Start by marking “Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It ” as Want to Read:
Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It

Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  4,212 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
"The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It," by Edith Nesbit, is part of the "Barnes & Noble Classics"" "series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of "Barnes & Noble Classics" New i ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Barnes & Noble Classics (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It

Jessica
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this fantasy novel written between 1905-1907. As a child, I didn't read many novels about magic and fantasy, of course excluding Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. This genre was new to me. The first story, Five Children and It, was entertaining and imaginative. Believing that there was something that could make your wishes or dreams come true was appealling, until you came to realize that you must be careful what you wish for.

The Enchanted Castle was so wonderful. I enjoyed
Sara
The Enchanted Castle is charming in the typical way of Victorian British children's literature: upper middle class white English children encountering strange and fantastical occurrences, being generally likable, but slightly insipid; a pretty harmless book overall and if you like children's literature or the history of children's literature, it's worth a read.

I found Five Children and It immensely more unlikable. The children are richer, brattier. When given the chance to have their wishes gra
Rita
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read through the Five Children fairly quickly. I thought it was interesting enough. For a child reading the story there are great morals to it. Be careful what you wish for, be happy with what you have and you never appreciate what you have until it's gone. Very imaginative wishes.

However I only got through 2 chapters of The Enchanted Castle. Same ideas reciting the names -shall be called this but not that and wishes again and magic.

I don't like forcing myself to read. I found time is too pre
Renee
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars A very imaginative story, but too long and overly descriptive. I enjoyed the basic plot.
Ана Хелс
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Несбит е от авторките пишещи за деца, такива каквито ги разбира - свободни, безгрижни, наивни и готови да изживеят всичко точно тук и сега, независимо с кой, как, защо и прочие въпроси за възрастни. Три деца, твърде далеч от родители и зрялост, намират извора на чудесата, създадени от любовта и равновесието на света зад ъгъла на видимото и почти невидимото там някъде сред детството. Малките герои са твърде емоционално древни, за да може което и да е съвременно хлапе да се асоциира поне мъничко с ...more
Gloria
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone; Everyone
This particular version has two stories by Edith Nesbit. If just being introduced to her works, I suggest getting the books themselves.

This version begins with an author's biography, a timeline which tells of the author's life and works, and then an introduction which includes part of the author's life as well as an overview of the two stories. Since I had never read them before, it was semi-irritating to have a preview before the stories.

The first story is Five Children and It . The family wit
Jeni Enjaian
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoyed this book, although at first I wondered how a "children's" book could be so long. Turns out that it's actually two stories. These stories are quite readable and engaging.
These two stories are different yet at the same time by the time one reaches the end of the second story, the "ring" becomes very much like the "Samayyad."The four siblings of the first story also become very much like the three siblings and one friend of the second story. (Perhaps I should state that the other
Adriana
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The modern children’s story exists thanks to Nesbit, so reading at least one of her books is a must.
However, I think I waited a bit too long to do it. Everything she’s lauded for creating is there (the magic, the extraordinary, the adventure for slightly upper-class English children), but I kept getting the feeling that I’ve read it all before and a little bit better.
Neither Enchanted castle nor Five Children aged particularly well when compared to the literature that was inspired by them. I c
Starry
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Edith Nesbit's books. I love her light, humorous style (which seems very modern, considering she wrote 100 yrs ago) and her believable characters (who always sound like such fun companions) and her magical adventure stories. So it's a pleasure to share these favorite books with my kids, even if I need to explain lots of antiquated words as we go.

