Start by marking “Phoebe the Spy” as Want to Read:
Phoebe the Spy

Phoebe the Spy

Someone is planning to kill George Washington, and young Phoebe Fraunces is trying to save his life. Phoebe gets a job as George Washington's housekeeper, but her real job is to work as a spy. She listens and watches very carefully, and she meets her father every day to tell him what she has learned. One day Phoebe's father tells her that Washington is planning to leave to ...more
Published August 5th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Phoebe the Spy, please sign up.
Sarah Karlekar I read it at the end of 4th grade, but really all ages will enjoy.

Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a fabulous read, lots of fun for kids to get a different perspective of George Washington and revolutionary times from a young black girl's eyes. This is the true story of how a little free black girl and her father saved George Washington's life. I Highly recommend it! Grades 2-6
SCES
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r
This is a great little (true) story about how an African-American girl saved the life of George Washington. This would be a great addition to your study of the American Revolution. Kids seemed to enjoy! Many wonder why they have never heard of the story. -Susan
Shannon Cahill
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caden, evan, liam, mommy, quinn, rylan
Kids enjoyed this book. Very good story! Would read again. Used for Week 5 for George Washington.
Luisa Knight
Here's a fun book to start Independence Day week off with! Full of adventure and mystery that is sure to entertain the littles, it only takes about 30-40 minutes to read out loud and there's pictures on every page.

Ages: 6 - 12

Cleanliness: mentions wine. Someone exclaims, "By God."

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (d
Elise
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a fairly easy to read book (although I wouldn't classify it as a reader). I love to find "easy" books for children that have compelling characters, interesting action, historical contexts and especially ones that inspire bravery. This book does all of that, and it's enjoyable.
Andrea
How a young girl discovers an assassination plot. The murderer is someone who is friendly and brings her gifts. Her watchfulness saves the day. Perfect for discussion with kids about who you can trust and what it means to be a hero.
Stingle8
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok.
Nicholeen
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book about the revolution. I think I am going to suggest it to the Liberty Girls, instead of Felicity. I just need to find other books to go with it. Any ideas?
Ekram
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Joy
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads, childrens
This is a fascinating, historical story about a brave little girl. It's about a girl named Phoebe who helps prevent an assassination attempt on George Washington during the American Revolution. Phoebe is a hardworking, steadfast girl and an unlikely, inspiring heroine. The story is a glimpse into the revolutionary period. While the book states that it's based on a true story, and many of the characters were real people, most of the story is fiction.

There was a plot to kill George Washington. Th
Rachael
I enjoyed this book, which I totally found by chance on the shelf at the Library, but it really left me curious and wanting more. The author's note at the end states that the book is essentially historically accurate, but what does that mean really? She says that Phoebe's father, Samuel Fraunces, really did own a tavern in New York City in the 1700s and he was rewarded for his loyalty to the newly organized USA. In fact, I found out online, that the Tavern is still open and serves very expensive ...more
Avaladez1
May 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
The story of this text was very confusing and interesting at the same time. Its about a young female spy working for a rich family to spy on a certain indidvidual who has been working on a way to take the family's wealth. D uring the final chapter the crook makes his well thought out plan to take the family's wealth. Not knowing the sopposed daughter Phobe was a spy for the local authorities they upprehanded the crook and took him into coustedy.
The reason I chose this book is because during su
Stephen Bauer
In 1776, a free black man, the owner of a tavern in New York, sends his young daughter work as a domestic in George Washington's house for the purpose of listening for information about a suspected plot to kill Washington by someone on his staff. I liked the story, the social, and historical context. As per the author's note at the end, the story is largely historically accurate. The black man was named Samuel Fraunces, and his saloon is the site of the present day Fraunces Tavern in lower Manha ...more
Stacy M. Patton
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
A wonderful historically accurate book. This book is very engaging for elementary aged children. I read this to my 8 year old son, Camden. This was my second time reading this book. I read this to my older children last time we studied early American history. Since we are studying early American history this year, I thought this book would be she appropriate for Camden. We were able to read this book in one day. He really enjoyed it! A must read for elementary aged kids! But any age would enjoy ...more
Jennifer Heise
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very nice, short story about a young black girl serving as Washington's housekeeper during the Rev. War and saving him from being assassinated. It's based on historical stories, but those stories seem to be unsubstantiated:

