Start by marking “Interaction Ritual Chains” as Want to Read:
Interaction Ritual Chains

Interaction Ritual Chains

Sex, smoking, and social stratification are three very different social phenomena. And yet, argues sociologist Randall Collins, they and much else in our social lives are driven by a common force: interaction rituals. Interaction Ritual Chains is a major work of sociological theory that attempts to develop a "radical microsociology." It proposes that successful rituals cre ...more
Published July 25th 2005 by Princeton University Press (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Interaction Ritual Chains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interaction Ritual Chains

Andrew Marr
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was interested in reading this book because of my interest in the thought of René Girard & his understanding of group processes, especially scapegoating behavior. His data in his book "Violence" was really helpful. My interest was also raised because, as a Benedictine monk, ritual is an important part of life & I am interested in how ritual works out in daily life as well as in church ritual. I found Collins interesting and helpful. He identifies himself as a follower of Durkheim & ...more
Fred R
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For my money Collins is the best working sociologist. I think at times he overestimates the powers of social construction, but that's minor carping. As with any Collins book, this one gives you a powerful sociological model, which will order and make sense of a great swathe of life, as well as numerous fascinating investigations of whatever happened to catch Collins' eye when developing or ruminating upon that model.

We are inspired when we find ourselves attentive and responding to objects that
Julia Andersson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Used this book in writing my thesis in Sociology, I think its amazing.
Tanya
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Randall Collins in this book presents the notion of an "interaction ritual chain". He considers IR chains to be "a model of motivation that pulls and pushes individuals from situation to situation, steered by the market-like patterns of how each participant's stock of social resources --their emotional energy and their membership symbols (or cultural capital) accumulated in previous IRs - meshes with those of each person they encounter".

In this sense, it is a solid argument for the location of t
Rhiannon Grant
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A long but rich book with clear explanations and examples of his theory.
Julio César
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Si querés leer un excelente libro de teoría sociológica de 500 páginas, adelante con Cadenas de rituales de interacción. El autor apuesta por una "microsociología radical" de los rituales de interacción y sostiene que todos los aspectos de la vida social se pueden comprender en términos de ellos. Los seres humanos buscamos "energía emocional", y los RI que más nos la provean son los que repetiremos y añoraremos.
La segunda parte tiene "Aplicaciones", en la cual toma cuatro objetos empíricos: el
James
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half, about the idea itself, was really interesting; I especially liked the chapter on emotional energy microeconomics, and I still think a lot about this stuff almost a year after reading it.

In the second half, where he applies IRC to specific domains, well... he kind of spun off into ranting about straw men (something about "biologists think the only motivation for sex, including in humans, is physical pleasure"), which convinced me to stop reading.

But hey, he also has a good blog.
Erin
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
I devoured this one in an afternoon, but I'm a nerd. This is probably not the book to read if you're unfamiliar with the field, but if you have some background, his work on microsociology is marvelous.
Michelle Jones
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the few paradigm-shifting books I have read. Collins’s ideas are extremely intuitive and apply to macro and micro levels equally nicely. Once I read this, I couldn’t “unsee” interaction ritual chains everywhere I looked.
ne
Oct 08, 2014
Adrian M
Aug 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dr. Randall Collins is an American sociologist who has been influential in both his teaching and writing. He has taught in many notable universities around the world and his academic works have been translated into various languages. Collins is currently Emeritus Professor of Sociology at the University of Pennsylvania. He is a leading contemporary social theorist whose areas of expertise include ...more