Start by marking “On My Way to Paradise” as Want to Read:
On My Way to Paradise

On My Way to Paradise

Originally published under the author name Dave Wolverton

In a world of ever-worsening crisis, Angelo Osic is an anomaly; a man who cares about others. One day he aids a stranger...and calls down disaster, for the woman called Tamara is also a woman on the run, the only human with the knowledge that will save Earth from the artificial intelligences plotting to overthrow it.
Published December 1st 1989 by Bantam Spectra (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about On My Way to Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On My Way to Paradise

Start your review of On My Way to Paradise
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
Sometimes the best books are found entirely by accident.

I found On My Way to Paradise almost completely by accident. Larry Correia, the author of the larger than life Monster Hunter International series posted on his blog that Dave Wolverton, an author I had never heard of, was in dire straights and needed help. Wolverton's son had been in a longboarding accident and was in a coma. Further, according to Correia, Wolverton was something of a "godfather" to fiction writers in Utah
Alicia
Apr 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Wolverton/Farland, I will meet you at WIFYR in a few weeks and I will be pleasant to your face if I have to interact with you. However, because I know you won't read this review and no one else will either, I'm not going to shy away from writing my thoughts out online. I've got to get this off my chest and my husband is tired of hearing about it.

Most books have some kind of redeemable value. There are few I can think of that have no redeemable traits. Congratulations, Dave. Your book is one
S. James Nelson
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first non-Runelords novel of David Farland's that I've read. It is, I believe, his first novel. I am struck by several things.

First, I think Dave's writing style has either changed much over the years, or he writes differently when writing fantasy. I'll have to read another of his science fiction novels to see. Either way, I like his Runelords writing style better. The scenes are more grounded in physical location and description. I really feel like in the Runelords books I have a
Phillp
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, I've read it three times. Still think this is one of the best 'future war' books created.
Derek Pegritz
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
I first read this book when it originally came out in 1989. I was sixteen years old, and obsessed with sci-fi that dealt with xenobiology, genetic engineering, and--being that I was a teenage boy--fightin' and killin'. There was plenty of all of the above in On My Way to Paradise, but what I remembered most about it was its interesting depiction of future Latino and Japanese societies. I didn't remember much, save that I'd really loved the book at the time...so a week ago, I picked up the same ...more
Margit
Nov 28, 2019 added it
Shelves: sff2019
So completely uninteresting I couldn't be bothered to finish it. Read just enough to know it wasn't my cup of tea and that it most likely wouldn't get any better further on.
Bill
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Oh, so sad that this has been overlooked by so many people.

It's likely out of print and only available on ebay or your favorite
used bookstore haunts, but if you're a science fiction fan you owe it
to yourself to add this to your must-read list.
I read it about 20 years ago so can't give any more details other than the fact that even looking at the cover at Amazon gives me such a good feeling, remembering how I felt while reading it.
You know that joy of reading, where you can't wait to pick the
Adrien
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A pretty heavy trip, man. Super violent but also soulful. When was the last time you read a sci-fi novel that started in South america and ended on a distant planet colonized by two warring neo-Japanese factions?
André
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this with a Latino accent; brilliant book that didn't led me by the hand. Full of twists and turns until the very end.
Remy
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting, well written, fast paced, unpredictable, and gripping story. An intense science fiction novel that takes you on a ride you couldn't possibly predict, with strong side characters and a fascinating development of the main character, initially going down the nihilistic take many post-modern novels do, but with an uplifting twist. The way this book is written, reading it is like having a movie play in your head, it is so vivid and impossible to put down. And there are so many interesting ...more
Rob
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, sci-fi
My all time favourite book.
Not only a great, well-written Sci-Fi novel, and a deviation from the "reluctant hero" trope, but an in-depth examination of the human psyche; how different societies mould their inhabitants; the highs and lows of love; and how the human spirit can survive and overcome the most extreme circumstances.

(Warning, this book does contain detailed descriptions of violent acts, and a vicious rape)
Brendan
This book reminds me somewhat of stories like Old Man's War and The Forever War. It's another science fiction war story that addresses the effects of war on the individuals who participate in it.

I really didn't care for the prose style in which the book was written. I get what the author is going for, it certainly feels like something written by the character who narrates, but it still comes off feeling somewhat stilted and awkward. As a result, it's hard to empathize with the main character,
Rachel
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
So, I didn't like this novel, but I appreciated the science and thinking that went behind some of the technology in it. I kept reading it because some positive reviewers said it was like, the best book ever. Well, now I've read it and I disagree.