Would be a good reading for a critical thinking discussion in 3rd or 4th grade about the Rev. War.
Nicole Flores
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This children's book is interesting because it keeps the children in suspense. Phoebe is a woman assigned by her father to be a spy around George Washington Her mission is to find out who is trying to murder him. As the story unfolds the children learn how Phoebe solves this mystery. Iwould use this book during my American Revolution Unit for literature circlereading. Although the book is fiction there are many historical facts that reinforce what the children are learning in class.
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my absolute favorite books and I loved using it in my 4th grade classroom. I love Phoebe, I love George Washington, I love the mystery and the twist. I love this book so much that I want to name my dog Phoebe the Spy. Fortunately for the dog, my husband thinks this is a terrible idea.
Miss Amanda
gr 2-6? 45 pgs

American Revolution, NYC. Phoebe's father, owner of Fraunces Tavern, overhears a plot to assassinate General George Washington. In order to find out more, Phoebe is sent to work as a maid in General Washington's headquarters. Phoebe has to decide who she can trust...

Interesting
Melissa De Wever
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Nice piece of historical fiction. Still trying to find a good life theme for a person to take from it; likely, to "speak little and listen much" or "loyalty is more than appearances."
The tale is quite inspirational, promoting an underdog being an important part of a large picture. Very sweet, but should be presented and prefaced as fiction.
Karen
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Read...9/17/14

Read this book again today because we just got to the part about Washington and the Revolutionary War in the book "Poor Richard". Great tie - in and the kids remembered loving this book..krb 1/5/17
Based on a true story, young Phoebe is sent by her father to the house in which George Washington is staying in NYC. Her mission is to watch undercover to foil an assassination plot. Short. Thrilling.
Lisa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Picture book based on a true story, this is an account of Phoebe Fraunces, of Fraunces Tavern in New York City, who saved the life of General George Washington when one of his bodyguards tried to kill him by poisoning his peas.
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A nice elementary level reader that is about a young girl which makes it easy for the reader to feel like they are part of the story. A true story of how a family sets out to protect George Washington from an assassination plot.
Lorena
It was a cute enough (and true) story, but the slave comments about Washington really bothered me. I think they were inaccurate and cruel. It makes me question other parts of the story. I would like to read another (unbiased) account.
Stephanie
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My kids enjoyed this book so much they asked me to read it again. My daughter enjoyed it because a girl saves the day. My son liked it because he is a history buff. Oh, and I liked it too! Highly recommend!
Kimberly
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my Mom's classroom bookshelf for as long as I can remember and I never read it. Today I was sorting through her books, deciding which to give away, and started paging through. I couldn't put it down until it was done. Great suspenseful history story for kids.
Sue
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book in preparation for a third-grade reading group. It's amazing that I'm still learning things at my age! Interesting true story about a thirteen-year-old black girl's role in preventing the assassination of General George Washington.
Savanna
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i learned alot from this book.
one time my dad was talking and i tolled hime about a girl who saved the presidant, well he thought i was making it up.i give it an extra star for giving me a fact the 6 years later i could use to out smart my dad!
Marilyn
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The dedication in this book is to Jean Fritz. This is very appropriate. It reads like an easy reader Jean Fritz book with an element of mystery. We loved this book. It's so amazing to try and imagine revolutionary times. I'm looking forward to visiting this tavern in New York.
Anna
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this early chapter book about a black free girl who helped foil an assassination plot during the Revolutionary War.
  • The Lewis & Clark Expedition
  • Meet Thomas Jefferson
  • Pocahontas and the Strangers (Scholastic Biography)
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • Meet George Washington