Start by marking “The Golden Cup” as Want to Read:
The Golden Cup

The Golden Cup

(Werner Family Saga #2)

In this magnificent return to the world of Evergreen, Henrietta Roth, an extraordinary woman, fights to control her destiny; and three turbulent generations come vividly to life against a background of immigrant struggle, war, and passion.
Published September 1st 1987 by Dell (first published September 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Cup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Cup

Donna
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
The Golden Cup tells the story of star-crossed lovers Paul and Anna, who were introduced in the Evergreen series. It is also the story of Henrietta De Rivera, who married Dan Roth. She was a suffragette and a fighter for social justice. Hennie, as she is called, and Dan have a temptestuous marriage. This is the world of the Jewish immigrant, political fervor and the horror of impending war. Hennie and Dan have a passion to change the world and a greater passion for each other. They suffer heartb ...more
Evelyn
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A generational family saga, set at the turn of the last century. One of my favourite time periods to read about with the advent of electricity, telephones and automobiles. The family does not see eye to eye on politics and social issues, with one branch being very active in various movements (suffrage, tenement reform) while the rest of the family grows their wealth in property acquisition and supplying the war effort. In the end, blood is thicker than water.
Just arrived from USA through BM.

Even if I haven't read the previous books of Werner Family saga, I was able to follow the plot.

A pleasant reading for a nice Sunday.
Kathy Alphs
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Ultimate Family Saga

Desmond Tutu once said, "You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."
Belva Plain's "Werner Family Saga" is about the importance of family, and how the choices we make effect those within our immediate sphere of influence. The first book in the series "Evergreen" tells the story of a young Polish Jew, named Anna who leaves the old country to pursue the dream of living in the new world: America. Through Anna's eyes we get
Bamboozlepig
Jun 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF'd this one. I've got the other books in the "Evergreen" series and was disappointed in this one. In the original book, there was no mention of Henrietta that I remember, or if there was, it was only a brief mention. I'm not sure why Plain focused on her character because Henrietta was on the bland side. I was also not all that into Dan's character. Paul Werner is in it, but is pretty much sidelined, at least he was in the section I got up to before stopping. The plotting seemed rushed as wel ...more
Cynthia Drenzek Buckett
I am starting Book #3 - "Tapestry" - in this series by Belva Plain and am thoroughly enjoying them. She is an engrossing storyteller and has you feeling as if you know the people in the Werner family.
Evelyn
Jan 23, 2017 rated it did not like it

