Start by marking “The Spy Went Dancing: My Further Adventures as an Undercover Agent” as Want to Read:
The Spy Went Dancing: My Further Adventures as an Undercover Agent

The Spy Went Dancing: My Further Adventures as an Undercover Agent

(The Spy #2)

Published February 26th 1990 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published February 21st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Spy Went Dancing, please sign up.
Alan Cook I recommend reading "The Spy Wore Red" first, because it sets the stage for Aline's later books. Her later books refer back to people and incidents in…moreI recommend reading "The Spy Wore Red" first, because it sets the stage for Aline's later books. Her later books refer back to people and incidents in the first book and having the background will give you a clearer picture of what is happening. That being said, it's possible to read any of her books as a standalone.(less)

Start your review of The Spy Went Dancing: My Further Adventures as an Undercover Agent
Sheree
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 12-112
Recommended to Sheree by: My Mom
The Countess of Romanones has a way of sharing history, personal autobiography nuggets and the life of a CIA agent in "The Spy Went Dancing." This lady is a heroine and should be applauded for all she did to help our country during the cold war. Often her husband had no idea what was going on and would get mad at her for lying to him and hiding dangerous details of her day from him. Her book is comedic, a thriller and full of intrigue. She was able to convince even the most dangerous of spies of ...more
Alan Cook
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aline, or Tiger as she is known in the spy world, is now married to Luis, a rich Spanish Count, but when duty calls... She knows everybody worth knowing in Spain and France, including the Duchess of Windsor (Wallis Simpson), so when she is called back into action she recruits the Duchess as a spy to help uncover the mole who is passing secrets of the CIA to Russia. Although there is certainly adventure to be had, a lot of the book is taken up describing castles, fabulous parties and what people ...more
Gabrielle Winandy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Barb
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sequel to the "The Spy Wore Red." I think I liked the sequel even better than the first! This one was a lot more exciting. There are two parts to the book. Part 1 contains a mission Aline was involved in, but had to be dismissed and then twenty years later she finds herself in another mission that is intertwining with the mission from twenty years prior! Again, I loved this book because it is a true story. This book also went into detail about the upper class of Spanish society and included real ...more
Briony
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Even better than the spy wore red. Who ever said that fact is stranger than fiction must have read this book, and yet everything fits together so perfectly in the end that it almost seems like it couldn't be true. (But it is.) I also really enjoyed the story of how she fell in love and married her husband. But I want to know what happened to Caslida. Did she ever forgive her? I also loved learning about all the famous people she knew. You really get a sense of their personalities that you ...more
Anne Marie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Diana
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good fun. Interesting and exciting memoir/spy story by Aline Griffith, Countess of Romanones. This is a continuation of her first book "The Spy Wore Red" which dealt with her recruitment, training, and early experiences as an undercover agent for the OSS in Spain during WWII when she was young and single.

"The Spy Went Dancing" takes place during the 60's Cold War after her marriage to a wealthy Spanish count. The OSS has now been replaced by the CIA with many of the same operatives including her
Trish Boese
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4* I loved Aline's story of her romance and marriage to Luis in Spain. The cases in this book span 2 decades. After many years of marriage, Aline has a chance to try her hand at espionage again, uncovering part of the same network she was after during World War II. Because it is non-fiction, the story is sometimes unpredictable, with many moving characters. Not all parts are easy to follow, but this book was fascinating.
Jeanne Hedge
Hard to believe

The books in this series are supposed to be based on fact, and this is no exception. As entertainment I enjoyed it. The "adventures" with the Duchess of Windsor were pretty hard to swallow though.
Jen
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars
Jill Miclean
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun trilogy of a female spy during WWII who hobnobbed with the Nazi elite.
Elaine
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Story was just not believable. Writing style poor.