Of these two stories, I like The Enchanted Castle better -- the scenes of statues coming to life in the moonlit garden have always stuck in my m
Jesse Garner
Nesbit was an author I thought I would enjoy more than I did. It seems like she influenced so many other British authors through her works but I didn’t see the staying power in these stories. They were charming, though the children did get rather annoying in their reactions. The Enchanted Castle is the better of the two stories, weaving the ordinary of life in with the extraordinary. The fake people are actually quite scary.
Annm
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really two full books in one, both intended for children. While one source described these both as classics, I can see why the first one really isn't read any more. It is awfully preachy about what children should not do. The second one started off in much the same way, and even has a similar theme of wishes gone wrong, but is a much better read. The second one is The Enchanted Castle.
Gayle
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely classic literature. It's two books, each about 200+ pgs. There's a magic sand fairy, magic ring, lots of kids, and fun adventures! The author writes as though she is seated with children all around her and she is making it up as she goes along, specifically making remarks to the reader(s)/listeners. Nesbit is a Brit, and luckily has footnotes explaining obscure words/phrases. Fun books for about 8 - 11 years of age.
Just Me
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this on the Classics shelf and (to my recollection) have never read anything by Ms. Nesbit. So, I gave it a try. The verdict? Charming and sweet. It's definitely aimed at children, but it's enjoyable if you want a really light read between books or to wind down. I probably would have loved these stories as a child.
Lisa
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those whom enjoy reliving the fun of childhood!
So far, I have almost finished Five Children and It! It is a wonderful book and very funny. I chuckled a lot during the reading and had to share parts of the story with my husband throughout because his curiosity got the better of him! I found it to be a very worthwhile read. I will come and comment more as I finish it.
Lorna
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read these first before reading to my children. Actually i really liked then especially the Enchanted Castle as it is quite original in the story. Both books are much the same with the children and settings etc. if you like that time period of the 30-40s and they way the children speak etc you will like thesem if you won't then the books will bug you no end!
Andrew Farley
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Children making mischief. What could be better? Edith Nesbit artfully crafts two children's tales that stand up to the test of time. Both of these stories activated my imagination in ways I hadn't used since I was a child. They took me back to days when the entire world could be recreated in my mind, magic was real, and possibilities were endless.
Erika Nelson
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Enchanted Castle is an excellent example of its genera, and just the sort of story I loved when I was young. Nesbit understands children very well, and her story of magic that is real, dangerous, and full of adventures is simply a delight to read. This edition contains useful footnotes that translate some of the more outdated language and cultural references.
Megan
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
currently re-reading. great kids stories you haven't heard 7 billion times. the characters in them are pretty neat too -- they get mad at each other over stupid stuff when it's hot out, try to be good when it's hard and all. nice to turn off your brain to.
Sol
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leí El Castillo encantado hace mucho tiempo, tendría que releerlo, parece tener más mensaje de lo que parece.
Feb 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Nothing much really happened.
Sheena
Read it as a child and loved it!
Jared Robertson
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third reading with third batch of kids.

I have read this to all my children, and just finished with the youngest two. It is a family favorite!
Dylan
The two stories were oddly similar, 4 children and a mess of wishes. The wishes themselves were even almost the same. However each story was delightful and the writing very pleasing to the eye.
Heather Kernan
A fun fanciful adventure with a fun group of children with endearing personalities. Good to share with my son.
Jaimie
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun children's books, written by a witty author. Though it was written so long ago, it translates wonderfully to modern day.
Francis
A wonderful book for kids a good book for adults who remember what it was like.
Pinapetunia
I read "Five Children and It" and I'm reading "The Enchanted Castle". I LOVE EDITH NESBIT!
Ava
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!
Sue
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
it was just The Enchanted Castle....
re-read it....fun
Christina
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! So far I have only just read the first book in the combo, Five Children and It, and I thought it was so delightful!
  • Founding America: Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • Common Sense and Other Writings
  • Billy Budd and The Piazza Tales
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Northfield
  • Silas Marner and Two Short Stories
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
Edith Nesbit (married name Edith Bland; 15 August 1858 – 4 May 1924) was an English author and poet; she published her books for children under the name of E. Nesbit.
She wrote or collaborated on over 60 books of fiction for children, several of which have been adapted for film and television. She was also a political activist and co-founded the Fabian Society, a socialist organisation later connec
More about E. Nesbit...