Start by marking “Planetes, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Planetes, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1)

Planetes, Volume 1

(Planetes #1)

Haunted by a space flight accident that claimed his beloved wife, Yuri finds a job cleaning space debris from Earth's orbit. His team consists of Hachimaki, a hot shot debris-man with a sailor's affinity for the orbital ocean; Fee, a tomboy beauty with an abrasive edge and a penchant for smoking; and Pops, a veteran orbital mechanic whose avuncular presence soothes the str ...more
Published October 7th 2003 by Tokyopop (first published January 23rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Planetes, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planetes, Volume 1

Jokoloyo
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a general review for the series

A hard science fiction manga in a near future telling story of Hachimaki, a young astronaut. Astronaut in the story has wide meaning. And for Hachimaki case he was a space garbage debris cleaner.

This manga has art that rich in details, and story/plot that equals it. A must try for hard sci-fi. One of the my fav scene is a fighting scene between spacemen that using low G and low air pressure in their fighting techniques.
Tony
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Most people familiar with the name Planetes are those who've only watched the anime series this manga is based on. That's a real shame, because not only are the two almost wholly different in tone and focus, the books are really something special.

I've heard it said that the difference between genre fiction and literary fiction is the commitment to tell the story of the characters' humanity rather than a story of plot events. By that definition, you can count Planetes as one of the few examples o
K.
Despite the lackluster space initiatives in the past two decades, there's already just a crapton of junk floating in orbit around the Earth. It's incredibly plausible to me that astronaut garbagemen could be a thing in the future. Especially if we 1. finally allocate more money to our space programs and 2. keep up our wasteful human habits while doing so.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

There's some really excellent technical art in this series, from the junker shuttles t
Vicki
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Planetes is a manga which spans 5 volumes (well, technically 1-3, then 4.1 and 4.2...but hey who's counting?). Unfortunately the series is out of print at the moment so some of the volumes can be pretty hard to get hold of.

This is really sad because its such a fantastic series! I think anyone who likes sci-fi would enjoy this series, comic/manga reader or not.

Its set in the 2070s and is about the crew of a space debris collection ship. The characters are very well realised: at turns feisty, thou
Keith
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A student of mine did a presentation on this last year and I immediately grabbed it as a potential assigned reading for some future course. This treads on a lot of familiar ground for the "spacethink" genre, most notably connecting to the ideas of Solaris, but also 2001 and even, to a certain extent, the Alien film series. Told as an anthology, each chapter shifts its focus to a different member of a small spaceship crew, as well as their family and friends. Themes of exploration, environmentali ...more
Nathan
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly moving collection of five separate stories that build on and reference each other. A fully realized future of humanity in space by 2070. And questions about whether we should expand beyond Earth. With great scientific detail and history of rocketry (including a 300 year old Japanese festival).
Revol Koob
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Manga x space appreciaters
Good in a slow and philosophical-ish way.
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
Oh what a gem Planetes is. Makoto Yukimura is a ridiculously good story-teller and an expert in creating fleshed-out characters in a very limited number of panels. Four is a very small number of volumes to not only create a staggeringly detailed world but also add an array of 3-dimensional and diverse characters who evoke vivid feelings in the reader. All this and there is still more to it. It is brimful of action, drama, comedy, tear-jerkers, space adventures, introspection, conspiracy, world p ...more
Vince
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Makoto Yakimura's Planetes presents a refreshing and surprisingly poignant picture of life in space in a near-future believably extrapolated from our present. Rather than alien adventures and martial-arts combat, Planetes offers a slice-of-life story following the lives of three space garbage collectors whose job is to clean Earth's orbital paths from the debris of nearly a century of space exploration (e.g. haul away old satellites or even loose metal like bolts and tin plates).

The art is well-
Mars Dorian
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the original story for one of my favorite Anime series of all time.

It deals with a young astronaut in the future whose job is to collect space debris around the Earth's cosmos.
Mankind has colonized Moon and Mars and now works on a spaceship to reach Jupiter, while space terrorism, intrigue, corruption and pirates and revolts disturb live in the universe.

