Start by marking “The Quick and the Thread” as Want to Read:
The Quick and the Thread

The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  2,061 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
First in a new mystery series that will have readers stitching-and itching for more
When Marcy Singer opens an embroidery specialty shop in quaint Tallulah Falls, Oregon, she throws a soiree and a Stitch-In. Soon, Marcy's sign- up sheet for embroidery classes fills up and everyone in town seems willing to raise a glass-or a needle-to support the newly-opened Seven Year St
Published August 1st 2010 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about The Quick and the Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quick and the Thread

Heather L
Aug 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather L by: Kaye
Shelves: mystery, 2010
A good story. I liked the locale and characters, and especially the setting of a needlecrafts shop. I really wanted to give it four stars. The biggest reason for downgrading it is this: if an author is going to write a series centered around a craft, especially one she professes to have done, then she ought to be able to get the little details right.

Several times throughout the book, the author incorrectly refered to a 3/4 stitch as a half stitch. They are not the same thing. Anyone who does co
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the embroidery mysteries with Marcy Singer set in Oregan in the USA. Marcy has just moved to a small town with Angus O'Ruff, her Irish Wolfhound and opened a new sewing store, The Seven Year Stitch. The previous owner of the premises crashes her grand opening party; he is drunk and kept telling Marcy he had something to tell her – because he is drunk she keeps avoiding him, but the next morning she finds him dead in her storeroom. Before his death he had scratched a mes ...more
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So far I'm not really enjoying this book...I find the main character's life unbelievable. She decides she wants to move across the country and open a store, okay, she decides she needs a new car to drive up and down the coast, ok, she decides she needs to rent/buy a house, ok... Opening a shop is expensive (especially in the three months out of the blue she manages to do it in), never mind moving fees, buying stock, add onto that a new car and new residence, and I am wondering where her money is ...more
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Starry Up
Unfortunately this book just really wasn't for me. To be fair - I did only read this because it was an online book club choice, so its possible that I'm simply not the target market.

The novel is written in first person by Marcy, an accountant who's just set up a brand new needlework shop as the story begins. Before you know it someone turns up dead, and Marcy takes it upon herself to solve the case.

The problem is, Marcy isn't very interesting or engaging, it's very hard to believe that she wou
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perché ho aspettato così tanto a iniziare questa serie? Eppure il suo tema di base, il ricamo, mi piace! Anche se, per ora, mi limito a punto croce e mezzo punto... Confesso che più volte, leggendo dei vari progetti, mi prudevano le manine e avrei voluto prendere ago e filo. Però, volevo ricamare e continuare a leggere nello stesso momento: una cosa impossibile da fare!
Questo è stato uno dei rari casi in cui fin dalla prima pagina mi sono detta "questo libro mi piace!". Non so cosa sia ad avermi
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the embroidery mysteries with Marcy Singer in Tallaluh Falls, Oregan. Marcy has just revamped her new store, The Seven Year Stitch, and has planned a gala opening. The old owner of her store's spot used to run a hardware store there. He crashed her party, drunk and making strange claims, and by the next day he was found dead in the store's storage area. Did he die naturally from drinking, or were his scratchings on the wall a clue to his murder?

This was an especially f
Judy Iliff
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a nice story. Nothing over the top or unbelievable. The setting is Oregan where Maggie has just opened her dream sop - a crounted cross stitch and needlework shop. Unfortunately, within the first two days of her grand opening, two men who came into the shop, each on a different day, are found dead.

Maggie's character isn't one of tons who decdes to do whatever because a man told her not to.

The storyline is character driven, and the explanations of the variou cross stitch project makes me wan
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
Great first book in the series! I liked the characters and the setting. The mystery was good and it felt like I suspected just about everyone at some point. Can't wait to read the next book!
Janice Aitkens
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this on the Kindle

I found this by accident it a nice book if your on the kindle do a search for Cosy Mysteries you can even find free ones

This is about Marcy who opens an ebroidery shop the previous tentant is found dead in her store room then the landlord is shot

This is a very easy reading if you like gritty style murder mysteries then this isn't but if you want something nice & easy to read which will make you smile at least then this is a nice one to read

I didn't want dark murder
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
Text Addict
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oregon
So the first question in my mind was: Does the world need another needlecraft-based cozy series when Monica Ferris is still writing? The answer is, Sure. They aren't all that much alike. Marcy Singer, the protagonist of this one, opened her needlework shop because she wanted to ditch her accountant career. Her mom is a movie-industry costume designer (present only on the phone in this book). And the mystery doesn't focus on any obscure types of needlework, fabric, or yarn.

So it's a good mystery
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
The Quick and the Thread is the first book of An Embroidery Mystery series. Marcy Singer leaves San Francisco for Tallulah Falls, Oregon to pursue her dream of owning her own embroidery shop The Seven Year-Stitch. Her best friend and former college roommate, Sadie and her husband Blake, also reside there. The couple owns MacKenzies’ Mochas, which is conveniently located next door to Marcy’s shop.

