Start by marking “Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)

Overcoming Low Self-Esteem

(Overcoming)

Overcoming Low Self-Esteem has been developed as a self-help manual by Dr Melanie Fennell from the Department of Clinical Psychology at the Warneford Hospital in Oxford. This book will aid readers to understand their condition, and, armed with new knowledge, to break out of the vicious circle of negative self-image, learn the art of self-acceptance and alter their lives ...more
Published August 26th 1999 by Robinson

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Low Self-Esteem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Low Self-Esteem

Start your review of Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
Nimue Brown
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The methods are good, but there's a troubling hole in the content which is why I settled on a 3, not a 4 even though the book had a powerful impact on my thinking.

Low self esteem can both contribute to, and be caused by, depression and anxiety. For many people running into one will likely put you in contact with the others, given time. This book offers methodical, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy approaches to improving self esteem. Its an interesting read and I found it very helpful. I find I can
Courtney Williams
The book: Overcoming Low Self Esteem

The author: Melanie Fennell, an influential cognitive behavioural therapist whose achievements include founding the Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre.

The subject: A guide to, well, overcoming low self-esteem. This book contains both exercises and exposition, combining to form the next best thing to a course of CBT.

Why I chose it: My cognitive behavioural therapist recommended this to me having isolated low self-esteem as the root of my problems. Im familiar with
Danielle
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing

So I do suffer with low self-esteem and I was recommended this book by a friend.

I always felt that I over-think and put too much emphasis on criticising myself. This self-help course has been instrumental in completely changing my view towards myself, others, and the daily situations that used to cause me anxiety.
In the past I have started reading many other self-help books, but I can honestly say this is the first programme that I have read that I have not found a chore. I personally feel
Don
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A pretty thorough work, essentially a treatment manual. The author adapts CBT to treat low self-esteem, and I'm aware of two studies which have shown the program's effectiveness. The author places several demands on readers -- e.g., tons of record keeping assignments -- but I suppose true healing requires commitment and hard work.
Inci
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitabı çok beğendim. Yalnız ismi sanki yanlış olmuş çünkü özgüvenden ziyade çocukluktan getirdiğimiz örüntülerimizi görmemizi ve üstesinden gelmemizi sağlamayı hedeflemiş. Dili de yeterince akıcı ve anlaşılır. Kendine yardım kitaplarında yapılması istenen şeyler uygulanırsa başarıya ulaşılabilir, buda onlardan birisi. Başucu kitabı adayı olabilir.
Mari-Liis
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Väga asjalik ja huvitav raamat. Loen seda raamatut juba pea kaks aastat. Mul oli see e-raamatuna olemas ja üle poole ka loetud, aga kuna mulle kuidagi ei istunud tahvlist lugemine, siis jäi see sinnapaika. Kui 2019 suvel nägin seda raamatut allahinnatuna müügis, siis teadsin, et see on märk. Ostsin ja hakkasin lugema, aga ikka jäi pooleni. Kuniks ma nüüd mõtlesin, et loen selle lõpuks läbi ja väärt oli, et ma end kokku võtsin ja läbi lugesin. Samas võibolla raamat teadis, et nüüd on õige hetk ...more
Vasco
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The bad: nothing in particular.

The good: a practical and helpful CBT-based guide for overcoming low-self esteem. It covers the basics from a CBT perspective, from belief transformation to examining your rules for living and your predictions about what will happen, going down into your core identity traits and reshaping those beliefs. Solid and informative manual.
Christie
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pyschology
An inspiring book.
Self-prejudice, Over-thinking, Self-criticism (toxic).
People who suffer from low self-esteem are incapable of seeing the whole pictures of their egos, simply seeing the ugly part that confirms their prejudice on themselves. They can't help collecting details of failures or setbacks even awkardness in their life to stress their negative cognition of themselves. For most people, the saying is "treat others in the way you would like to be treated", however the advice goes on the
Mel
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a bit repetitive, and if youre already familiar with CBT then you might not find a lot thats new here.