This is hard-science, folks. No Star Wars like lasers or fire explosions in space. Everything in this series is based on facts and th
Zack Patten
Mar 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
This has to be one of the worst mangas I have read. The story made absolutely no sense. Throughout the whole book they would skip over large periods of time so suddenly. For example at one point the main character, Hachi, is talking to a girl and then it just suddenly skips three months into the future and it doesn't even say something like 'Three Months Later...' it just suddenly happens. I only knew three months had past because a couple panels later someone mentioned it. Overall this isn't so ...more
Bob Bello
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding artwork, compelling characters, intriguing storytelling. Liked it much, much better than the hilarious anime TV comedy, though their artwork was fantastic as well. Storywise, the manga version rules. Godspeed!
Danielle
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is some stunningly good art in this series...
K T
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
My favorite of the Planetes books I read. Not so heavy on the psychological symbolism, and lots of small self-contained stories about SPACE. Character-driven.
Paul Spence
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Many contemporary comics and graphic novels tagged with the science-fiction label, at least in North America, are short on the science and long on the fiction. What are often marketed as science-fiction comics these days would probably be described by those more particular about genre distinctions as “science fantasy”: Pulp-styled adventure narratives with little in the way of rational speculation of the effects of scientific and technological advances on society at large, functioning, for all i ...more
Artemy
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, 5-stars
Planetes is an excellent slice of life manga about a group of space janitors living in space and doing their jobs, all the while dealing with life things like space sickness, loss of loved ones, existential questions and even space terrorism. It's very funny, occasionally deeply philosophical, a bit naive and absolutely beautiful thanks to Yukimura's impressive art style. As an added bonus, it features a Russian character Yuri who is not a terrorist, a billionaire, a criminal or otherwise an ass ...more
Desiree Sotomayor
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book....well, it left me a little bit emotional after a lunch break (but in a good way) and I'm really excited to read the 2nd volume this weekend. Kinda sad to hear some parts of the series are tough to find, but still a really great, complex diaspora story that bounces between tone and theme effortlessly. It made me laugh, cry, and think. I really liked how it incorporated a lot of harder science into the story (like in 'The Expanse,' people who grew up in space are more weak & tall, ...more
Alyson Fortowsky
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this because I saw a guy reading it on the train. He pointed to my manga and then pointed to his own. Obviously, this was a sign from the universe.

It's a satisfying sci-fi series with a fascinating premise. A bit disjointed the way it puts an intense focus on one character at a time and then relegates them to the background. Plot jumps from repetitive and slowly paced to bumpy action sequences, too. But there's something about it that reminds me of a Russian novel. I'm going to read the n
Alexa
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, space
Really appreciated the integration of actual space science and life support system tech into the world. Beautiful illustrations and concepts of space stations, settlements, and outer space. Didn't quite fall in love with the main character. While his characterization is interesting and provides an intriguing commentary on humanity's need to travel into space, the resolution of his conflict didn't feel...satisfying.

As with most space sci-fi, it could also use more female characters who are also
Gabriel C.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don't read much manga so I don't have much basis for comparison, but I felt pretty neutral about this example. The storyboarding and rendering was completely fine but not exciting or breathtaking in any way, the plotlines felt familiar and comfortable and expertly realized and not in any way challenging, and I came away (as I do increasingly often these days after reading contemporary fiction) wondering whether all we are here to do is fill time until we die.
Meepelous
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
While this volume was full of pretty interesting ideas and great art, the author's immaturity when it came to relationships with and depiction of women did end up knocking it down a star. While this is certainly in part due to personal bias, calling out Yukimura;s propensity towards cliche in this area is a fairly objective criticism IMHO.

That said, I really did enjoy a lot that this manga had to offer both graphically and idea wise. I will probably pick up the next volume.
Jesús
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, comic
(For the whole series) Entertaining hard-scifi manga about the life and dreams of a young astronaut that works as space garbage collector. However, the weird changes of personality suffered by the main character (and some of the secondary ones) in order to make him more interesting from a psychological point of view don't work at all, at least for me. Regarding the secondary plots, some of them are really good, but others are really boring.
Codepoetz
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Planetes is a surprisingly refreshing and poignant slice-of-life story set in space. The main characters are a wacky cast of working-class astronauts who are assigned to collect space junk orbiting the earth. I appreciated that this is a very realistic and believable near future astronaut story rather than some out-of-this-world magical science fiction tale.
Becky
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sf
I can't believe this is a debut manga! Dynamic artwork accompanies a sophisticated near-future SF story that's part space adventure, part slice-of-life comic.

Seriously, this is so beautifully drawn. After I finish Planetes, I'm looking forward to checking out Vinland Saga.
Kyle Breen
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really cool science fiction story, interesting look at a possible near future, and cool look at the dynamics space travel could have. im hopeful that perhaps real world space travel could reach thos level in 60 years.
Mark
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
We are surrounded by junk, on land and over the sea, also in space. Here's the stories about Yuri, an astronout whose personal mission is to find a memento from his deceased wife. She was killed in a spacecraft accident while orbiting the Earth.
Issei Miyata
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This manga is “Planetes”. The setting of this manga is the space. And the protagonist works in the space and he remove debris. This manga is so attractive. This manga tells us the importance of our life.

I like this manga, so I’m glad if you read this manga.
Collin Reynolds
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and lengthy graphic novel about resources and space exploration. A riveting storyline following a trio of well developed characters trying to avoid space debris, an environmental terrorist group and family expectations on their way to Jupiter.
Chris
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This is cool. I remember liking the anime series when I watched it years ago. Now I want to re-watch it.
Rebecca Ekmark
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I almost gave up on this, as the lead character, Hachimaki, is so desperately unlikable. However, he gets interesting near the end. Excellent art and world building! Looking forward to Vol. 2
« previous 1 3 next »

• Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #1)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 01 (20th Century Boys, #1)
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol. 1
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 (Saturn Apartments, #1)
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 6
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1
  • BIOMEGA バイオメガ 1 (Biomega Vol. 1)
  • Appleseed, Vol. 1: The Promethean Challenge
  • Ode to Kirihito
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1

Planetes (4 books)
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Planetes, Volume 3  (Planetes, #3)
  • Planetes Vol. 4