Start by marking “Pride of Lions” as Want to Read:
Pride of Lions

Pride of Lions (Brian Boru #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,111 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Lion of Ireland was the breathtaking chronicle of Brian Boru, the Great King who led the bickering chiefs of Ireland to unity under his reign. He overthrew traditions, reformed society, and became the Irish Charlemagne. The Ireland of 1014 was a dream Brian Boru had dreamed and brought into being.

Now, with all the fire and brilliance for which her writing is known, Morgan
Published March 15th 1997 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Pride of Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride of Lions

Annette
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the story of prince Donnchad, "Donough" Mac Brian, son of Brian Boru.
It starts after Brian Boru's death at Clontarf, and follows his son's attempts to follow his father's path, first claiming Kinkora, Brian's palace, for himself, then fighting with his half-brother Teigue for the crown of Munster, then dreaming of the high-kingship...
(view spoiler)

I feel weird to give only three stars to a Morgan Llwelyn's book. I like her books, I
Henry McLaughlin
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ms. Llywelyn is excellent at making historical characters come alive as real, three dimensional people. Her diligent research flavors every page without ever being burdensome.
Anastasia
This is not my favorite Morgan Llwelyn book. There's nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't grab me. I don't find Donnchad/Donough to be a compelling character. Nor Cera, for that matter. And for all the fuss Ms Llwelyn makes about her books being historical and well-researched, this one doesn't feel quite that way to me. Now, I don't claim to know much about any of the Borus, especially Donough, but I was under the impression that very little is factually and reliably known about him. So mo ...more
Natalie
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: newly-read-2009
I'm not a Llywelyn fan, but I always seem to keep a supply of her books around for when I've run out of things read. That is not to say this book is bad, but I am an impatient reader, and I find her books difficult to force myself to continue reading.

This one, was okay, as the 2 stars indicate. I was dismayed to learn that the character, Cera, was completely fictional! Granted, I was exasperated every time she appeared (I don't know why, I don't like pagan insertions into books, it always feels
Wayne Kearney
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I've had this book for years and am just now getting around to reading it.
I read the previous book "The Lion of Ireland" years ago in high school and loved it.
The history is well done and accurate for the most part.
The romance is kept to a controllable level and there is plenty of action and intrigue.
Her writing style makes for an easy read, but yet there is plenty of character development.
Many books either describe everything in minutia or else gloss it over so much that it's not really int
Tom
May 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I think her books were really good when I was younger, and as I get older and read more, I like her books less and less. Or maybe, she just wanted to write a sequel to a book that was phenomenal, but the sequel just didn't live up to the original. At any rate, I thought character development in this book was virtually nonexistant. When following a character from the age of 14 or so until he is 50 or 60, there ought to be something that changes - not so with the primary character in this story. I ...more
Teri Heyer
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves historical fiction.
I finished reading 'Pride of Lions' yesterday. This is an excellent sequel to 'Lion of Ireland.' Morgan Llywelyn is an awesome historical fiction author, so I'll be reading my way through all of her books. It may take me a while, but I intend to read every one.
Trish Tomes
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the second book I read b Morgan Llewellyn.
Tina
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
My first experience with Morgan Llywelyn's writing was not as long ago as I had imagined when I first read the prequel to this book, Lion of Ireland. I read so many authors that I then discard (or, at least, I have in the last) that I was sure I had read something of Llywelyn's before.
Alas, I had not, and so Lion of Ireland became the first of Llywelyn's Irish tales to reveal itself to my imagination by the light of a candle and the steam from a cup of coffee. A surprisingly great tale, I though
Amber
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've read this one twice now and plan to read it again. Morgan Llewellyn is so engaging of a story teller you really get to know each character intimately. You see every battle, feel every sword thrust, hear the battle cry "BORU, BORU, BORU". You feel all the passion, the anger, the pain, the wonder, the excitement, the fear. She is truly gifted with words. What an intense mixture of fact and fiction resulting in a captivating book that will have you laughing and crying along with each character ...more
Gary Dolman
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Although this book came recommended to me by my father-in-law I'm very much afraid I couldn't get to grips with it, and indeed ultimately couldn't finish it. It seemed much too bound up with the author's awe of the setting and this had the effect of making the whole thing frustratingly slow. having said that, I could see how it might appeal to others - my father-in-law included. Not for me though.
Beverley
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book almost as much as the Lion of Ireland. Donough, the young son of the great Brian Boru, the Ard Ri. He's thrown into the limelight after the death of his father and brothers, and spends his whole life trying to fill his fathers shoes. His struggles are monumental, both internal and external. I also think the Druids add color and interest to the many struggles the Irish encounter. Powerful stories.
Joan Henges
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donhoughs world is heartbreaking but largely his own making..

It's a rough and untamed land but his father has set an example he feels he must live up to. And then there's his mother!
Penny
Jun 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
I just hate this book. Actually I hate most books with war stories, old or contemporary. I suppose there is nothing wrong with the writting, but I just can't stand the genre. After a painful 57 pages, I gave up.
Elaine Cougler
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pride of Lions was quite a good read. the author weaves history and characterizations into an engrossing plot. Great stuff!
Heather
Feb 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Heather by: self
I read other Llywelyn books and loved them. I read this one, but as a sequel, it just wasn't the same. I'm not fond of sequels. The book was fine, but it could have been better.
Melissa
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although not the epic that The Lion of Ireland was/is, Pride of Lions is a fitting continuation of the Brian Boru story. Thank you, Morgan Llewelyn for sharing your knowledge!
Anita Schuck
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Dec 29, 2008
Feb 08, 2016
William
Jun 06, 2008
  • Bright Sword of Ireland
  • Circle of Stones (Circle, #1)
  • Tipperary
  • The Book of Kells
  • Lady of the Glen: A Novel of 17th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe
  • Elfquest Archives, Vol. 3
  • Patrick: Son of Ireland
  • The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2)
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • The Táin: From the Irish epic Táin Bó Cúailnge
  • Irish Lady
  • The Great Shame: And the Triumph of the Irish in the English-Speaking World
  • The Red-Haired Girl from the Bog: The Landscape of Celtic Myth and Spirit
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland
  • Women in Celtic Myth: Tales of Extraordinary Women from the Ancient Celtic Tradition
  • The Eagles' Brood (Camulod Chronicles, #3)
Morgan Llywelyn (born 1937) is an American-born Irish author best known for her historical fantasy, historical fiction, and historical non-fiction. Her fiction has received several awards and has sold more than 40 million copies, and she herself is recipient of the 1999 Exceptional Celtic Woman of the Year Award from Celtic Women International.
More about Morgan Llywelyn...

Brian Boru (2 books)
  • Lion of Ireland (Celtic World of Morgan Llywelyn)