The night of her open house, former tenant Tim Enright crashes the party and is determined to speak w
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good first book in a new series. I liked the characters...I even liked including Angus the Irish Wolfhound being frequently mentioned. And for a person who's done a great deal of needlecraft in the past, I enjoyed the setting and the vivid details of the Marcy's shop. (There are a couple of stitch related errors but if you haven't cross-stitched, you'd never catch them).

The personalities of the characters are fairly well developed as is the mystery, and there are plenty of twists and turn
Julie P
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cozy, crafty mysteries are really becoming quite commonplace, so it is hard to find one that really stands out from all the rest. Amanda Lee's _The Quick and the Thread_ is definitely above average, and is worth a look. In an easy read, Lee's heroine, Marcy Singer, comes across as likable and not overly "cute" and perfect, like characters seen in other books. She may have flaws, but really she is an innocent abroad, if by abroad we mean moving from San Francisco to Oregon. Marcy fulfills her dre ...more
Dharia Scarab
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
What's the covers for these? It's just so cozy and draws you in, wanting you to read it.

Anyway, another new cozy I think I might like. This was one of many cozies I was thinking about reading.

And it was a pretty good read. The characters are interesting, the setting I like, the tone and pacing was good. Already want the next book to read what will the characters get up to next. The writing was also good.

Of course with cozies there's the food descriptions, yum worthy obviously. Also, whether its
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cozies are a balm. Especially ones that have a mellow premise like this. Marcy opens her dream shop, Seven Year Stitch, an embroidery specialty shop. Opening night is good, but there's a dead body found in the storeroom the next morning. Everyone is a suspect and Marcy's dream store is a crime scene and closed for business for the time being. This leads Marcy to investigate on her own.
The setting is tranquil, not too cutesy. The premise is super, making me want to take up my embroidery hoop agai
Georgiann Hennelly
Marcy Throws a soiree for the grand opening of her shop The Seven Year Stitch. But the morning after the party Marcy and Angus her Dog find a nasty surprise. The Man who had rented the shop before her is lying dead in her store room with a message scratched by a tapestry needle on the wall next to him. Now her shop is a crime scene and she is a murder suspect. Marcy decides to get to the bottom of the Murder herself because it looks like someone is intent on putting a final stitch in her.
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I loved this book! I was amazed a the way the author created such great characters and Angus was just adorable! The plot was smart and well crafted, even though I had the killer's identity toward the end of the book, but of course this didn't spoil the fun for me.I' m now waiting for the next installment which will be out on February 1st.
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting
This was a cute mystery about a girl moving to a new town (in Oregon) and opening an embroidery shop. The characters were good and the amount of stitching completed was impressive. This is the first in this series and I would definitely read more of them. One of the romantic interests in the story is a man named Todd who owns a brewpub--how can I resist that?
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, especially the main character. I look forward to continuing the series.
Jennifer Hein
Cute book! I will probably read more from this series.
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun enjoyable read. God pacing, consistent characters. Delightful.
Diane Mihelich
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all Amanda Lee's Embroidery Mysteries to date. Just finished her most recent one "The Stitching Hour" Can't wait until her next one.
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Best cozy mystery I have read but I think it will be my last, they are not for me. It was amusing and I enjoyed the characters and plot but I wanted more suspense.
Anita Roberts
It was a great book!!!
Cayleigh Stickler
The actual rating would be closer to 3.5 stars, but I round up.

This is such a darling cozy mystery. It follows all the cozy rules - has a murder but it's off-stage, and someone besides a detective solves the crime. What was unique was that it featured a dog - as opposed to a cat - sidekick. Cozies, for me, are literary palate cleansers. I usually read them in between heavy literary books or if I'm planning to change genres (for example: going from Stephen King to middle-grade fiction). I ended u
Alton Motobu
All elements in formulaic romantic mystery are here: single 20ish female, after breaking up with old boyfriend, leaves fast lane in big city to run a small retail business in rural town, meets two attractive male suitors, one is always a cop, and encounters criminal activities, including adultery, conspiracy and murder. In this case Marcy Springer quits her job as an accountant on the fast track in San Francisco, goes to coastal Oregon town to run an embroidery shop, meets Todd, a bar owner, and ...more
  • Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1)
  • Hooked on Murder (Crochet Mystery, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Grace Under Pressure (Manor House Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)

Amanda Lee is a pseudonym of Gayle Trent.

* Embroidery Mystery

(from Gayle Trent's webpage)

"Thank you so much for stopping by my site!

I live in Southwest Virginia with my husband and two beautiful children, a boy and a girl. I’m a full-time writer/editor/mom/wife and chief cook and bottle washer, and I lov
More about Amanda Lee...

An Embroidery Mystery (10 books)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4)
  • Thread on Arrival (An Embroidery Mystery, #5)
  • Cross Stitch Before Dying (An Embroidery Mystery, #6)
  • Thread End (An Embroidery Mystery, #7)
  • Wicked Stitch (Embroidery Mystery, #8)
  • The Stitching Hour (Embroidery Mystery, #9)
  • Better Off Thread (An Embroidery Mystery #10)