That said, the guiding questions in each exercise were helpful and thought-provoking. I also appreciated the characters used throughout the book to provide specific examples for each exercise/point; they also helped me see the far harsher standards I held myself to vs others.
Ozge
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cok guzel aciklama ve orneklendirmelerle baslayan kitap maalesef ilerleyen sayfalarda kendini tekrara dustugu icin sonlara dogru sıkıcı olmaya basladi.Genel olarak ortalama bir kitaptan oteye geçemedi maalesef
Onur
Apr 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
İyi Hisset ile benzer tonda ama daha eksik, sade ve çokça kendini tekrar eden bir kitap.
Belki de benzer türde çokça kitap okumanın getirdiği doygunluktan da bu düşük puanı vermiş olabilirim. Bana yeni ve fazla bir şey katmadı maalesef.
Hannah
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
Very informative with some great examples and techniques for boosting self esteem.
I think this book works best when read/used along side other mental health books as usually low self esteem stems from somewhere and often goes along side mental illness.
Madli Allikas
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Võtab kokku ja seletab lahti kõik kognitiiv käitumuslik teraapias kasutatavaid enesehinnangu ning põhiuskumute muutmiseks ning mõistmiseks kasutatavaid võtteid. Kindlasti toimib teraapia kõrvalt - iseseisvalt tuleb väga palju iseseisvalt vaeva näha.
L. R. J. Allen
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really excellent. It goes hand in hand with CBT so more of a guiding hand than a definitive magic-make-it-all-better but definitely makes you think differently.
Katisha
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely brilliant book and does exactly what it says in the title. I came to this one via a recommendation from a CBT counsellor and via the 'Books on Prescription' list at my local library. I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you really want to use it to make a difference you might also consider getting the three accompanying workbooks recently released. They are by no means essential, but do add even more to this already wonderful program of self-rescue. The only better way ...more
Laura Crean
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-amazon-buys
Bought to help overcome my problems with anxiety, depression and at the time being house bound with social anxiety but I didn't get on with the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) approach. It's not going to be for everyone, even though it is the approach that the NHS subscribes to. I found it too harsh, made me feel even more guilty and in fact made me more ill because I found its intense program too hard to go through.
Clare Holman-Hobbs
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been reading this sporadically since I started CBT therapy last November and I found it really informative. For me, it highlighted and put into words my feelings that I had trouble expressing. It also gave really good resources to help the reader struggling with low self-esteem. Sometimes I found it slightly dense, but I would recommend this to anyone who has low self-esteem.
Krysztina
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Informative and very thorough, but not as helpful for someone who doesn't care much for keeping obsessively detailed records of upsetting situations. Then again, even though I'm not fond of record-keeping at all, I did appreciate the practical value of the advice and insights in this book, and the real-life examples were a nice (and sometimes enlightening) touch.
Anser
I did not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the overcoming suspicious and paranoid thoughts book.
I read this because of that book, as they said in that, that if your mood is low, then you should try out this book or something.
Although it's not a bad book, if i work through it, I think I can make improvement.
Jasmine
While I haven't yet (hopefully) done the exercises suggested in the book, they definitely seem like they could be quite helpful. Just having read the book I feel like I've been given plenty of useful advice that will help me change my thinking.
Paul Heather
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought-new, self-help
Really good for improvement the tool kit with plenty of mind management tools.
Juliette
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
A good back up to therapy as it covers what your likely to come across in CBT- Nor sure it would be suitable as a pure self help book though.
Aileen Lin
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lengthy but worth it.. I guess it's for people who are on the further end of the low self-esteem spectrum. It has its similarities in the overcoming anxiety book.
Thommel Gama
Lance
Jun 14, 2016
Kristina Vaznonyte
Apr 10, 2016

• Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • How to Deal with Difficult People: Smart Tactics for Overcoming the Problem People in Your Life
  • Change Your Thinking: Overcome Stress, Anxiety, and Depression, and Improve Your Life with CBT
  • Motivasyon Rehberi; Erteleme Bagimlilik ve Tembellik Psikolojisi
  • The Self-Care Project: How to let go of frazzle and make time for you
  • Hayır Diyebilme Sanatı
  • Be Brilliant Every Day
  • You Are Awesome: Find Your Confidence and Dare to be Brilliant at (Almost) Anything: The Number One Bestseller
  • The Idea in You: How to Find It, Build It, and Change Your Life
  • Talk Yourself Better: A Confused Person's Guide to Therapy, Counselling and Self-Help
  • Thinking on My Feet: The small joy of putting one foot in front of another
  • The Art of Not Falling Apart
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • Lessons I've Learned
  • Self-Made Me: Why Being Self-Employed Beats Everyday Employment Every Time
  • Relationship Breakthrough: How to Create Outstanding Relationships in Every Area of Your Life
  • Emotional Resilience: How to safeguard your mental health
  • Suç ve Ceza

Overcoming (7 books)
  • Overcoming Depression
  • Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Worry (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques