Start by marking “Cain's Redemption: A Story of Hope and Transformation in America's Bloodiest Prison” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Formerly known as America's bloodiest prison, the Angola State Penitentiary is home to 5,000 inmates. Under the leadership of Warden Burl Cain, regular knife fights have turned into Bible studies. Cain is a strong believer in the ability of the Gospel to turn the most incorrigible of sinners into productive, moral citizens.
Published August 1st 2005 by Northfield Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cain's Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cain's Redemption

Jessica Adams
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. It's about Burl Cain, warden and Louisiana state penitentiary Angola.

The transformative power of God is beautifully portrayed in the stories of this prison and its prisoners. Though heartbreaking at times , the overall theme of the book is of hope and victory - regardless of circumstances.
Shelley Adams
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an encouraging account of the power of God at work in the most unlikely of places. Highly recommend it!
Kym McNabney
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very inspiring story. A well written book that will send you on an emotional rollercoaster. This book IS NOT filled with a pack of lies, as one review seems to think. I met Dennis Shere, and Warden Cain, along with many of the inmates and those that work at Angola. Of course Angola is not a perfect place, run by perfect people, or has only perfect inmates. I don't believe that anyone ever made that claim. But what it is, is an amazing place with amazing things happening. Anyone who do ...more
Marilyn
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book (2005). Warden Burl Cain of the Louisiana State Prison is in contol of over 5,000 prisoners (not to mention the number of employees required to make it all happen!). Any Louisiana tried prisoner whose sentencing is for over 40 years will be assigned to Angola (LSP). Angola is over 18,000 acres, and houses 7 separate prisons within its boundaries. Warden Cain's mother told him that he was sent there by God, and that he needed to make sure no prisoner went to his death w/o ...more
Kim
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read for my husband and I. We read it together to fill the time we spend driving to our prison ministry. It was great to read the stories of lives that are changing in the prison communities. As a society, we tend to focus on those who are unchanging, those who have lost all hope and have no desire to gain it back. It was incredible to read about the AMAZING things happening in what used to be one of the roughest prisons in America, to hear inspirational stories of men who see th ...more
Amy
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring. From someone who has been on both sides of that gate and both sides of the law, this book really touched me. I believe in what Warden Cain is doing there at Angola and I think that prisons everywhere should follow suit. Very nicely written and hard to put down.
Arthur
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific book! What an insightful look into prison life, specifically in Angola! Warden Burl Cain's approach to moral rehabilitation has changed the culture of hopelessness and violence into somewhat of a biosphere of hope and purpose, where moral rehabilitation starts and ends with the power of God to transform even the worst of criminals. Warden Cain's understanding that rehabilitating criminals requires much more than teaching them to read and write appears to have been the impetus for the ch ...more
Bridget B
I read this in preparation for a trip to visit Angola (the Louisiana State Penitentiary) in January 2015. I had real trouble with the position that Warden Cain takes -- that everyone in prison is inherently immoral because moral people don't commit crimes. I completely disagree with that perspective. Nonetheless, the insight into how this prison has reduced violence by way of seminary teachings is interesting, even if the reader may have trouble with the warden's viewpoints or personal positions ...more
Laura Ritchie
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently visited Angola for work and met Warden Cain. I have to say this was one of the nicest prisons I have ever seen. The inmates were very respectful and I was impressed with the way they interacted with our group. The programs at this institution really do seem to give inmates a sense of purpose and do good things for not only the prison community but for the larger community.

I liked the book. I liked it a lot.
Missy Graf
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this inspirational story of how God works through ordinary people to do extraordinary things. In a day when Christianity is persecuted, Warden Cain is able to institute moral rehabilitation in one of the nation's most dangerous prisons despite all the separation of church and state. Only God could orchestrate what is happening at Angola.
Scott K
An excellent read on how not only a prison was transformed but many lives of the inmates who call Angola home were transformed through moral rehabilitation which it self came through Jesus Christ.

I've been to Angola a few times and each visit is a life remembering time sitting with and getting to know the men of Angola and hearing how God has changed them
Tiffani
A story well-worth being told, and well-worth being read. The delivery, however, was disappointing. I would recommend it none-the-less. It may well shake up your views of life in prison (or what life in prison COULD be).
Rebeccah Smith
Interesting read but very one-sided. The author mostly ignores the numerous scandals involving Warden Burl Cain. I have a hard time reconciling the Warden portrayed in the book with the one I read about in the newspapers.
Randy Gibbon
Burl Cain is doing it the right way.

very educational about prison life and the challenges both inmates and Warden face.
a must read if you are from Louisiana or have interest in Angola.
Anita Lewis
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very interesting. Angola prison was known as the worst prison in the US and this is the story of Warden Burl Cain and how he changed it.
Kjeanee
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Great story, poorly written
Pixismiler
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about the good side of Warden Burl Cain. We'll leave it at that. Some stories in the book are very touching. Some stories in the book are hilarious and true to life.
Sophie
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. The beginning was interesting and the last few chapters were good too becuase of the stories. The rest was kind of repetitive.
Leslie
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book about Angola, the Louisiana State Prison, and Warden Cain who changed things there for the better.
Shawn Liner
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching_better
Great book. Every voter should read this book. Really opened my eyes to prison and rehabilitation.
Lee T.
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A glowing report of Warden Burl Cain's transformation of the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola, considered the most bloody prison in America.
Jenna
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little preachy at times, but overall a very good read.
Jen
Feb 08, 2015
Jessica
Nov 14, 2011
Carly Thompson
rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2015