Start by marking “Celebrating Interfaith Marriages: Creating Your Jewish/Christian Ceremony” as Want to Read:
Celebrating Interfaith Marriages: Creating Your Jewish/Christian Ceremony

Celebrating Interfaith Marriages: Creating Your Jewish/Christian Ceremony

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The first comprehensive wedding guide specifically for the Jewish/Christian couple who wants to honor both religious traditions in their service, vows, and readings.

Saying "I do" is one of the happiest moments in a couple's life together--but planning that trip to the altar can be a stressful ordeal. The minute an engagement is announced two full clans want to celebrate th
Published April 19th 1999 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Celebrating Interfaith Marriages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrating Interfaith Marriages

Curtis Edmonds
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Interfaith marriages," Rabbi Lerner says, "are a fact of life." To which I can attest. I'm a Southern Baptist communicant; my beautiful bride is Jewish, and we got married in April 2006.

This is the book we bought to set up our ceremony, and a very helpful and useful book it was. Rabbi Lerner (bless her heart) has been doing interfaith marriages since 1979, according to the book jacket, and she is an unfailing source of help and enlightenment.

I can only speak from my side of the aisle, of course
Shoshanah
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
About a year and a half ago my mom sent me a copy of this book. (And by that I really mean she had someone on paperbackswap send it to me, but close enough.) At the time I hadn't really started thinking about or ceremony, but now that we're almost 2 months away it seems like the perfect time to pick it up.

I actually found this far more interesting than I expected and different than what I anticipated as well. I was thinking this would be more of a self-help type book or making an interfaith marr
Kate Irwin-smiler
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
The author is a rabbi who performs interfaith ceremonies (which is something of a rarity, for a variety of reasons), but she has obviously had input from Christian celebrants as well, as evidenced by the introduction by a Catholic priest. The book is divided into four parts. The first discusses issues involved in interfaith ceremonies - difficulties and clashes of tradition, but also some basic wedding advice (how to get a marriage license, etc.). The second provides six interfaith ceremonies; o ...more
Liza
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
I found this book so helpful, and very practical. I am Jewish, and my (now) husband is not, so I was thrilled when my rabbi suggested this book to help us guide the flow of our wedding ceremony. It's complete with explanations behind wedding traditions of different faiths, and ways to incorporate them. One thing I liked best was the "scripts" with actual sample vows and readings. I was able to mix and match to incorporate what fit our beliefs and personalities best.
Stephanie
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am catholic and my fiance is jewish. I really wanted to plan a ceremony that made both of our families (and us!) happy. I would recommend this book to anyone in a similar situation - it has been extremely helpful in giving general ideas on customs (and reasons and symbols behind the customs) to very specific outlines for the ceremony itself.

Andrea
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Matt and I found this really helpful in planning our ceremony and things to consider since he's Jewish and I'm Christian. Even without the religion involved just things for us to consider in a ceremony, this was very helpful. It had multiple passages and phrasing of popular ceremony parts for people to choose from, which was nice.
Mell
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is super useful for those looking to craft their own ceremony--I was amazed at all of the wonderful wording options for each section. I got it from the library, then after spending the evening with it, realized I needed to buy it! A great road map for sorting out what you want out of a ceremony--after reading, I feel much more prepared for meeting with an officiant.
Marian
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent introduction to creating an interfaith marriage ceremony. It describes eachof the elements of the weddings and gives a variety of language options to meet individuals' needs. Highly recommend it.
Lucy Hayes