Start by marking “Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #6)

Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #6)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  433 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Fashions fade, but death is eternal in Deadly Threads--Agatha finalist Jane K. Cleland's irresistible new blend of vintage and vengeance.

Published April 12th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Threads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Threads

Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I've been into reading fluff lately and this cozy mystery certainly qualifies. Maybe it's time for me to try something a little more substantial again.

This book was okay, but that's really about the most I can say for it. It is told in the voice of Josie Prescott, the antique store owner and antiques appraiser who just can't seem to stop tripping over bodies. The problem is that, for me at least, her voice is just not very interesting. The dialogue is wooden and unbelievable and the characters a
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am done with this series. The author is doing cut & paste from one story to another. The events in every story are the same. You can predict just when Wes will call and say "not over the phone, we have to meet"
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good mystery story
Recommended to AJ by: The four previous in series
29 chapters/275 pages

Book Summary—Josie Prescott’s back in the murder business, though her company specializes in antiques. This time, the murder of Josie Prescott’s good friend and fellow vintage-clothing shopper/aficionado, Riley Jordan, wife of New Hampshire’s famous Blue Dolphin restaurant, Bobby Jordan, happens under Josie’s own nose (almost literally) on Prescott’s property. But who could want the fashionable and charitable Riley Jordan dead? The woman was shy of press, cherished her priva
Becky Tatar
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Josie's friend, Riley, collects vintage clothing. Together, at Prescott's Antiques, they are going to give a workshop on collecting handbags and shoes. When Riley doesn't show up, Josie starts anyway. Going under the presentation table to get an easel, Josie discovers Riley's body. Great whodunit, with a lot of suspects with valid reasons to get rid of Riley.

What's great about this series, is that besides the mystery, you learn about the antiques trade, and whatever type of item is featured in t
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
First of this series I've read. It was okay. A reasonable sense of place, but the character development was pretty poor. It was interesting to learn a little about what it might be like to run an antiques business, but other than the vintage clothing featured in this particular book, there wasn't much about antiques.
Madelyn Flammia
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book even though it was easy to guess who the murderer was from the beginning. All the discussion of vintage fashion was fascinating. The characters are very likeable. I plan to read all the books in the series.
Sharon Lesperance
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this series. I like the history and methods of the antique business. I like the characters, they are just a little quirky. And it's a cozy read. Not complicated, but enjoyable to read.
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cozy murder mystery.
Penny Sunser
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has been one of my fav series, but this one didn't reach the mark.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Josie is spreading into vintage clothing. A vintage clothing expert, and friend, is murdered just before giving a talk on the subject. Lots of good twists and turns.
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent read. I got this as a free book for filling out a survey--and 3 other books too (also a check for a dollar). This is a way to entice me to buy more books.

Anyway, although I usually like to read a series in order (this is #6 of the JOSIE PRESCOTT ANTIQUES MYSTERY Series), I read this because it sounded really good, and it was. Although I know nothing about antique clothing this book didn't bore you to death with details but did give interesting info about antique clothing. I
Connie Deeter
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good read - I have read all of Jane Cleland's books about Josie Prescott - it is amazing how Jane has brought Josie from a ' basket case' after losing her job in New York and the death of her Father. It seems like all she did was cry -

I was very fortunate to meet Jane in Chapel Hill NC on Friday June 3 and it was so great to hear directly from her how she has seen Jose move along in dealing with all the tragedies in her life. Josie still seems very vulnerable to me, but is handli
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not only a clever mystery but an interesting theme mystery as well. Josie Prescott is an Antiques dealer/appraiser and she has a crack team working for her. She loves what she does and she's good at it. But she isn't greedy or money grubby which makes her an enjoyable protagonist. She has taken to giving classes in DIY antique collecting. One of her close friends, an antique clothing connoisseur, is co-teaching with her. When she fails to show up for class (but actually turns up dead un ...more
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Josie Prescott owns an antiques company in Rocky Point NH. She dates the former chief of police for Rocky Point, who now works for Homeland Security. Josie's friend, Riley, is murdered at the warehouse one night while she is there to deliver a lecture on vintage clothing. Josie is named a trustee for Riley's will which establishes a charitable foundation for fashion. Josie's assistant, Gretchen, becomes a target when she remembers the type of automobile she saw pulling away from the parking lot ...more
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Coincidence or not? I recently burned through Lea Wait’s mystery series involving an antique print collector who often finds herself embroiled in murders and frequently on the coast of Maine. Reading Cleland’s latest mystery, I had forgotten her connection to antique collectors turned sleuth in Maine with her protagonist, Josie Prescott. I enjoyed catching up with familiar characters from previous books especially those who have sharpened their antique dealer skills or have found happiness. Agai ...more
Vicki Gooding
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just finished this book. I didn't realize that it was part of a series, but that did not matter. The main character of the book owns a vintage antique business in a little town of NH. A close group of friends that had an interest of fashion formed a little class to learn more. It provides tidbits of knowledge on vintage clothing and antiques interwoven in the mystery for those of us who may not know much about designer clothing. It reads like a Murder She Wrote. A murder found in her shop. Clo ...more
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Fashions fade, but death is eternal in Agatha finalist Jane K. Cleland’s irresistible new blend of vintage and vengeanceJosie Prescott has begun hosting classes at her antiques and appraisals shop, nestled in the cozy little coastal town of Rocky Point, New Hampshire. The next class is on building a great vintage clothing collection. But when guest lecturer Riley Jordan is late, Josie begins class by reaching under a display table for a dazzling pair of Chanel heels. But instead of the heels, sh ...more
Debbie Maskus
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a series set on the coast of New Hampshire about Josie Prescott, owner of Prescott’s Antiques, who is nosy and cannot pass a murder investigation. A good friend of Josie's, Riley Jordan has the bad fortune of being strangled at Josie's business. Then Gretchen, an employee of Josie's is shot and then her apartment falls victim to an arsonist. As usual, in a Jane Cleland novel, the whys and wheres of antiques are explained. This story centers on vintage clothing, and the stories are intere ...more
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
The 6th in the Josie Prescott series finds Josie dealing with the murder of one of her friends, Riley, at her store, Prescott Antiques. Not only was Riley Josie's friend, but she was also at the store to act as a guest lecturer on vintage clothing. Who could have killed Riley and why? Josie is drawn into the search for the killer after one of her employees is also endangered. Will the case be solved before some one else ends up dead? Although this book is the six in the series, it can be read in ...more
McArthur Library Staff Picks
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reader-picks
This summer I read all six books in the Josie Prescott Antiques mystery series. I started with the most recent one - Deadly Threads. It's a murder-mystery in the Seacoast New Hampshire region. It started with the main character adopting a cat that stayed in her antique shop. This book was interesting, fun and suspenseful--and inspired me to read all 5 others. I hope there will be more books in this series! (Librarians Note: as of this moment there are now 10 books in the series! Enjoy!)
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
#6 in the Josie Prescott mystery series. Prescott is a clothing antiques dealer in New Hampshire who operates a small company. The mystery involves the murder of a good friend of Josie that takes place at Josie's company's location. So it is personal for Josie who works with the local newspaper editor finding information relating to the murder and feeding clues to the police chief that eventually solves the murder.