THIS WAS A VERY HARD BOOK TO GET INTO AND TO FOLLOW ONCE YOU THOUGHT
YOU KNEW WHAT IT WAS ABOUT. i FINISHED IT AND STILL DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE
STORY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT.
Raquel Bruening
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this series and Belva Plain’s writing. I can’t put her book down. I can’t wait to read the next one!
Brenda Landry
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: roma
After Evergreen, this gave the history of Paul. Left opening for stories to be told. I will start Tapestry right away to continue with this saga.
Jamie Casey
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Hennie Roth. Her entire life she knows she's just not like anyone else. She has different ideas, ideals, and thoughts than anyone else in her family. The things they find important, she does not. Walking one evening with her nephew Paul, her entire life course changes in a single moment and act of courage, as she watches a man risk his life to save others he doesn't even know in a fire. Through her beloved Uncle, friend and confidant, she meets said man and they fall in love ...more
Deborah Pickstone
I read Evergreen long ago and was never aware BP ran to a series of 5 with it. It's a family saga and, as BP always is, a little too cute - the characters are a bit too good to be true. Nothing wrong with an ideal world, however! Also keeping in mind that there were trends in writing in the late 70s and the 80s that date novels of that period - much less demanding of getting facts straight, for one thing and it was the era of the feisty heroine par excellence. Almost always with red hair. Clairol must ha ...more
Sue
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, usa, jewish, wwi
The second book in the Werner family series (Evergreen being the first). This one focuses on Paul's aunt Hennie Roth and the extended family from the late 1800's through World War I and the years just after. Paul's mother Florence is Hennie's sister. There are a couple of incidents from the previous book which are also included here but mostly it is other family members.
I didn't enjoy this as much as Evergreen, but still enough to give it three stars. Evergreen covered a much broader ran
Pamela
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of romance and history
Every now and then I just have to read a Belva Plain book. They are wonderful--if sometimes a little predictable. I always feel like I know the characters in a book personally (and often hate when a book ends for that reason) and her characters are so interesting and well-drawn. This storyline was a little slow in spots but I was never tempted to put it down--just enough going on--good and bad--to keep the pages turning. Hennie is a woman to admire even thought she put up with a great deal from ...more
Adelaide Arthur
Yetunde
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Hannie didn't realize on time that life is always not black and white. she was so strict on herself, being too righteous. but again she is just like somebody out there, which makes this book ok......its so practical, i like it. except that it wasn't a fast page turner. just really feel sorry for Freddy, but i guess some people are just created to be sacrificial lambs for other people to learn about life.
Shameema
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nancy
I listened to this book this time around. I bought the cassette version at the public library sale. Belva Pain does a great job of developing her characters. These characters have flaws, and make some good and bad choices in their lives. People are betrayed, and hurts are felt, and forgiveness comes.
Christine
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After Reading Evergreen, I just had to read the series, just finished The Golden Cup and I really enjoyed. I look forward to reading the follow up to the family, and I shall soon start Harvest.
I read Evergreen many years ago and re-read it, but I didn't know that she had written the other stories so I am enjoying them now.
Susan Kienlen
Jul 20, 2008 rated it liked it
I liked that it was set in the early 1900s basically. I don't know how historically accurate it was. I would think the author would have researched that time period. But, at times it seemed like some of the details were just there to add to the story. I don't know why I kept reading it cause it wasn't a page turner. It was interesting and I wanted to know how the characters' lives unfolded.
Susan Thompson
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was very happy to return to some of the characters from Evergreen. Loved reading about Paul and Anna's relationship from Paul's point of view. I found this book moved more slowly than Evergreen but enjoyed it despite this. Looking forward to reading Heartwood.
Karen
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Solid historical fiction set in NYC at the beginning of the 20th century. Believable sympathetic characters and a good exploration of the gray area between good and bad made this really enjoyable for me.
Miriam
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Interesting to read what happened before Evergreen. The passages about Paul and Anna, seem the same in both books, although of course they weren't the basis for The Golden Cup. The story also illustrates the high price of war through the ages.
Margo
Oct 27, 2014 added it
The Golden Cup by Belva Plain

This is a story of immigrant struggle, war, and passion. Henrietta Roth, an extraordinary women fights to control her destiny and three generations come vividly to life.This is a hard book to put down.
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
RDC-M V 1 1987, 10/87. The epic saga of an immigrant Jewish couple in New York during WWI. Good.
Debbie
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the story,the time period and pleasant to read around the campfire!!
S Miller
Used - Very good (Jacket cover worn)
Cws
Sep 17, 2008 added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Pla
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Marvin Gesher Jay Deniega
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
great book. a truly Belva style of writing... and also, i love the ending!
Jane De vries
Love family sagas but it helps to read them in order! Novels with an historical background are always the most interesting. Lots of insights about the 'War to end all Wars."
A page-turner or not? 1 4 Oct 04, 2012 05:37AM

• The Physics Of Consciousness: The Quantum Mind And The Meaning Of Life
  • Emma Who Saved My Life
  • P.G. Wodehouse : Five Complete Novels (The Return of Jeeves, Bertie Wooster Sees It Through, Spring Fever, The Butler Did It, The Old Reliable)
  • Ellis Island
  • Leap of Faith: An Astronaut's Journey Into the Unknown
  • If They Only Knew
  • Fountain of Age
  • Female Intelligence
  • Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14)
  • Pregnancy Sucks: What to Do When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable
  • The Golden Straw
  • Newspaper Days, 1899-1906 : Volume 2 of Mencken's Autobiography
  • Happy Are the Peacemakers (Blackie Ryan, #5)
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • Hill Country: A Novel
  • Snowfire
  • Forbidden Jewel of India (Herriard, #1)
  • The Devil on Lammas Night
Belva Plain was a best-selling American author of mainstream women's fiction. Her first novel, Evergreen (1978) topped the New York Times bestseller list for 41 weeks and was made into a TV miniseries. At her death, there were over 30 million copies of her twenty-plus novels in print in 22 languages.

Werner Family Saga (5 books)
  • Evergreen