Doña María Aline Griffith Dexter, Countess of Romanones, Grandee of Spain (born New York, 1923 is a Spanish-American aristocrat, socialite, and writer who started at the US Office of Strategic Services (OSS) as a cipher clerk during World War II. She has been a member of the International Best Dressed List since 1962.
Miss Griffith (as she then was) was working as a model when she was recruited to the OSS and sent to Spain, where she later met and
Karen Mosley
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Her first book, "The Spy Wore Red", was better in my mind. It was fun to read of another "spy" adventure for Aline, but much of the book described the lives of the rich and famous, with masquerade balls, hunting sorties, dinner parties and meeting other rich and famous people. Even Jackie O was invited to the festival in Spain, not because anyone had ever met her, but she was famous and had the right chic and society savoir faire. The utterly boring life of the Duchess of Windsor was a ...more
Roberta
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, autobiography
I'm actually enjoying this series more than I expected. When I started the series I didn't think that the Countess's adventures were actually true but after reading the first two books in the series I started to think that some of it is true after all. This book had a lot of information about life in Spain from her personal point of view which I found a lot more interesting than the European history class that I was forced to sit through in high school. There are also some photos in this book ...more
Nfreynolds
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good sequel to The Spy Wore Red. Perfect travel reading, although I couldn't put it down. Again, I loved the descriptions of her lifestyle in post-World War 2 Spain. She is definitely in a special aristocratic milieu, friends with the Duchess of Windsor and entertaining Jackie. The detective/spy part of the story kept me turning pages...but then I loved Nancy Drew books when growing up. Easy reading.
Mary
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of four exciting spy stories based on the experiences of Aline Griffith, a young American model recruited by the OSS during WWII to infiltrate the highest levels of Spanish society. For this adventure, she needed a unique partner, the Duchess of Windsor! A gifted storyteller, she shares glimpses into the Windsors' lives, as well as tidbits about time spent with Jackie Kennedy, Elizabeth Taylor, the Rothschilds, who figure in a number of her stories, and Audrey Hepburn.
Julie
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as the first book, but the mysteries still keep you reading. I thought there was a lot more insight into the lives of the rich in Spain and France, and although interesting, it kind of seemed repetitive after a bit with their schedules, etc. every day. I think I liked the small story that was within the bigger story the best.
Robbie
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent one: Gotta give the same review as the first. Sometimes the media are idiots. Excellent book; lots of critics that went through her old OSS/CIA file after-the-fact and stated she embellished on the books. Do you REALLY think intelligence agencies document EVERYTHING in a file? Great book!
Lisa
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It is 1966. An ace operative, code named Tiger, is called out of semiretirement by the CIA for a crucial mission. Tiger is Aline, countess of Romanones, an internationally prominent socialite who can charm people into saying more than they intend to. The successor to Aline's The Spy Wore Red. Love this book as well! I wish she had more experiences to share.
Suzy
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an enthralling spy novel. I never wanted to put it down. It is well written and based on actual events from the author. Aline is a former American spy and now a Countess of Spain. She is approached to do another job and can't resist. Her addiction to the job puts strains on her marriage. It is mildly graphic in a couple parts.
Cassie
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is such a fun sequel. Based again on a true story, I cannot believe all the adventure in this one woman's life! So fun and entertaining. I also feel like it is so good for me to learn more about Europe, specifically Spain's culture and customs.
Elizabeth
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm in LOVE with Countess Aline, with Madrid, with this book, with gripping spy stories! :D Although not quite as good as The Spy Wore Red as far as spy-story part goes,I love how this one tells about Spanish royalty/culture more and her esposo Luis. :)
Christine
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I like to read fast to find out what happens in the end, but I ended up missing a lot of important information and had to go back at the end to figure out who was who. So, take your time, after all, we know Aline lives to write these down later on!
Misti
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really liked these her true stories she wrote about when she was working for the CIA. I would have to say that "The Spy Went Dancing" was my favorite. But I would reccommend reading them in order.
Susanne
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not as compelling as the other two books by the same author; the story is almost impossible to follow and isn't rewarding in the end. Interesting glimpse into the life of the rich, including an amazing chapter set at the Rothschild family chateau.
Mick
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was much more exciting than her previous one & could be titles Aline's big adventures. The quote I'm remembering though is, "Never risk being seen with someone you have no logical reason to know. If you're being shodowed, the enemy would know you are both agents." Yeah, that my motto.
Ashley
May 25, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the second of three spy novels by Aline. I liked the first one more, but did enjoy seeing some of the characters again in the second book (I also really appreciated the photos she inserted in the novel). Good read, and will read her third one next.
Carolyn Alvey
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe it took me so long to finally buy and read this book. I think the series is fasinating. "The Spy Wore Red" is the first of three books and tells the true story of an american woman who was a U.S. spy during WWII. I highly recommend it if you like WWII stories.
Carla
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Another interesting spy tale from the Countess. I like the descriptions of high society life and also Aline is so human...not a super spy like in much of spy-novel fiction...but she gets the job done.
Karen
Nov 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I liked the first one and this one was even better. It's fun to read an actual true spy novel. I found it very interesting to see the kinds of people Aline met and was friends with like Jackie Kennedy, Audrey Hepburn and such. Can't wait to get the third one.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Funny memes and pictures: Include SpongeBob memes, Pokemon memes, Minecraft memes and Cat memr
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • The Weddings
  • The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • The Hive Queen (Wings of Fire, #12)
  • Goddess of The Hunt
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • In Five Years
  • MEMES: FUNNY MEMES from the Magnificent Memes Machine (Dank Memes 2019 Book 2)
  • Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3)
  • Shades of Prophecy (Lela Trilogy #3)
  • Parachutes
  • The Aviary (The Uncaged Series Book 1)
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • The Dare: A Dark Erotic Novella
Doña María Aline Griffith Dexter, Countess of Romanones, Grandee of Spain (born Pearl River, NY, 1923) is an American married to a Spanish aristocrat, socialite, writer and spy. She married the Count of Quintanilla in 1947 and they later became the Count and Countess of Romanones.

Aline was born in 1923 in New York, was working as a model when she was recruited to become an OSS agent in Spain

The Spy (3 books)