystery I tried to get the physical book so I could keep reading when I couldn’t listen. Mark and Hillary Bradley were characters I wanted to root for and while some of the others were pretty crazy, they were interesting and added to the story.

There were some points where characters acted in semi-unbelievable and ridiculous ways, which got annoying, but small towns are often projected
Albert Riehle
3.5 stars. Good book, good characters, an excellent look at how the perception of guilt can cloud the judgement of people and how quick people are to be judge and jury...and the hell that can fall on the innocent as a result.

Not the best Freeman book I've read but then again, he sets a high standard for himself to live up to but still, I'm happy to recommend it. Its a good read.
Cathy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cab Bolton character is also in Alter Ego & Season of Fear
Paige Shelton
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this one and enjoyed the story. Really enjoyed the detective, Cab (as in "I was born in one." LOL). I see this is the first in a series, and I'll look into others.
Michele
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a twisted tale. I thought I figured it out and then there would be a surprise twist that I didn’t see coming. A great story and read.
Dre McDermott
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this author and will definitely pick up more. Authentic characters, plenty of mystery and lots of twists and turns.

• Like to Die (Mac McKenzie, #15)
  • Dead Man's Mistress (Mac McKenzie, #16)
  • Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • The Stolen Ones (Stevens & Windermere, #4)
  • Dead Boyfriends (Mac McKenzie, #4)
  • Practice to Deceive (Holland Taylor, #2)
  • Darkness, Sing Me a Song (Holland Taylor, #4)
  • Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)
  • Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie, #8)
  • Penance (Holland Taylor, #1)
  • Dark Tides
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)
  • What the Dead Leave Behind (Mac McKenzie, #14)
  • Stealing the Countess (Mac McKenzie, #13)
  • First, Kill the Lawyers: A Holland Taylor Mystery
  • Dearly Departed (Holland Taylor, #3)
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots. Brian has also been selected as the official author to continue Robert Ludlum's Jason ...more

Cab Bolton (2 books)
  • Season of Fear (Cab Bolton, #2)