Start by marking “Hold My Hand I'm Dying” as Want to Read:
Hold My Hand I'm Dying

Hold My Hand I'm Dying

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The great heart of Africa is dying. Joseph Mahoney, the last colonial commissioner in the spectacular Kariba Gorge, is there to witness the death throes. Somehow, he must also ease the birth pangs of the new Africa that will take its place. His companions are Samson, his Matabele servant, and Suzie, the girl he loves.

But Mahoney and Suzie are drifting apart, and now Samson
Paperback
Published April 1st 1969 by Corgi (first published 1967)

Elsabe
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new boyfriend at the time recommended the book, I was more than apprehensive! Dark haired man on the cover carrying a flailing girl - definitely NOT my type of literature! My snobbish opinion. But I did read the book, and married the boyfriend.
Awesome rendition of life in old Rhodesia. Capturing the charm of our lives in Africa to the t. While at the same time giving a brilliant rendition of the history - how it unfolded and why we were so oblivious.
I still long for those Sundays..
Shadin :)
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
ive read this book three times!!!!!!!
really interesting , romantic one,,, :)its full of love, sacrifice , war, leaving and coming back againg.....
i wish one day to see the movie . im sure it would amasing, wonderful. as the novle itself.... :)

No One Can LIVE Without Love .....
A
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on a fence while walking to Bondi Beach. I liked it - being about a time and place that I know nothing about, it was both vivid and very passionately written. Unfortunately as the book progressed, I found myself increasingly wanting to wallop the two lovers with a large trout.
Takudzwa Maramba
This isn't a bad book, not by any stretch at all (although several character loose threads weren't tied up by the end). And maybe I've read too much Tom Clancy and Wilbur Smith to understand a book that's about nothing at all. Seriously what was this book about? I watched the movie as a child and enjoyed it quite a bit, at least something happened in that version of this story. From as near as I could tell, all this book was was a white author bemoaning the disappearance of a white dominated Afr ...more
Mpumi Sithole
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely enjoyed reading this book. Loved the way the story unfolds, the detail pre-independence and what Rhodesia went through just before independence. A great way to learn about history. The love story is amazing too, although the end is not a happy one
Sarah Bassett
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
loved this book. I read this while in Zambia & it definitely helped me relate to what people had been through.
Patti
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book whilst I was living in South Africa. between 1970 and 1972 and also spent two months in Rhodesia. Loved the book and have decided soon I will read it again.
Richard
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You read it, you smell the thorn bush. Evocative of colonial Rhodesia and a lovely narrative.
John Polson
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read it twice - once before living in Southern Africa - and once since.
Ian Van der merwe
  • One
  • Katzenauge. Filmerzählungen
  • The Bones of Time
  • On Foot Through Africa
  • Eater of Souls (Lord Meren, #4)
  • The Tower
  • Melissa
  • Der Gesang der Orcas
  • In Borrowed Light
  • Moon Filly
  • Jock of the Bushveld
John Gordon Davis was born and grew up in Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). He had a degree in Political Science and an LLB. He served on the bar in Southern Rhodesia, before UDI in that country.

He became a full time writer after the success of his first book Hold my hand I'm dying.

He ran a course in fiction writing from Andalusia in Spain. He passed away in November 2014 and is survived by his wi
More about John Gordon Davis...