Start by marking “The Search For The Dice Man” as Want to Read:
The Search For The Dice Man

The Search For The Dice Man (Dice Man #3)

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  1,212 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Paperback. Pub Date: 2000 Pages: 381 Publisher: HarperCollins The sequel to the cult classic The Dice Man this book can also change your life! Larry Rhinehart is the Son of an Infamous father. - the renegade psychiatrist Luke Rhinehart. Otherwise known as the Dice Man.Luke became a cult figure in the seventies. inspiring thousands to follow him into the anarchic world of D ...more
Published 1993 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about The Search For The Dice Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search For The Dice Man

Siobhan
Personally, I didn’t enjoy this one quite as much as the first. It was a good book following on from the first however I failed to fall in love with Larry as much as I fell in love with Luke and his dice choices.

Written in the same easy-to-follow way as the first, this one follows Larry’s story on his quest to find his father. There are a lot of moments whereby you’re curious as to what will happen next, second guess what is to come, as there was with the first books. I think I was just expectin
Ugh
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Dice Man is hilarious, gloriously entertaining and, depending on how closed-minded and uptight you are before you start reading it, potentially life changing. The Search for the Dice Man, unfortunately (because once I've started a book I hate to not finish it), is none of these things. The first three quarters offer little in the way of insight, interest or characterisation. Even characters that were fleshed-out in the original, namely Jake and Arlene Ecstein, are here little more than plot ...more
David
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The Dice Man’ is a fantastic read. This follow-up seems, to me, like a rehash of the ideas of the first one and the book struggles to find anywhere new to take them. Some thoughts are spoon-fed to the reader through extracts from Luke’s journal. The whole thing feels a little underwhelming. Don’t get me wrong, there are moments to enjoy here; I loved Honoria’s ‘training’, as well as a lot of the final quarter of the book (hated Mr Battle’s party though!) leading to a satisfying last chapter tha ...more
Jeroen
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s ok, but a lot less hilarious than the first one. And obviously the novelty value has worn off.
Michael Cunningham
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The Search for the Dice Man (1993) is the sequel to the groundbreaking novel The Dice Man (1971) by Luke Rhinehart. When I first read The Dice Man I knew I had just finished a book that would be very hard to top, and I made it no secret in my review that it was (and still is) the best book I have ever read. So it was with great excitement that I started reading the sequel... Dear readers, it saddens me to say that great excitement has a way of leading to great disappointment. That is not to say ...more
Soho_Black
The original "Dice Man" was an interesting story, written in an autobiographical style, about a psychiatrist who decided to live a totally random life. He achieved this by allowing the roll of a die (or, occasionally dice) to make decisions for him, from what to wear to how to act. This got him in trouble from everyone from his family to his colleagues to the law. But the book is inconclusive, as we never get to find out what happens to the man at the end.

Twenty years later, however, there are p
Will
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Search Of The DIceman is a sequel of sorts to original 70s/80s hit The Diceman. The central theme revolves around the authors own prescription to stress in life; to make decisions in an arbitrary way with a dice, “inviting chance into your life”. While the concept has its merits I think the story could have done much more with it.
Rhinehart tries to show some knowledge of the social hierarchy in place in financial banking circles and use this as the springboard for the story. One of my gripes
Ria
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great sequel to the Dice man and though it jumps ahead fifteen years it harks back to the ending of the first book and seems to segue into this follow on effortlessly.
As stated fifteen years has now passed and Luke Rhinehart has been missing and wanted by the FBI all that time.
His children Larry and Evie have grown up and Larry is now dealing as a futures broker on Wall street.
He is moderately successful and is engaged to his boss's daughter Honoria but is lusting after her cousin Kim but one
Juan
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pesar de ser el libro más denostado de la trilogía, a mí es el que más me ha entretenido de los tres, quizá porque es el menos histriónico y yo no tomo drogas. Es un retrato del mundo yuppie de finales de los 80/principios de los 90 complementario al de American Psycho (aquí tienen más relevancia los depredados que los depredadores) y tiene un puntito conspiranoico que me ha gustado bastante aunque después se haya quedado por el camino cual desechado McGuffin.
El final es un poco apresurado y f
Damián
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes for a simple and entertaining read.

I was not aware the original "dice man" book actually existed until I finished reading this book. I just thought it was all made up, so as to give a thicker background on the characters. I liked that fact, and did not inquire any further until I logged in to the site to make this review.

