Start by marking “Last Dance” as Want to Read:
Last Dance

Last Dance

(Carter House Girls #8)

In the final book of bestselling author Melody Carlson's Carter House Girls series, the Carter House girls are making prom plans and competing for boyfriends, as well as fighting for the limelight in a Mother's Day fashion show. With graduation and last good-byes around the corner, will they resolve old differences or part ways as enemies?
Published August 1st 2010 by Zondervan (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Last Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Dance

Start your review of Last Dance
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“With six teenage girls living under one roof, things are bound to get interesting. Mix six teenaged girls and one '60s fashion icon (retired, of course) in an old Victorian-era boarding home. Add guys and dating, a little high-school angst, and huge personalities ... and you've got the Carter House Girls. With graduation looming, the Carter House girls are struggling with college visits, prom dress warfare, and relationships that are going from bad to worse. Mrs. Carter ups the
Katie
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Melody Carlson is a wonderful writer and she weaves Christianity throughout the books seamlessly. You don't feel overpowered by her message, but are still able to learn and it makes a positive impact on you. Melody Carlson knows how teens operate and what they want to read. This is probably why she has written over 200 books.

Now onto the book review.

This is the 8th book and final book in the series. The whole book revolves around college, prom, and becoming prom queen. It was a little slow at
Kaycie Schrader
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is the best series I have ever read!!!
Angela
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I debated on a 3 but I did love the book. I do wish the ending had been a bit different.
Erin
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHY DOES THIS SERIES HAVE TO END!?! When I first started the series, I had my reservations. I thought it might be a little too girly and silly. But it was so good! I really want to know what happens to all the girls and their friends when they go off to college. Carlson left the ending fairly open, which is something I love when authors do but at the same time I really hate it. I hate it because I don't know exactly what became of each character's life, but at the same time I love it because I ...more
Lianna
Feb 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was disappointing. The last few books of this series got more annoying by each book. D.J. got on my nerves. I was interested in her and Lane.. but nothing happened with that. Her decision about Yale.. ok, D.J., you really didn't choose it because of Conner. I don't believe you.

The whole thing with Casey. Really.. Really? The talk about abortion in this was cringe worthy. Uh.. Talking about killing babies and stuff to a series for young girls. Give me a break. Casey talking about
Tatum
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, but not as good as the others. Of course, I loved the message, but some other things bothered me.

I wish we saw more development with Eliza and Casey, and I wish we heard more of Kirti... She was barely in this book! Also, DJ got on my nerves. It seemed like ALL THE TIME she talked about how she worked out and did sports so she was big and strong. Shut up DJ no one cares about how athletic you are. And DJ was ALWAYS comparing herself to the others! (view spoiler)
Kendall
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I had mixed feelings about this series. I liked the plot a lot. I like fun chick lit books like these after reading something intense such as a dystopian novel. But on the other hand I did not like the Christian aspects of it. I have nothing wrong against Christian books, but the way Carlson wrote it into her books was not to my liking. Whenever something was going wrong all the girls did was pray and it was suddenly fixed. Being raised a Catholic I know that this is not realistic. Even if you ...more
This conclusion to the Carter House Girls series was pretty good. I felt like it wrapped up things well and the drama and conflict were handled adequately. The characters did not make a lasting impression on me though and at the end of the series I didn't feel elation or joy that the girls were now grown up. I thought some of the girls were still obnoxious and I wasn't sad to see them go. But I did wish some things had worked out differently. Not sure I'd recommend the whole series unless you ...more
Jerry
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

It's graduation and prom time for DJ and her housemates. Everyone is excited…but life starts to change rather quickly for more than one of the girls. It's been a while since I read the penultimate Carter House novel, so, this feels more like a reunion movie than a series finale. Still, the writing, story, and such are as good as usual from Mrs. Carlson. As with the other books in the series, the themes are not for children…but, by now, that's to be expected.

Score: 3.75/5
$hanel
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book in the Carter House Girls series! its JUICY! All six of the girls are planning for the prom, having boyfriend problems and planning graduation. Not to mention the fact that Grandmother is planning an over the top Mother`s Day fashion show for designer Dylan Marceau. The girls all have to look into colleges too. As Carter House comes to an end some friendships will grow and others will fade. Will all six Carter House Girls have a good or bad end of the year? BEST BOOK IN ...more
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love these books, and am kind of sad that the series has ended. However, I read book 2 in the author's next series and was pleased to have a little visit with some of the characters from the Carter House Girls series!

I don't agree with everything in the book or the actions the characters choose to take, but it was a fun story and held my attention.
Alex
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
A good end to the series, although it left way too much up in the air for me. I know what happens a little to Taylor and Eliza due to their cameos in the Runway series I'm currently reading, but what about the rest? What happens to DJ, Kriti or especially Casey? How can it just end like that?

Also, something way worse should have happened to Madison. What a witch.
Danni
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book but it wasn't exactly my style. Drugs, teenage pregnancy, backbiting. It was short, but it was stuff that I hadn't dealt with in years. It was also the last book in the series so I was sort of lost.
Katherine
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kat-s-favorites
This book was very well written. I think that it was a good way to end off the Carter house girls series even though it was kind of sad because they all were grown up and leaving the house i liked how everyone was reunited and happy.
Olive
tz in a world of its own
Brooke
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i think this one was one of my favorites. not to much drama it was good.
Lauren  Tomlinson
I'm kinda sad this was the last book in this series. It was a really fun, easy, quick read.
Jaimers
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great ending to a good series! But as usual at the end of a series, i wish there were more!
Jessica Jackson
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did this series have to end? It needs more books! I really enjoyed this series! It is an eye-opener, and I enjoyed every page of Melody Carson's book.
Cookielover
Why did I have to end?
Thea girls were my sisters!!!!
Okay, um, really good book.
Lindsey
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the best, I think the author should write more!
Natalia
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad they all make friends, it does surprise me that Casey, Kirti, and Eliza don't become christians.
Aimee
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aimee by: Emma
This was a great end to a great series.
Leah
I thought this one wasn't as good as the other books in the series. It seemed too wrapped up and not as much development as the others in the series.
Hannah
Emily DB
Nov 13, 2012
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 25, 2015 01:42PM
! 5 12 Mar 31, 2011 08:38PM

• Why College Matters to God: A Student's Introduction to The Christian College Experience
  • Questioning Evangelism: Engaging People's Hearts the Way Jesus Did
  • Snow Treasure
  • Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer
  • 24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week
  • A Grief Observed
  • Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace, #9)
  • All I Ever Need Is You (Seattle Sullivans #6; The Sullivans #14)
  • Definitely a Sadist (Sadist Lover, #3)
  • Sadist Lover (Sadist Lover, #1)
  • Complicated Love (Sadist Lover, #2)
  • Turning Point
  • A Farewell to Charms (Princess for Hire, #3)
  • Beauchamp Hall
  • Summer Island
  • The Royal Treatment (Princess for Hire, #2)
  • All These Lives
  • Princess for Hire (Princess for Hire, #1)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the

Carter House Girls (8 books)
  • Mixed Bags (Carter House Girls, #1)
  • Stealing Bradford (Carter House Girls, #2)
  • Homecoming Queen (Carter House Girls, #3)
  • Viva Vermont! (Carter House Girls, #4)
  • Lost in Las Vegas (Carter House Girls, #5)
  • New York Debut (Carter House Girls, #6)
  • Spring Breakdown (Carter House Girls, #7)
“Here was this really nice guy who happened to be uber-shy... and with just a little encouragement, he was suddenly smiling and joking and having fun. Really, what had taken them so long?” 6 likes