The bulk of the book is about mercenaries training in space (think a grown-up Ender's Game)and killing people in various ways. The protagonist, Angelo, is aware of how revolting this violence is, which made me a little hopeful for the book. The ending is
Feda
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is an unpredictable story depicting a violent and chaotic future, that seems quite possible. The book explores morality through a main character who is an unwilling fringe player in multiple major power struggles. Locations are divided between a future South America, a space ship and Baker, a distant planet occupied with a society modeled by the ancient Japanese culture. It is not a complete picture of the world in which the events take place and only hints on events in other parts of ...more
Brooke Lee
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. While it dealt with familiar themes the are found all over literature the setting in which they were addressed was very different. I can't say I would recommend this for everyone because I don't think it is everyone's style, but it is super interesting and different. The one thing I didn't love is that there was a lot of exposition that didn't seem necessary and the mind blowingly awesome part of the book didn't come until the last 150/200 pages. (The book is 500 pages.) The ...more
Courtney
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise but the guy is really racist when he talks about Japanese people. It's like he took their cultural isolation on Baker as a way to exaggerate all these really racist stereotypes about their culture. I was surprised by the fact that almost all the characters were South American, and not farcically characterized (for the most part). There were some interesting philosophical ideas on compassion and the human capacity for violence and evil, but I wasn't too enthralled with the ...more
Ada Macey
I'm really not sure how to rate this book. I love the concepts, I love the characters, and most of all I love the exploration of "self", morality and memories that it plays with.

Yet for all of that, it lacked a compelling story. It was a series of events that existed purely as a mechanic to introduce the concepts the story plays with. That's an approach well suited to a short story, but in a novel, it had the unfortunate effect of making the story drag on.

I'd love to see a much tighter version
Taylor
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Didn't care for this. Unreliable narrator who has also had his memories and motivations messed with means I never could figure out why he did anything at all. I liked the world-building, there was some cool stuff there. Also liked that the cultures represented were not bog-standard. But slogging through a book where you have little if any empathy for the protagonist needs more that world-building and cultural representations tocarry it. There has to be something else. And I just did not find it.
Eero
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, story-bundle
This book is hard to rate. The twist at the end changed the way I viewed the protagonist, whom I did not like or identify with for the bulk of the narrative.

This ebook version (part of a StoryBundle) had a number of probably OCR-related errors that kept distracting me, for instance "r" instead of "I" and so on. Even more distracting was the use of the incorrect plural "hovercrafts" that kept mocking me with its blatant wrongness. Very annoying. (Craft is the plural of craft, unless you are
Thera Grady
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember exactly when I read this....the summer of 1991 maybe...? Anyway, no matter....it was the first truly science fiction book I ever read as an adult. I could NOT PUT IT DOWN! This was an amazing adventure that hooked me in and I enjoyed it immensely. I had forgotten the title and I haven't read it since then, so I have no recollection of very many details, but I can remember the feelings I had reading it...amazing! I will be reading it again for sure. :)
Carmie
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not sure what to think of this book. I've read Farland's other books (many times) and I had no idea that he was more than a fantasy writer. This book succeeded in hooking me and bringing me into a somewhat foreign and alien world in a very quick and thorough manner.

I did enjoy it, though, and I definitely enjoyed the twist at the end which I did not see coming.

The only reason I rated it 3 stars out of 4 was because I felt it dragged at times. It was a bit long.
Shean Pao
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterful. David Farland knows his stuff. No wonder he won awards for this book. I don't need to tell you what happens. Plenty of other reviews have done that. What I will say is Farland's characters linger with you as if you had truly met them. They are fully realized personalities and you will come to like them very much.
Davo
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts well, with some interesting ideas, but by the end it drags on and on, veering off into long passages philosophising about the human condition. I've not read the short story it was based on, but I suspect I'd probably like that a lot better.
Daniel
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting ideas, but I just wasn't enraptured by it. Reminds me of Old Mans War among others. Worth a look if your looking for a more cerebral Sci-Fi book that deals with how war affects an individual.
William Tracy
The writing is very good, and it's easy to tell that Dave Wolverton would go places (this is his first book), but in the end, it was too long for it's own story and got far too preachy near the final pages.
Adam R.
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing in a few ways: 1) it wasn't completely depressing, and 2) it was linear and simple to follow.
Eero
This book is the same as the same title by David Farland. The entries should be combined.
Charl
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y2014
Very, very character driven, with lots of self-examination and exploration.

Which, unfortunately, isn't my cup of chai, but if it's yours, give it a try.
Pam
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scifi
It started well, but the last 20 percent or so dragged with all the inner monologue and exposition. The ebook version is also badly edited and formatted.
dgw
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, own
Rather a lot of typos and mistakes. Not sure if a print edition would be better edited, but this ebook kept tripping me up with stuff I had to mentally correct before it made sense.

• Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw
  • Narconomics: How to Run a Drug Cartel
  • Platform
  • Sword at Sunset
  • Dandelion Wine
  • The Eagle of the Ninth
  • Heart of a Dog
  • The Lantern Bearers
  • Stranger and Stranger (Emily the Strange Novels, #2)
  • Elysium Fire (Prefect Dreyfus Emergency #2)
  • Vox
  • Looking Inside
  • The Day of the Triffids
  • Blood on Snow (Blood on Snow, #1)
  • The Sacrifice of Sunshine Girl (Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #3)
  • The Golem's Eye (Bartimaeus, #2)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • Because She Loves Me
Dave Wolverton (born 1957) is a science fiction author who also goes under the pseudonym David Farland for his fantasy works. He currently lives in St. George, Utah with his wife and five children.

(Wikipedia entry: Dave Wolverton)