Now that I know the prequel is a real book, I will still ignore the fact the book is based on a previous story. I want this book to exist independently. That way it is a m
Rachael Hewison
"Novelist of the century" doesn't specify what kind of novelist he is. If I could fill in the adjective it would be 'the worst', 'the most irritating' or 'the most bizarre'.
I'd never heard of The Dice Man before and I only stumbled upon its sequel when browsing the bookshelf in an Indian hostel. I did a little Wikipedia research about Luke Rhinehart so I had a vague understanding of the dice life culture, although having never read the original book, I was surprised at just how odd it is.
For sta
Virginia Rand
The original book was about a slightly boring man who had a crisis and started doing interesting things. This book is about a slightly boring man who has a crisis and remains slightly boring but with angst.
Steven
Jun 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't a fan of this one really, an easy read and one you didn't have to think about but the plot was fairly one-dimensional and you could guess most of the twists well before they came to pass. Some parts were interesting but some of the dialogue between characters was terrible and sounded like it was written by a teenage boy with entire chapters describing a sexual encounter that seemed to be there for no other reason than to appeal to, you've guessed it, other teenage boys. I wish I'd read ...more
Dot Gumbi
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm usually wary of sequels, especially when I hold the original in such a high regard, but this book was a worthy successor to the cult hit that is The Dice Man. Written in the same engaging style, this novel follows the son of the dice man on a quest to find his dad, who has been missing for some years. There are some wonderfully realised ideas in this novel and despite being farcical in places, it seems chillingly believable.

I strongly recommend both books for their weirdness, dark humour an
Alan Armstrong
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book somewhat harder to enjoy than the original dice man. the concept of dice play on the stock market seemed more believable but perhaps that is what I disliked... It was too ordinary.

Furthermore there were some plot holes for a sequel, one of the starkest I felt was the complete absence of the dice child introduces in the first book even though the child's mother does feature here
BeeQuiet
May 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Having loved The Dice Man, I was deeply disappointed by this substandard offering from Rhineheart. If you loved the first book, I suggest you avoid this one: it has no real twists, surprises, humour or commentary on the nature of the self which is not executed in a far superior manner there.
Heidi
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this book. I didn't enjoy it as much as the original Dice Man book, which was written in the first person and was much more gripping and thrilling than this one. It was still an enjoyable story, but not really in the same spirit or style as the first book.
Russell Webb
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as the original "Diceman," thoroughly enjoyed it.
Nick Hylands-white
There was no need for a sequel. The first book was original, this is just boring
Ovgu
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bewildering
Zoe
More head fuck.
Zapatistathistle
Sep 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful, just awful, especially when the first novel was one of my favourites of all time.
Donsbilko
I was left wanting more after Dice Man, but this was a little bit of an anti-climax. Still an okay read if you really got into the first book.
Leen Tool
If you liked "The Dice Man", then don't read it.
Kine
Dec 08, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Leste den aldri ferdig. Kanskje jeg gir den et forsøk igjen senere.
Kevin Treweeks
Not as good as the original but still an interesting read
TheYetiWakes
A pretty woeful follow up.
Melissa Holden
It was a good read, considering I was writing an article about it for Her Uni, but I wouldn't read it again.
Cazzie
Apr 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as it predeccesor, but still defiantly worth reading. Basically about 'The Dice Man's' son hunting for his father.
  • Out of the Black Shadows: The Amazing Transformation of Stephen Lungu
  • A Singular Man
  • The Green Witch Herbal: Restoring Nature's Magic in Home, Health, and Beauty Care
  • The Garment
  • Thurber Country
  • Sepp Holzer: The Rebel Farmer
  • Slouching Towards Kalamazoo
  • Selkirk's Island: The True and Strange Adventures of the Real Robinson Crusoe
  • This Time of Dying
  • The Curry Secret
  • The Wild Island (Jemima Shore, #2)
  • Unfair to Goliath
  • The Flying Inn
  • Mary Bell's Comp Dehydrator Cookbook
  • The Old Straight Track: Its Mounds, Beacons, Moats, Sites and Mark Stones
  • Doting
  • The Buddha, Geoff and Me
  • Mawrdew Czgowchwz
Luke Rhinehart is the pen name of the author George Cockcroft.

George Cockcroft was born in the United States, son of an engineer and a civil servant. He received a BA from Cornell University and an MA from Columbia University. Subsequently he received a PhD in psychology, also from Columbia. He married his wife, Ann, on June 30, 1956. He has three children.

After obtaining his PhD, he went into tea
More about Luke Rhinehart...

Dice Man (4 books)