It is a nice easy read that is not overly complicated.
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
Jane Cleland's series with Josie Prescott keeps getting better with each book. This one focused on vintage fashion. The "who done it" was a surprise at the end and wasn't obvious. Cleland's research into the different antiques is readily apparent and always provides a fascinating education on something new. The vintage fashion info was no different.

I think Hank is a great addition to Prescott's and look forward to his involvement in other upcoming stories.
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vintage designer clothes are the focus of this latest in the Josie Prescott antiques appraisal cozy mystery series. Once again Josie becomes embroiled in a murder and works hard to piece together the whodunnit and why with her reporter pal Wes. Her business is booming, her staff is awesome, they have a store cat as an adorable mascot, and she even has an intern to mentor. Couture and a killer make an interesting combo for this book.
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
#6 in the Josie Prescott antiques mystery series. Josie finds yet another body and just has to figure out who would kill her friend right in the shop. Riley collects antique clothes (vintage). I was surprised at the end when the killer was arrested. I am still not sure if Josie was really on the right track, but she managed to be in the right place at the right time with her reporter friend Wes.
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Josie runs and auction house. In this book of the series, she's branched out into vintage clothes. All the talk of designer labels and fashion might interest some, but it bored me. I thought the actual mystery had potential and I enjoyed Hank the cat. However, overall there was just too much repetition as Josie told her story to the police as well as the press.
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Josie Prescott finds the body of one of her favorite customers hidden beneath a table at her antiques auction room. The wealthy woman's will involves Josie even more in her death. As spring slowly comes to northern New England, Josie realizes that one of her employees, and close friend, has been targeted by a murderer.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love the Josie Prescott series! A kind and thoughtful person, Rosemary Harris, got me a personally autographed copy of this book from Jane Cleland (when I was unable to find it in local bookstores)! How special that was! And the story was great. I love the setting and the characters in this series and hope there are many more to come.
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I believe this is the newest in this antique shop mystery series. A lot of this story was about vintage clothing. Following that other mystery I just read on this topic, it was like deja vu all over again! But this was better written and I'll be waiting for the next in the series.
Michele bookloverforever
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked this book. I enjoyed the plot. I loved the main character: a strong woman who owns an antique shop and auction house a la sotheby's. I especially loved the setting: the NH seacoast where I lived for 2 years and enjoyed a lot.
Mar 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
I knew this was a simple fluff piece at the onset, but hoped for a bit of depth occasionally. Disappointed with shallow characters and flimsy plot. The one saving grace was an interesting stray cat; at least it had some personality.
  • Shadows on the Ivy (Antique Print, #3)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Scary Stuff (Jane Wheel, #6)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • A Gift for Murder
  • Skating Over the Line (Rebecca Robbins, #2)
  • Jericho Cay (Bay Tanner, #11)
  • Swift Edge (A Charlie Swift Mystery #2)
  • A Stitch Before Dying (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #3)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • A Dark And Stormy Night (Dorothy Martin, #10)
  • A Decadent Way to Die (Savannah Reid Mystery, #16)
  • Running on Empty (Main Street Mystery #1)
  • Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company, #5)
  • Among the Departed (Constable Molly Smith #5)
  • Murder Most Persuasive (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #3)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
Jane K. Cleland’s multiple award-winning and IMBA best selling Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery series [St. Martin’s Minotaur] has been reviewed as an Antiques Roadshow for mystery fans. Library Journal named Consigned to Death a "core title" for librarians looking to build a cozy collection, one of only 22 titles listed, along with books by Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers. The full article i ...more
More about Jane K. Cleland...

Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Consigned to Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #2)
  • Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Keepsakes (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #7)
  • Lethal Treasure (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #8)
  • Blood Rubies (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #9)
  • Ornaments of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #10)
  • The Glow of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00