Start by marking “The Cellar” as Want to Read:
The Cellar

The Cellar

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Meredith Willis is suspicious of Adrien, the new guy next door. When she dares to sneak a look into the windows of his house, she sees something in the cellar that makes her believe that Adrien might be more than just a creep—he may be an actual monster.But her sister, Heather, doesn’t share Meredith’s repulsion. Heather believes Adrien is the only guy who really understan ...more
Published May 2nd 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cellar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cellar

Merideth Jenson-Benjamin
May 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary, horror

Summary: Meredith lost her dad months ago in a car wreck caused by her sister Heather. Now, Heather has become an emo poster-child and Mom is a shopoholic. But when the amazingly handsome and charismatic Adrien St. Germain moves to town, Heather falls instantly in love. Meredith however, senses something not right about Adrien, and seeks answers in the decrepit house next door. But, can she believe what she sees?

What Worked: The writing here is atmospheric
Sandy
Jan 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
A.J. Whitten's The Cellar is supposed to be a mix of zombies and Romeo and Juliet. I could have done with more Romeo and Juliet and less zombies. The horror in this book isn't very "I'm going to have nightmares for weeks because of this"--it felt more just gratuitous. However, for the segment of young adult readers who enjoy horror lite with a smattering of Twilight, this will be enjoyable.

Personally, I would have liked if this story stayed with a third-person narrative. The switch between first
AtenRa
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, ya-fiction
I love me a good zombie story!Especially one that is not about the stereotypical goofy-stupid kind of zombies.
The Cellar was a book that started very strong but I am afraid had a somewhat disappointing second half.

The writing was pretty good, very funny and witty.I admit it,the detailed and very gory descriptions gave me quite a scare when I was reading the book in the middle of the night.Regardless of that,though,first 200 pages went by without my even noticing it, it was that good!

Then, the re
Logan
Dec 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
First impressions: The book opens with a tense scene where Meredith's sister, Heather, blurts that she wishes she had died instead of their father. This family is falling apart after a car accident that killed their patriarch, and this bombshell of a statement sets up a very complicated relationship between the sisters that really sucked me in.

Lasting impressions: Unfortunately, there were not enough likable elements in this book for me to recommend it.

Conflicting impressions: For me, the book w
Cheyenne
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Also see the review on my blog.

Let me begin by telling you how many horror books I've ever read: zero. I don't even watch horror movies because they freak me out too much. But while The Cellar was, in fact, a horror, it wasn't overwhelmingly scary. The author (I know it's not just ONE author, but it's easier to say the author than saying it the drawn out way.) focused more on the creepy aspects, like bugs and bugs and more bugs. BIG bugs. Lots of them. There was also lots of human torture (they
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
Ok. So Weird boy moves in next door. Sister falls in love with him. See a Dead body hanging in the neighbors basement: body is being eaten by neighbor and his mother...."brains are the best"... All the girls are acting weird at school. Something is def. going on!

This book not only had an incredibly smart Zombie (which is unusal because they are always brain-dead flesh eaters), but also a love story. (*ahhh* right?)

It really is...who would have thought that a zombie would make a swoon worthy boyf
Maria
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
What I Can Tell You:
I loved it! It's a mystery. It's horror. It's young love. It's young adult. It's everything. A.J. White does a great job of creating an interesting story about sisters Heather and Meredith, who are high schoolers who recently lost their loving father. When neighbors move into the old Victorian house things start getting weird.

New neighbor "living dead" Adrien and his "mother" Marie are interesting. All the girls in school find Adrien super hot but Meredith is convinced there
Bewitched Bookworms
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-posted
The zombies in this book aren't your standard shuffling along, not thinking or communicating zombies. They are in the vein of Haitian voodoo zombies and it's interesting to see ones that can act like normal everyday people. But they do have to replace their host bodies as they decay.

I give this book a 5 out of 5. It's a very interesting and fast paced read. Plus it's a little gorier than most young adult fare.

Read the full review here.
Claire
Feb 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Like Darren Shan meets Stephenie Meyer. Double euwww.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Jul 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
The reason I wanted to read The Cellar was because it advertised itself as Romeo and Juliet with zombies, only not in a Quirk classics way. That sounded like it could be hilarious. It wasn't for an assortment of reasons. 1: It took itself way too seriously. 2: Having the school do a modern version of Romeo and Juliet does not make this a modernization of said play; the story has to back it up. 3: These zombies are totally not following the rules and are, perhaps, other fantastical creatures. All ...more
  • Girl Wonder
  • Savannah Grey
  • In the Arms of Stone Angels
  • Angel Kiss
  • Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer (Twisted Tales, #2)
  • Displacement
  • Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)
  • My Misadventures as a Teenage Rock Star
  • My Not-So-Still Life
  • The Atomic Weight of Secrets or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black (The Young Inventors Guild, #1)
  • Assimilate
  • One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2)
  • My Life, the Theater, and Other Tragedies
  • Here Lies Bridget
  • Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story, #1)
  • Flee
  • Gone Wild
  • Vanished
A.J. Whitten is the pen name for well-known romance author Shirley Jump and her teenage daughter, Amanda Jump.
More about A.J. Whitten...