Start by marking “I Dreamed of Flying Like a Bird: My Adventures Photographing Wild Animals from a Helicopter” as Want to Read:

Climb aboard a helicopter with National Geographic photographer Robert Haas and journey all over the world in search of wild animals and exotic places. Cruise over the savanna grasslands of Africa and watch from above as lions hunt buffalos, one of the few "fair fights" in the African wilderness. Enjoy the spectacle as brilliant pink flamingos run faster and faster along t ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about I Dreamed of Flying Like a Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Dreamed of Flying Like a Bird

Robin
Amazing photographs and a very accessible narrative by wildlife photographer Robert Haas. Though at first it seems glamorous, all of the gear, safety precautions and cold made me appreciate the task more. Now I might like to accompany him on a trip, but don't have a desire to be an aerial photographer, hanging out of a plane, wearing two safety harnesses and multiple layers of closes, even a ski mask, to stay warm. I'm glad someone had this dream, because the pictures are amazing. Interesting ho ...more
Abby Johnson
Aug 14, 2010 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blogged
Robert B. Haas describes his adventures photographing animals from low-flying planes and helicopters, accompanying the text with some of his stunning photos. While I wish more info had been included on the day-to-day parts of his job, the pictures alone will draw kids in. While the text would probably be for kids in grades 3 and up, younger kids will enjoy looking at the cool photos and this book will appeal to a wide range of ages. Recommended for animal lovers young and old.

More on the blog:
Peacegal
Jan 14, 2011 Peacegal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humane-education
Astonishing and unique wildlife photos define this juvenile nonfiction book. (Wait until you see the flamingo flock that has landed in the shape of a giant flamingo!) This book also models the possibility of a career in wildlife photography for adventure-minded youngsters. The introduction describes the photographer’s ethical code never to harm the animals he “captures” on film.
Literacy Group
Robert Haas is an aerial photographer who takes photos from a helicopter. In his book, he talks includes beautiful photos he took and talks about what they saw and experienced as well as a little about the animals.

Grade level 2-5
Heather
Heather
Feb 02, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Amazing photography. Beautiful to look at but also very interesting for kids to read.
Awjtf
Aug 15, 2015 Awjtf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Beautiful photographs! I loved this book!
Christiane
Astonishing wildlife photographs from a National Geographic photographer, all taken from the air. Animals include lions, flamingos, crocodiles, whales, and hungry bears catching salmon.
Naomi Blackburn
Jul 14, 2015 Naomi Blackburn rated it liked it
The stunning photos are what made this book stand out. There were some really unusual ones that were partnered with stories behind them and facts about the wild kingdom. Probably 2 to 5th graders.
Angie
Mar 20, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-non-fic
Super cool photos ... he takes them from an airplane or helicopter.

Possible tie-ins to lessons on predators and prey. Not a huge research help but still ... get this one for the photos!
Tammy Flanders
Tammy Flanders rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2010
Rena
Rena rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Elaine Bearden
g2/3-5
Pretty amazing photography. Groups of the same animals form patterns like a piece of art from this guy's helicopter. Neat just to pore over. (I've been using that phrase a lot today.)
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2011
Apr 07, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2011
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2010
Chenoa
Chenoa rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Menna
Menna rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Minerva
Minerva rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2012
Marylou
Marylou rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2011